Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

OP, I really hope you are able to land another 6 digit job in the future, for your sake and for your child's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:49 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't divide people like that and I don't see the distinction. For me, the distinction is that you are either asking the government for assistance, or you aren't. You can't expect special treatment just because you personally consider yourself above others asking the government for assistance. If suddenly you are asking the government for assistance and you find that assistance unsatisfactory, you should reconsider your opinion of the "lazy bums" who ask for government assistance, because technically you are now one of them, and you as one of them should realize that it is not 100% their fault that they're poor or that they game the system for benefits. And technically OP led to the system being as bad as it is by having such a disdainful view of the welfare class before she was part of it.... all middle class Americans led to this system being what it is.
some are situational, and many are addicted to relying on the system...and it does not make any difference to you?

on my block there is this white PR lady who works max 4hours a day and get subsidized housing from the city and she is perfectly healthy and able to work and earn her own living but she chooses not to because she finds her way to beg for city support so why work. and there are too many like minded citizens and you categorize them the same as op?

Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 AM

5 posts, read 9,412 times
Thank you @leoliu, @maryleeII and @davidmun & the few people that actually GET IT. The rest of the comments are ignorant and useless. Find another forum if you're just bored and don't have anything positive to contribute.

I've thought of and exhausted my low 401K already between last years time out and now this years, between covering my daughters tuition (recently switched her to public school so that expense will no longer exist) and $2K/month rent that isn't covered by Unemployment - you can do the math- I didn't contribute til I hit my 30's so just a small 401k that they taxed at cash out so it went quickly at almost $2500k/month for 6 months. I don't have a car because we have trains and buses in NYC (I live in an outer borough - not $4k+ in Manhattan - $2k is what an average 2 BR apt costs in an outer borough) so moving to the "boonies" isn't conducive to finding a job without a way to get around somewhere other than NYC. Obviously can't afford to buy a car right now either.

Also NO question I will get back on my feet. I'm intelligent, hardworking and good at what I do so I will find a decent job. Summer also isn't the best time to be out of work because of hiring companies mgmt vacations (an interview process at the same company can take 3-4 months in the summer and 3-4 weeks in the winter bc of coordinating meetings with peoples vacation schedules) and slow periods at many companies so hiring picks up in fall. I don't doubt the right job will be available soon - I'm NOT GIVING UP! - the process is just taking longer than I'd hoped and expected but I absolutely will get another job. Lesson learned about saving more but obviously we can't turn back time. I'm sure all those who have negatively commented on not enough saved have huge savings accounts themselves! This is the type of situation you truly can't understand if you haven't been through something similar. I thought I planned financially but as a single mom you can only save so much. (Kids are expensive - especially teenagers!- anyone who has raised them on their own knows this! And of course I know who her father is - seriously people! lol! must be really bored to go there! There are many different personal reasons people don't get child support and discuss exes so I'm still not going there.) I had consistently done well at work for many years - this rough patch is just that - not indicative of my future. I'm also in my 30's so still learning some of lives tougher lessons. And I am someone who learns from their lessons. I still have 25-30 yrs longer to work. (I have much empathy for those who have had situations like this later in life! I can't imagine how much harder this would be in my 60s.) I couldn't have imagined being out of work for two 3 month periods in 12 months and how the money I'd worked so hard to save would go so fast and that I'd have such a bad strike of luck in a 12mo period after so many consistent years of getting by. I was working in financial industry when market crashed and lost lots of clients and made it through several corporate restucturings and switched markets to try to be working in a more stable environment to be able to provide for my child. I couldn't have imagined this would all happen like it has this past year. MY POINT TO ALL OF THIS invasive conversation is that I would have expected NYS and the gov't that took SO MUCH MONEY out of my paychecks for so long to offer more TEMPORARY support to people like myself who have contributed for so long and will be contributing again soon! WE are the the people who deserve it (and of course those who worked for years and are at retirement age) because screwing people like us is how the economy got so ****ty to begin with and is how it will happen again! If people like me can't pay their rent during a RARE ROUGH PATCH, my landlord can't pay his mortgage and the market stays bad etc etc etc. The whole NYS benefits system needs a serious re-haul and they need to offer better temporary assistance for those who have history of contributing and those who have worked their whole lives and need to retire, etc.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I don't divide people like that and I don't see the distinction. For me, the distinction is that you are either asking the government for assistance, or you aren't.
Exactly. The HRA worker doesn't care about how much you used to make, what position you had before, how you never claimed benefits or that you've "worked all of your life" and paid over $50k in taxes over the years.

Quote:
You can't expect special treatment just because you personally consider yourself above others asking the government for assistance. If suddenly you are asking the government for assistance and you find that assistance unsatisfactory, you should reconsider your opinion of the "lazy bums" who ask for government assistance, because technically you are now one of them, and you as one of them should realize that it is not 100% their fault that they're poor or that they game the system for benefits. And technically OP led to the system being as bad as it is by having such a disdainful view of the welfare class before she was part of it.... all middle class Americans led to this system being what it is.
She gives this long biography about her life as though it's supposed to actually MEAN something. She's been out of work for 12 months and still believes she'll nab that mythical $100K a year job she had when she got laid off. Her and all of the other millions of six figure professionals that got laid off during the years that are now working at Walmart, McDonalds, or trying to collect "disability" or social security early.

NO ONE CARES at the WELFARE OFFICE.

