Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 05:54 AM

271 posts, read 454,984 times

Advertisements

Man has this forum changed. Someone mentioned it in an earlier post but back in 07 the only thing you'll see in the threads were actual questions about which garages to pick, what the next step in the process was, medical questions, etc etc. it seemed like honest men asking/receiving help from other test takers or guys on the job.

Now however, just seems like a bunch of children.

If you have a high list number go away! We DO NOT need you here.

Anyone remember when the forum would be quiet for months until the next step? Now it's 20 posts a day on how venom loves to suck čock.

SMH

Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 AM

529 posts, read 727,020 times
Is 2100's to high??? Should I leave??

Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 AM

122 posts, read 202,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub718 View Post
Nope, 1900's here. We good.

Just gotta ride the wait through.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:58 AM

353 posts, read 471,316 times
Quote:
Take a look at the bold text below. He is basing it on years past, so it may vary by a few hundred either way. No one can predict the future of course.
One thing is for certain, with a List of 2100, 2016 is a no, 2017 is a big big maybe, 2018 is more likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I have some free time, so here you people go. The comprehensive Mikfleye3 guide to getting hired by DSNY.

First, check your list number. If your above 5,000, move on with your life. If your below 5,000 congrats keep reading!

Since all you people seem to care about are your chances of getting on, here is my educated opinion (it's probably pretty close).

First understand that there is no set amount the dept. Will hire, these are estimates. Some years the dept. Hires 0 people, some they hire 200, some they hire 700... You get it? It's all determined by the need of the dept. Based on talks between the union and the city and how many the union can get approval for.

With that in mind, here are my guesses....(obviously list numbers could be +/- 2-300 depending on how many people are drug addicts or can't pass a road test etc.

2016- under the assumption of 4-500 hires, list numbers 1-900.
2017- assuming 4-500 hires. List numbers 900-2000
2018- assuming 4-500 hires. List number 2000-3250
2019- assuming 4-500 hires. List numbers 3250-5000

Those people in the 4,000-5000 range are borderline, and may not make it.

If you are within hiring range this is basically how the process goes...

First know that the city will not baby you, YOU alone are responsible to take this job, they will not walk you through it, or give you second chances. They also aren't the most organized, so be pro active, make copies of everything they send you and everything you give them. Be early for everything, on time is late. Early is on time. Be prepared, be diligent, and respect the opportunity your being given, realize 65,000 people want to be in your spot.

First you will get notice for your physical. It's easy, if you fail this you don't deserve to be on this planet. It's basic lifting and walking. It's given in LIC. You'll know if you passed right away but you'll receive written notice in the mail.

Second, as they are approaching your list number , give or take 1k-2k names from being hired, you'll receive a letter for pre orientation. This is given in Manhattan, the letter will tell you what to bring. It's basic paperwork, proof or residency, high school diploma, drivers LIC. Etc. while at pre orientation they will ask if you have your CDL class B with tank and air brakes (no K restriction). If you don't have it already (I recommend that you do), the dept will give you instructions on signing up for a DSNY CDL training program... If you don't have the LIC. take the damn training program. Also at this orientation they will give you your medical date.

Next is medical. You will initially report to Manhattan. They will give you the following tests. Drug test (urine, and breathylizer). EKG, vision test, basic physical (bend down, cough, hammer to knee). Blood pressure. Then same day you will travel uptown to take a hearing test, then you will travel to Brooklyn for X-rays, where they will check lower back and chest X-ray. You will then go on your own to a labcorp to take your blood work. After like 10 days you will call to find out if you passed medical. If you did you wait some more.

Now when they reach your number for hiring, and you passed everything and have your license ready to go, you will receive a phone call asking if you want the job and where to report for final processing ( back in Manhattan).

At final processing you will again need to provide more paper work. They will tel you what to bring. They will tell you where to go online to fill out your cpd (application basically) past employment, education, personal details etc. at final processing you will take your ID picture and fill out tax forms and all related employment documents. If you manage not to screw any of that up, they will give you a slip telling you what time and date to report to Floyd Bennet field (location of DSNY training). On that date only you are officially an employee and have all our benefits and will be getting paid.

From there you have 30 days of training. After which you will get assigned a garage, you will not have a choice of location. You have an 18 month probationary period. If you screw up they WILL fire you. No second chances. To make probation just show up early, sober, keep your mouth shut, and don't call out of work.

Congrats. And Welcome to the best job in the world....

I'm not proof reading that and I'm typing on an iPhone so if there's typos, deal with it

Old 10-12-2015, 07:59 AM

712 posts, read 1,207,177 times
Anyone else taken physicals this month? I have mine on the 27.

Question: when you pass will you get a letter in the mail?.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:10 AM

I'm not worried about someone posting when THEY think I will get on. When I get on I get on. Be it next year or the year after. I personally know 5 people under 1k list number that are not taking the job.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:11 AM

353 posts, read 471,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcgeorgee View Post
Anyone else taken physicals this month? I have mine on the 27.

Question: when you pass will you get a letter in the mail?.
Mine is Oct 28

From what i've read, you find out instantly of you pass or fail. You will also get a letter in the mail sometime later.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:14 AM

122 posts, read 202,905 times
Quote:
I'm not worried about someone posting when THEY think I will get on. When I get on I get on. Be it next year or the year after. I personally know 5 people under 1k list number that are not taking the job.
Really? They got better jobs since feb then

Old 10-12-2015, 08:17 AM

One been in school for a different field and not gonna waste the money and schooling for sanitation. Another has his own business that blew up. People have different reasons for taking it.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:22 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,393,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
Mine is Oct 28

From what i've read, you find out instantly of you pass or fail. You will also get a letter in the mail sometime later.
I've said it before and I meant it....if you fail this physical, kill yourself. In fact kill yourself first, I bet your dead body still passes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City