Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:39 PM

431 posts, read 659,793 times

Advertisements

I love his blog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
since he is a transplant who moved right to the E Village.
you don't say [/rolleyes emoticon]

Old 08-07-2014, 02:25 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Greenwich Village is dead to me. Upper class Euro trash and transplants took it from groovey to a corporate chain hell. Complete with tourists and fannie packs. Sad.
Sad thing is the "High Line" park is becoming one long dark canyon as every single lot on either side is built up with high rise housing.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Apparently, the one thing that terrifies a lot of NYers more than anything else is not being different than the rest of the country

Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 PM

324 posts, read 467,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Apparently, the one thing that terrifies a lot of NYers more than anything else is not being different than the rest of the country
Yeah I feel like this **** is happening in every part of the country.

We all watch the same tv and use the same facebook and ****. Lo and behold we become a nation of yuppies, hipsters, and chain stores.

Its happening in burbs and cities alike

Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Agreed. And none of them are ghettos to boot.

Gentrification in NYC is way overblowned. Bushwick, Bed Stuy, and Harlem are barely gentrified.
Minus the crime can you explain barely?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Things do change & many times for the worse. My kids have told me that they wish to have lived in NY during the 70s & 80s after seeing some pictures. I do tell them that despite having the luxury of today's improved safety, they are deprived of the character that launched so much creativity & talent. I feel bad for today's generation. They're hypnotized by materialism, the media & corporations. All of which today's NY is built on. It's all for the all mighty dollar...even if it's shallow and bad for young people's well being.

The issue is that NY is so mainstream. Nowadays you're considered an outcast if you leave the city for the burbs. Large swaths of manhattan & now even Brooklyn/queens are unbearably suburban.

Baby strollers, glass towers, hipster clones. And what is with all the pretty gals that can't complete a sentence without interjecting the word like? The place has become a big joke of it's former self.
Your kids look at way to many photos. Meanwhile in the 80s my father had a shotgun pointed at his face while giving a passenger a ride in his cab. Yes lovely time that was.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Maybe people should stop complaining and try to actually contribute to the city's culture rather than complain. As someone who frequently goes out to see live music in the city, the people who seem most interested in actually doing something fun and interesting *are* the hipsters, rich folk, artsy fartsy, and transplants. Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Debbie Harris and Jack Keourac were all transplants. Judging by much of what I see both online and IRL, most people who consider themselves "Real NYers" spend most of their time complaining about rent, taxes, "those people", or whatever.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
, most people who consider themselves "Real NYers" spend most of their time complaining about rent, taxes, "those people", or whatever.
That's because mediocracy doesn't vibe too well with real NY'ers. What YOU are experiencing in MEDIOCRE at best and you are paying out of your you know what for it.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:38 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Doesn't happen often but I agree with Bluedog. Manhattan has been changing from old NY for quite some time. Plenty of old school NY in the outer Boros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City