Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times

Advertisements

I have yet to see many tourists show courtesy towards others. If they cause congestion standing in the middle of a tight spot they look completely oblivious to those trying to squeeze around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Same problems down here in DC. Tourists walking in impassable packs or worse, standing on the left side of the Metro escalators and blocking everyone.

Sidewalks and escalators should basically be treated like a highway. Cruise on the right, pass on the left.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,495,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I have yet to see many tourists show courtesy towards others. If they cause congestion standing in the middle of a tight spot they look completely oblivious to those trying to squeeze around them.
Agreed 100%. I have actually gotten dirty looks by some as I try to walk around them...smh! excuse me for trying to get home from work

Old 08-08-2014, 11:30 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I was crossing the street and this lady standing in the corner looking up near Times Square. Since it's about 9:30am in the morning and near the entrance to the N/R train it's a high traffic area.

People are criss-crossing and bumping into her and she suddenly pulled her husband over and said look at all these rude NYers here.

I understand a lot of tourists are trying to enjoy their expensive vacation here but do look where you're standing. People have places to go and you're in the way.
It should be mandatory that tourists watch this video before visiting NYC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxYfxhMiUP0

You = Tourist = Jerk

LOLXZ

Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
The cityp should provide a " How to walk so people dont bump you or want trIp you " guide .
This could work:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/nathanwpyle/...to-be-touching

#49 in particular

Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
What is often true of tourists to *any* area is they forget that places have a native population that actually *LIVE* in these areas. Persons that get up go to work, take their children to and from school and otherwise get on with their daily lives.

If one is attempting to get to an appointment, school, work or whatever it is difficult enough navigating the streets of Manhattan without hordes of tourists stop standing in the middle of sidewalks gawking at tall buildings. Don't they have buildings where these persons come from? That and their tendency to walk several abreast in groups totally ignoring sidewalk traffic must move in two directions.

NYC especially Manhattan has always been a congested and fast paced place. We move with the dallah here baby! If you want to stand around on the sidewalk as a group of young black men trick you out of your money and or pick your pockets that is your business, just step aside to those of us with actual places can go (and who know better) can stick and move.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 08-08-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,647,268 times
Yes, but did you tell them that?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:45 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes, but did you tell them that?
Yes, will tell persons to *move* if they are blocking my way so one can get one. OTOH if they want to stand around on 34th Street and get fleeced by whatever version of "Three Card Monty" or other scam those AA boys/young men are running on the tourist yokels, that is their own affair. I don't care where you are from anyone that does not have enough common sense to smell the whiff around those sort of things deserves all that they get. More so because almost every decent tourist guide, magazine, website, book, app or whatever warns persons off such things expressly and explicitly.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Its a culture clash. These tourist don't understand that in "walking cities" like NYC, and DC one needs to exercise the same courtesies as one does when driving. Massive numbers of people are trying to get some where. In NY on the side walk, in their hometowns on the highway.

The only time many of them walk is in the malls, so and it doesn't enter into their heads that a sidewalk in NYC is like a highway back home. Its is a place that people use to get to work, school, home, business appointments, job interviews, etc.

Personally NYers are NOT rude. We navigate around these humongous groups of gawkers. I guess we know tourism is one of our largest industries, and the largest for the less educated (much of retail and entertainment is linked to it), so we have to tolerate them.

Maybe Americans think that Parisians are rude because they become snippy when a whole group arrives from Peoria and takes over half the city.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:33 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,529,233 times
Having said that the NYers with their cell phones playing games at the entrance of the subway are just as bad, or taking up half the side walk as they gossip on their phones, with their arms poled way out, and they should know better.

We now read that many of them are getting hurt because they are so absorbed in their phones that they trip on the ciurb, or down the subway stairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City