Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,158 times

Advertisements

I recently applied to co-op sponsored unit and an apartment. Since I had a guarantor, I paid 300 (150x2) for that co-op and 200 (100x2) for the apartment. Apartment management refunded both deposit and application fee because they took someone else didn't even check my credit. However, I didn't get refund from co-op. I checked all 3 CRA for recent hard inquiry, but there was none. I realize that credit check fee is just part of application fee, but after reading this The Do’s and Don’ts of Rental Application Fees article, I believe I should at least try to dispute this. What do you think? Does anyone have experience dealing with landlord on this matter?

Last edited by anemoneya; 08-07-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 18,684 times
You should definitely dispute it. But make sure to read the application first. The application usually states if it is refundable. If the application doesn’t state where it is refundable or not, call and talk to them and write a letter. be very polite. If that doesn’t work call and get stern and threaten to report them to the city department of housing preservation and development. They may not want the headache.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,158 times
I'll have to check that with my broker if he still has the copy of the application. However, even if it says non-refundable application fee, if they didn't do background check, I think it could be called fraud.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 18,684 times
Not necessarily true. The application fee isn’t just for the background check. it can be used to pay board members or added to the board budget. That is one of the problems with Co-op boards. They do some really unethical things and there is no real oversight/challengers. For examples they will say it cost them $40 to make copies of your application to give to each board member. Its all a sham!

Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anemoneya View Post
NYC real estate market is a total different beast than the rest of the country, try not to follow blogs/advice from websites that arent specifically talking about NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: