Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I do get it.

My job is in Manhattan and I live in the Bronx...the NORTH Bronx. I have worked in various areas of Manhattan from Harlem to the LES. There are very few places in any of the 5 boroughs that take longer than one hour to get to Manhattan.
So apparently you accept the situation as it is, which is fine. But your acceptance of it does not solve the worsening traffic/housing situation that nyc is presswd with mainly due to outdated city planning and manhattan-centered job/business/entertainment/traffic operations that was based on ~2mil populations 100 years ago.

Would you be happier if your job is relocated near where you live in the bronx, or if there were affordble housing options in manhattan that allows you to cut your commute time in half? I understand that there are ppl who do not mind or even enjoy long train commutes...but there are a LOT who do and could use that time wasted on crowded trains for more productivity elsewhere. I also understand those who are settled in manhattan and object the diversion of any business opportunities into outter boros to preserve their property values. Agan, things have changed drastically in the past decade, as Bkly is no longer the summer village for manhatanites, or SI no longer servea a dumpster site of manhattan, but both have become densely populated. Shifting those populatuon from the outter boros into/away from manhattan daily are becomng a huge burden on the infrastructure and also is a drag on the efficiency and productivity of nyc as a whole, not to mention the inhumane/insane commuting conditions that most commuters have to endure due to the dated city planning and aged infrastructure.

once jobs are dispersed throughout the boros, and multuple "manhattan-like" centers are established, better use of the nyc land and other resources will follow and those non-resident buys of houses will have less an impact on the overall housing supplies throughout nyc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I bet you dollars to donuts they could have found something to buy somewhere. When I bought my apartment, it was less than $200K. My sister bought a studio in Yonkers for something like $25K, and the value is still in the five digits. You can find deals close to the city if you look for them.

But people want to rent, and then either the complain that they can't afford the rent they knew was going to increase, or if they have some sort of rent regulated deal, they complain that the LL wants to get rid of them because they're paying a quarter of what the apartment is worth. Sorry, I have very little sympathy for either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You need some to consider finding some humility and gratitude regarding your own ability to find the wherewithal to buy. I am certainly grateful for all of my privileges. I cannot imagine suggesting that I have them because I am superior to anyone else who does not.

There are many people who simply cannot lay their hands on the cash, and lately, many people coming of age for whom buying in the areas in which they grew up - even relatively "poor" areas - is near impossible.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:13 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
What you perceive as solving a problem in reality would just create a problem for someone else. Hypothetical situation: The Bronx becomes a job center and a Brooklynite has to find a way to get to their job in the Bronx. How would that work better for them than commuting to Manhattan? There is no way to accomodate everyone and people have to make choices.

As far as it goes with me, I'm satisfied with my commute and my housing at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
once jobs are dispersed throughout the boros, and multuple "manhattan-like" centers are established, better use of the nyc land and other resources will follow and those non-resident buys of houses will have less an impact on the overall housing supplies throughout nyc.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:04 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I bet you dollars to donuts they could have found something to buy somewhere. When I bought my apartment, it was less than $200K. My sister bought a studio in Yonkers for something like $25K, and the value is still in the five digits. You can find deals close to the city if you look for them.

But people want to rent, and then either the complain that they can't afford the rent they knew was going to increase, or if they have some sort of rent regulated deal, they complain that the LL wants to get rid of them because they're paying a quarter of what the apartment is worth. Sorry, I have very little sympathy for either.

Keep in mind - that is the past. Things are just vastly different now, both directly related to real estate purchasing and alongside, things about available income and earning power: student loan industry; re-working of job industries; and so on.

Again, you should feel lucky and so should your sister. Many people should. And tenants have a right to complain if their landlord is working to "get rid of them."

Old 08-04-2014, 12:33 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
I sometimes got too fancy sarcasm for my audience to appreciate
In the absence of a smiley, try italics for sarcasm.
P.S. You don't have an audience.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:42 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Then, why do we read that millions of Japanese commute hours on super-trains, to get to their jobs?

Old 08-04-2014, 01:28 PM

68 posts, read 85,470 times
Quote:
While millions of ppl spend 40+ min commuting to work in Manhattan each way to cripple the already run down MTA system, half of Manhattan buildings/apartments are unoccupied most of the days during the year. The Federal/State/City officials get to come up with some regulations to
1) either transfer some of the manhattan-based business/jobs into outter boros
2) or implement policies that make better use of the residential spaces in manhatan to facilitate the lives of NYC tax-paying residents, instead of letting them become the vacation homes of world riches who raely show up.
3) or build lux apts/relocate entertainment/recreational facilities into outter boros to free up more space for productive tax-paying NYC residents to work and live in manhattan.
4 or please add your words of wisdom on this pressing/worsening pathetic housing/living condition due to polarizing wealth distributions.

There is a very simple solution, break down the projects in Harlem, and Lower East Side. There are many NYCHA building taking up prime real estate in Manhattan. People living in these projects are not working in Downtown Manhattan, nor are the contributing to the boroughs prosperity. Provide Section 8 vouchers to the residence and privatize the land.

It's a win-win for everyone. NYCHA residence are able to move and go to a more affordable neighborhood, while more market rate and affordable rentals can be built.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:41 PM

[quote=Oodaloop;35943724]There is a very simple solution, break down the projects in Harlem, and Lower East Side. There are many NYCHA building taking up prime real estate in Manhattan. People living in these projects are not working in Downtown Manhattan, nor are the contributing to the boroughs prosperity. Provide Section 8 vouchers to the residence and privatize the land.

It's a win-win for everyone. NYCHA residence are able to move and go to a more affordable neighborhood, while more market rate and affordable rentals can be built.[/QUOT

that is a hot potatoto and has to be dealt with more care to avoid mob revolution.....

if you make manhatta less attractive, they will become less intended to hold on to their manhattan housing right.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:58 PM

Obama tells rich: Keep your fancy homes

In an interview with The Economist last week the President said when he brings up income inequality, he's not trying to "stir class resentment" like his political opponents say.
[CENTER] [/CENTER]

"Feel free to keep your house in the Hamptons and your corporate jet ... I'm not concerned about how you're living," he said.
However, he said he obsesses with the fact that under his watch those at the top are getting a larger and larger share of the economy, whereas middle-class and working-class families are stuck.
"Their wages and incomes are stagnant. They've been stagnant for almost two decades now," he said.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Obama tells rich: Keep your fancy homes

In an interview with The Economist last week the President said when he brings up income inequality, he's not trying to "stir class resentment" like his political opponents say.
[CENTER] [/CENTER]

"Feel free to keep your house in the Hamptons and your corporate jet ... I'm not concerned about how you're living," he said.
However, he said he obsesses with the fact that under his watch those at the top are getting a larger and larger share of the economy, whereas middle-class and working-class families are stuck.
"Their wages and incomes are stagnant. They've been stagnant for almost two decades now," he said.
Now that is rich since it was under Obama's administration and or policies/decisions by those who he put in charge of the Treasury, Federal Reserve and other key positions that have contributed to the run up on Wall Street and in some areas of housing that have made the "One Percent" even wealthier. Yes, some of this has trickled down to others in the terms of rising home values and asset portfolios but on balance it was still more of them that got, gets.

Larry Summer, Timothy Geithner and the rest all did well for themselves and their real masters (the banks) and have moved on.

Finally it is always interesting when Obama talks out of both sides of his mouth. One day he's talking smack about "the rich" the next he's attending fund raising events by Wall Street or other wealthy persons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City