Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times

Advertisements

You probably already know that whenever anyone sets up secret tests to assess the TSA airport security, they always fail.

So it is again bitterly amusing that with all the so-called security, there are those ol' white flags waving in the breeze on the Brooklyn Bridge. I haven't read anything on it yet - I suppose no news source happens to mention how much tax-payers are spending yearly for all that "security"?

As with the NSA, we fund it, someone profits from it, they collect information (which they sell), and it mostly all seems to be misguided or even downright useless. Not to mention that most "security" is only designed to help after the fact.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 01:18 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
This is why you have to be your own security. Those of us in the law enforcement community with brains tell our friends and family all the time that you cannot count on the police, TSA, DHS, or whatever new 3-letter agency the government comes up with to protect you.

I just got back from the doctor's office. He saw my daughter with me and asked if there were guns in my house. I said there's one in your office right now. He asked if I thought his office was unsafe. I told him no place is safe enough for my kids to forgo the protection of my firearm. He actually smiled at that one.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:58 PM

260 posts, read 434,328 times
You really can't trust the government to protect you 100% of the time. It's why I never favor anti-gun legislation, because a slippery slope of anti-gun laws always seems to follow.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 AM

102 posts, read 142,679 times
its true what airbornguy said, be your own security

Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:

You really can't trust the government to protect you 100% of the time.
In fact perhaps the opposite.

Ben Franklin: "He who would trade his rights for security, deserves neither."

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-25-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
You really can't trust the government to protect you 100% of the time. It's why I never favor anti-gun legislation, because a slippery slope of anti-gun laws always seems to follow.
I'm sorry, but this is absurd. I didn't say anything about 100%. I'm talking about extravagant systems that always fail. And I'm certainly not talking about people waving around guns with the silly idea of personal safety. I wouldn't expect citizens to be called with their guns to guard the bridge.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:15 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
I'd argue you can only rely on the government to protect you maybe 5% of the time. If a criminal wants to commit a crime, there is almost nothing you can do to stop them. Over the top security at the airport and train stations is all a big show to provide the illusion of security and make little old ladies "feel better". Meanwhile you get detained for nail clippers and extra large bottles of Pantene Pro-V.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 PM

As CIDA implied, security is always geared to solve THE LAST crime.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:52 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You probably already know that whenever anyone sets up secret tests to assess the TSA airport security, they always fail.

So it is again bitterly amusing that with all the so-called security, there are those ol' white flags waving in the breeze on the Brooklyn Bridge. I haven't read anything on it yet - I suppose no news source happens to mention how much tax-payers are spending yearly for all that "security"?

As with the NSA, we fund it, someone profits from it, they collect information (which they sell), and it mostly all seems to be misguided or even downright useless. Not to mention that most "security" is only designed to help after the fact.

Does secuirty at the airport matter? They U.S. government is letting undocumented illegal aliens board planes without proper ID. Then the TSA will stop some little American kid and search him

Old 08-02-2014, 07:00 AM

And they knowingly let a plane fly in with two people infected with EBOLA, a deadly infectious disease never encountered in the Western hemisphere.

Do we still feel secure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City