Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:50 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times

Advertisements

Im still laughing at the more attractive people in the midwest part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,616 times
it's not that easy for us to move outta here. we have to have jobs in those midwest/square states lined up. work is not easy to find. you also must own a car. many of us also have careers here that, if reset, will start us back on the rookie pay scale. moving up and out is something for young'uns (al bundy's words) or those with no set career line.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:41 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Im still laughing at the more attractive people in the midwest part
most girls in nyc DO dress like men though. tshirts, jeans, loose baggy clothing, no makeup, undone hair. the guy has a point. girls in nyc do not look like nor care to look feminine.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:46 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
When you point a finger there are three fingers pointing back at you.
No they aren't. They are actually curled into my fist, pointing either to the left or right of me depending on the hand I'm using. You hypocrite.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
it's not that easy for us to move outta here. we have to have jobs in those midwest/square states lined up. work is not easy to find. you also must own a car. many of us also have careers here that, if reset, will start us back on the rookie pay scale. moving up and out is something for young'uns (al bundy's words) or those with no set career line.
Agreed. That and it is difficult to save up and move due to how expensive it is here.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:34 PM

424 posts, read 973,918 times
Native of Chicago and lived in NYC for a number of year up until last year now living in Westchester. Have to be honest while I have 1/2 my family in the Chicago area I would never move back to the Midwest, it's not where I'd like to live for a number of reasons. While I no longer "need" to live within the 5 boroughs it's nice to have it a Metro North ride away into Grand Central. The Northeast is more "me" and that's fine you just have to find where you feel "at home" The suburb I live in now is a happy medium of what I'm looking for.

There's a lot of generalizations being thrown around here about both the Midwest and NYC. But there are grains of truth though in some of the posts, specifically about transplants coming here expecting glitz and glam and then ending up disappointed or depressed and moving back home when the city doesn't meet whatever expectations they had; many times formed from the media. For post grads with college debt looking to start their careers the push factors (mostly financial stress) are greater than what pulled them here. Stress like that coupled with a high cost of living here takes a big bite out of quality of life; that I agree with.

Part of it also boils down to the different regional cultures and socio-demographics but that's way too long to get into here.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:56 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
most girls in nyc DO dress like men though. tshirts, jeans, loose baggy clothing, no makeup, undone hair. the guy has a point. girls in nyc do not look like nor care to look feminine.
A cake face layer of make up on an average face does not offset the chub rub thighs and muffin top waistline you find in a lot of middle America. People in NYC (and I'd say in large cosmopolitan cities on the coasts) tend to be more attractive. Women come here to break into modeling and acting. Professions like sales, media, marketing and PR tend to hire attractive women for the client facing roles. Even service jobs like waiters or bar tenders tend to be attractive.

You don't have to prance around in a mini skirt and heels to be considered attractive. In fact women that do that all the time are probably trying to compensate for the fact that they have an average looking face at best.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM

672 posts, read 757,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
A cake face layer of make up on an average face does not offset the chub rub thighs and muffin top waistline you find in a lot of middle America. People in NYC (and I'd say in large cosmopolitan cities on the coasts) tend to be more attractive. Women come here to break into modeling and acting. Professions like sales, media, marketing and PR tend to hire attractive women for the client facing roles. Even service jobs like waiters or bar tenders tend to be attractive.

You don't have to prance around in a mini skirt and heels to be considered attractive. In fact women that do that all the time are probably trying to compensate for the fact that they have an average looking face at best.
People looking for pretty girls would be better served by LA. Plus, the weather's very nice there.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:38 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

Not for nothing but women outside of NYC for me tend to be more attractive face wise in my eyes. But then again that's me. But overall you are right. Come to think of it, last week when I was in Williamsburg I went to Viva Toro, the the bartender was a chubby Transplant. I highly doubt her looks got her the gig. LA or Miami would be best place for women with a pretty face.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 PM

107 posts, read 198,341 times
What's interesting is that many of us from outside NYC put the city up on a pedestal of all that is better, higher, mightier, more this, more that....as if every institution, every trend, every meme was the Juliard of its class. Once you live here for a while, you realize how little of that is true. There is just more of everything, which to many people, especially the young, is often confused with better.

The 90s and early '00s were truly amazing times here and I loved being part of it as a drunk and drugged high schooler. Then Sonic Youth left and the billionaires started to arrive. The rest is pretty much the boring story of the corrupting and whitewashing power of lots of money concentrated into a small place. It's been repeated in many cities over thousands of years and New York will not be the last. But I agree it is particularly sad to see the soul of something as rich as New York fade away.

My advice to anyone from the Midwest or anywhere else who is finding they are not liking it here: we are blessed with a big country. There are incredible things going on in all aspects of life in Cleveland, Richmond, Austin, Nashville, Denver, and even Milwaukee. Mid-sized cities are the new incubators. Perhaps they don't carry the whiz and bang of New York but I wonder if that whiz and bang is worth the struggle anymore. I don't think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City