Just take your seat next to those "lazy people" and wait for your number to be called like everyone else.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:54 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,082 times
You still avoid the subject of why you are not collecting child support. That would be an immediate cash flow plus and you are entitled to it. As to your comment about being harder in your 60's actually I find it easier because at that point if you (and I ) made 6 figures during the prime years then your social security will be higher... not high of course but higher than those who were not so lucky to make a good salary during that time. People in their 30's are much worse off because you have major expenses ahead of you and need to account for that in your job planning.You also still have to worry about this for another 30 years. Again forget about the state or federal govt giving you any more . It is OVA. Just try and do the best you can and don't think that accepting a job for $40-$50K is beneath you which is what I am hearing in your post.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
[b]I have trouble commiserating with anyone making 6 figures for 10 years not having 6 figures in the bank. In DEBT yet and still renting?
I agree. Most people making this amount usually own a home.

Quote:
I have always found it bizarre when people can look at the job situation around them and assume THEY will be the only person in the City who could not possibly be fired.
They always do, especially if they have a civil service position. Civil service people feel they can't get fired due to the protections of the unions. The unions didn't help the civil service employees in LA when they lost their jobs.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
You still avoid the subject of why you are not collecting child support. That would be an immediate cash flow plus and you are entitled to it. As to your comment about being harder in your 60's actually I find it easier because at that point if you (and I ) made 6 figures during the prime years then your social security will be higher... not high of course but higher than those who were not so lucky to make a good salary during that time. People in their 30's are much worse off because you have major expenses ahead of you and need to account for that in your job planning.You also still have to worry about this for another 30 years. Again forget about the state or federal govt giving you any more . It is OVA. Just try and do the best you can and don't think that accepting a job for $40-$50K is beneath you which is what I am hearing in your post.

When she goes to the welfare office (HRA), they are going to INSIST that she gives information on the father of the child whether she wants to or not.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredsinglemom View Post
Thank you @leoliu, @maryleeII and @davidmun & the few people that actually GET IT. The rest of the comments are ignorant and useless. Find another forum if you're just bored and don't have anything positive to contribute.

I've thought of and exhausted my low 401K already between last years time out and now this years, between covering my daughters tuition (recently switched her to public school so that expense will no longer exist) and $2K/month rent that isn't covered by Unemployment - you can do the math- I didn't contribute til I hit my 30's so just a small 401k that they taxed at cash out so it went quickly at almost $2500k/month for 6 months. I don't have a car because we have trains and buses in NYC (I live in an outer borough - not $4k+ in Manhattan - $2k is what an average 2 BR apt costs in an outer borough) so moving to the "boonies" isn't conducive to finding a job without a way to get around somewhere other than NYC. Obviously can't afford to buy a car right now either.

Also NO question I will get back on my feet. I'm intelligent, hardworking and good at what I do so I will find a decent job. Summer also isn't the best time to be out of work because of hiring companies mgmt vacations (an interview process at the same company can take 3-4 months in the summer and 3-4 weeks in the winter bc of coordinating meetings with peoples vacation schedules) and slow periods at many companies so hiring picks up in fall. I don't doubt the right job will be available soon - I'm NOT GIVING UP! - the process is just taking longer than I'd hoped and expected but I absolutely will get another job. Lesson learned about saving more but obviously we can't turn back time. I'm sure all those who have negatively commented on not enough saved have huge savings accounts themselves! This is the type of situation you truly can't understand if you haven't been through something similar.
Millions of people have gone through what you have. You're not special in this regard.

Quote:
I thought I planned financially but as a single mom you can only save so much. (Kids are expensive - especially teenagers!- anyone who has raised them on their own knows this!
No one cares. Get child support from the father.

Quote:
MY POINT TO ALL OF THIS invasive conversation is that I would have expected NYS and the gov't that took SO MUCH MONEY out of my paychecks for so long to offer more TEMPORARY support to people like myself who have contributed for so long and will be contributing again soon! WE are the the people who deserve it
See? This is why I talk to you the way I do.

You are now a part of that lowly social class you despise you so much.

Remember that when you're filling out your welfare paperwork online, spending your foodstamps and going to the food pantries.

Here's a link to a website that lists all of the food pantries and programs that can help you with your bills:

Need Help Paying Bills, Debt, and Mortgage

Oh, PLEASE don't tell them how you're not like those "other" poor people. They don't care. If you're coming to them for food or money, you ARE like those "other" poor people.

Quote:
The whole NYS benefits system needs a serious re-haul and they need to offer better temporary assistance for those who have history of contributing and those who have worked their whole lives and need to retire, etc.

Well, you should have thought about this before you and others like you believed the poor was "trash" who deserved NOTHING and supported policies to see this through.

You are now one of them.

Karma's a *****, ain't it?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 9,412 times
marilyn220 - get your own life! You don't even have 1/2 your facts straight (re-read original post since you have so much time on your hands) and obviously are overly opinionated and quite bored to keep negatively posting here. Go find other posts to annoy people on. You are a bored bully hiding behind a computer and you sound like the exact kind of person who has contributed to our screwed up system!
I'll be fine! I've been unemployed for only 3 months in 2014 (other 3 months that are affecting my unemployment were in 2013 - I worked 6 months in between because I do work hard and don't try to take advantage of the system. I took the first job offer I got because I wasn't trying to take advantage and it ended up being a terrible company. I'd probably have been better off continuing to collect the Unemployment then and waiting for a better job offer but hind-site is 20/20). 6 months of employment issues in 20yrs isn't going to ruin my entire career path. It's a misstep not end of the world. I have interviews lined up for the week coming and will keep submitting applications and ultimately get a job in the near future. Obviously some people will sit around bored, combing the internet for posts to negatively comment on because they have nothing better to do with their lives. Sounds like the best life ever! I want to be just like you one day!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
some are situational, and many are addicted to relying on the system...and it does not make any difference to you?
More like fear than addiction. It's very complex. If you took a poll with the average person getting assistance in this city, many will tell you that they'd rather be able to afford everything they need on their own than depend on the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City