Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So why waste their time? Do it in your house.
Hmm very true. I remember 2 years ago someone hanged their their self at work. Seriously I thought the body was a Manakin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 06:58 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I guess my opinion is why wasn't there one already? I always wondered that.
Wind-loading.

A fence, even though it might be mesh, acts like a giant sail and catches the wind, which could affect the performance of the bridge/cause problems with the deck and endanger the drivers in their cars on the bridge. Not a great tradeoff to potentially kill a bunch of innocent drivers to save one or two suicides.

Have you ever gotten out of your car and stood on the GWB or any other high bridge and felt how much it moves in the wind on a normal day? Imagine a high wind slamming into a mile-long, nine-foot high fence and what that might do to the performance of the bridge.

There's a demand for some type of suicide-prevention fence on bridges all across the country. Engineers have been working to develop something that will stand up to wind-loading with the right type of materials and design, but if it was that simple, it would already be in place. The mesh has to be small enough to not allow people to give their fingers and toes a hold so they can climb it and yet let the wind pass through. Meanwhile, some bridge authorities, such as with the Golden Gate, have put nets under the bridge to catch jumpers.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They still give NYPD the trouble of having to go to the bridge. Whatever happened to running the car in the garage with a garden hose to the exhaust pipe, or a whole bottle of Tylenol? Do it in your own house.
The trouble with Tylenol is that it doesn't kill you right away. It damages your liver, but it can take days before you begin to feel the effects.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,409 times
No matter when or where, suicide is often a mess:
Sad story:
Brother of

Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think they should be free to jump off the bridge because jumping in front of trains and jumping out of windows onto the street is a danger to others,traumatizes witnesses and creates major inconvenience for other subway riders.Jumping off a bridge is much more considerate of others.
Those bridge jumpers force the port authority to shut down all of I-95 and backs up traffic for miles in the Bronx and Jersey. Those ungrateful a**holes who aren't happy should just find a car to turn on in a garage somewhere

Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Those bridge jumpers force the port authority to shut down all of I-95
After they jump? Just tow the car, if there is one, and send out the harbor units.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
How stupid.
I guess then ALL bridges will need fences. All high rises will need their windows sealed above the third floor. Cruise ships will have to be wrapped in chicken wire and, of course, all subways will be closed.

Do all bureaucrats need proof of a frontal lobotomy before they are hired?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,663,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How stupid.
I guess then ALL bridges will need fences. All high rises will need their windows sealed above the third floor. Cruise ships will have to be wrapped in chicken wire and, of course, all subways will be closed.

Do all bureaucrats need proof of a frontal lobotomy before they are hired?
I think the stats probably back up a special case for the GWB as a suicide perp's target. On top of that, these jerks cause major major traffic problems every week and for that reason alone this is a good idea

Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 PM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Believe me, someone throwing himself in front of the #6 train causes a LOT more trouble than needing to tow a car off the GWB. Worst case scenario...one lane is blocked. It would probably take aseveral suicides a day for a year to equal the chaos of Chrisie ordering a few traffic cones be politically placed.

Any guesses how much traffic will be snarled while they put up a couple miles of fencing on the bridge? Fences don't fall from heaven.

But since PATH can set any fares it likes and enjoys a steady waterfall of money, I guess time and money are no object to stupid ideas, and stupid this one is.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Believe me, someone throwing himself in front of the #6 train causes a LOT more trouble than needing to tow a car off the GWB. Worst case scenario...one lane is blocked. It would probably take aseveral suicides a day for a year to equal the chaos of Chrisie ordering a few traffic cones be politically placed.

Any guesses how much traffic will be snarled while they put up a couple miles of fencing on the bridge? Fences don't fall from heaven.

But since PATH can set any fares it likes and enjoys a steady waterfall of money, I guess time and money are no object to stupid ideas, and stupid this one is.
You mean PA, not PATH. PATH is a corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the PA, and it loses money. The fares don't cover the electric bill, let alone the salaries and equipment.

Your governor and mine set the PA tolls so that they have lots of money to dip into for their state pet projects. Well, actually they do this by having the Board members set the fares, but they appointed the Board members and the Board does what Albany and Trenton say to do. My governor's getting looked at right now for being just a tad too greedy about this. Your governor's being very quiet about the whole thing so they don't look at him.

We get the NJ Transit suicides all the time, and yes, train suicides create more havoc than bridge jumpers do. I've been on a train that someone used to commit suicide. It backed up the entire line and we were stuck sitting there for hours. The engineer has to get debriefed and take time off because you can't stop a jillion-ton train in time to avoid killing the idiot who sits on or steps onto the track just ahead and so he or she gets to watch them ground into little pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City