Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

I like Nyc but I sure don't love it. Is NYC overrated? It really depends on the person. By my observation it is overrated. But my Pov of NYC is vastly different from other readers and posters on here. NYC is really a hit or miss place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:48 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
It is overpriced even when factoring in supply and demand. How silly to suggest that an affordable city would spell disaster. NYC was affordable and safe in the mid 20th century when manufacturing and small businesses flourished.

Wow have things changed...
I'm sorry I didn't know that stuff really meant anything till this day? Clearly since you are from the Midwest you would see how the lost of those particular jobs ruined the Midwest and the inner east coast?

Cities are now embracing industry careers not manufacturing. So supply and demand is based off that. It would be one thing if only NYC was victim to this but clearly something is wrong with you if you do not see this trend among all cities across the globe and especially in the US.

San Fran, Boston, DC all expensive because of industries and supply and demand.

Other cities that aren't as expensive are facing increases in rent because of the same issues. Do you honestly think that Detroit will be cheap once the city is discovered again? Nope which is why plenty of people that I know ravaged through Detroit just to get piece of any property they could, because? The rents will rise through the roofs when it's back to being motor city.

People aren't moving to places to be happy unless they are old and retired. Happiness to people nowadays is finding a passion in what they love and going to the city that will cater to it.

The whole overpriced thing is blown way out of proportion on these forums.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
A city that will tax & work you to unhappiness just isn't worth it.
This is the second time on this thread that you have mentioned how unhappy NY makes people. Yet, despite your dozens of complaints about this place, you jump up and down to say how happy you are here. (Or at least you don't like it when someone implies that you are not happy here.)

It amazes me that you can create a whole thread of complaints about NYC and emphasize that NY creates unhappiness, yet the second someone suggests that this place is making YOU unhappy, you get defensive.

So I guess you're so HAPPY here, but you have a crystal ball and know that everyone else would be MISERABLE.

Quote:
I let them know that it was ranked one of the unhappiest cities and that many transplants become very depressed and want to move back to their native areas within a year. I could tell they didn't like me sobering up their naiveness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
NY isn't for everyone. It's very sad to me that there are people posting in this thread like OP, and the other poster that OP is applauding, who spend not only years but possibly DECADES being unhappy here. Just leave already!
Quote:
Where is there indication that I'm not happy here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Your entire first post.
Quote:
That's just your perception

Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Just came back from the wonderful midwest (small town Wisconsin & Minneapolis) and am realizing how foolish people are to want to live in NY! I probably wouldn't feel this way if it wasn't for gentrification. What is the allure in today's gentrified NY? Everywhere you look there's an eye sore retail chain or large development. All of this development has torn the city's heritage and character apart. Compared to the beautiful midwest , NY is largely:

-Overpriced
-Crowded
-hostile to small, independent businesses
-Has uglier looking and acting people (Sure there is more obesity in the midwest but sexy men/woman were a dime a dozen)

Don't get me wrong, I still really like NY but this trip really made me want to give up on it. It's one thing if it was expensive but expensive just isn't worth it when you're bleeding out uniqueness and individuality.

I talked with a couple of folks that were born and raised in Wisconsin and said they aren't interested in moving to NY ever. I told them they were wise because life is a lot easier and more pleasant there.

I did however speak with midwesterners that wanted to move to NY and I admonished them to stay away. I let them know that it was ranked one of the unhappiest cities and that many transplants become very depressed and want to move back to their native areas within a year. I could tell they didn't like me sobering up their naiveness.
And like I tell everybody who makes posts like this - don't cry because you don't make enough money to live the way you want to here. Too bad. Go back to school, or learn a trade.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
And like I tell everybody who makes posts like this - don't cry because you don't make enough money to live the way you want to here. Too bad. Go back to school, or learn a trade.
Precisely and this is happening on most threads all over city-data. People who failed at succeeding in their cities and provide negative input to others as if that particular person is living the same lifestyle as them.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:42 PM

17 posts, read 22,165 times
As a native from the Midwest I feel compelled to add my 2 cents. This city has a lot going for it, but I can see where outsiders would complain about quality of life. I am 32 and living in worse conditions than I was straight of of college in the Midwest. I make decent money, $130k a year, but after maxing out my 401k and paying taxes and rent, I am really not left with all that much. I think that is the main complaint of this city, quality of life is terrible for those that have experienced elsewhere. Rather than make digs at those that are from here and appreciate all things New York, I am happily relocating with salary to Chicago. I am thankful for my experiences here the past 5 years and liken it to attending a top level grad school. At the end of the day I just appreciate the affordability and work life balance of the Midwest more than the excitement of here. NYC is great for outsiders to gain experience and see a different type of lifestyle, just because it isn't what you like, doesn't make it a bad place for others.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow51 View Post
I am 32 and living in worse conditions than I was straight of of college in the Midwest. I make decent money, $130k a year, but after maxing out my 401k and paying taxes and rent, I am really not left with all that much.
Something is wrong with your spending habits.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Because I chose to live in Manhattan and pay $2,000 a month in rent? At 32 I should be able to live in a nicer place than a studio apartment and save over $1000 month on my salary. This city doesn't allow for it between taxes and everyday costs. I am not interested in making an hour commute to queens each night where cost of living is better.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow51 View Post
Because I chose to live in Manhattan and pay $2,000 a month in rent? At 32 I should be able to live in a nicer place than a studio apartment and save over $1000 month on my salary. This city doesn't allow for it between taxes and everyday costs. I am not interested in making an hour commute to queens each night where cost of living is better.
That was my original point - people get distraught because they don't make enough money to live the way they want to here. You want a short commute, ask your boss for a raise.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That was my original point - people get distraught because they don't make enough money to live the way they want to here. You want a short commute, ask your boss for a raise.
Thanks for criticizing my life choices. Guess I should only post happy comments that are pro New York. I thought my original post was pretty neutral and non offensive, but so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City