Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
Ugh, as much as it pains me, I agree wholeheartedly w/this. As a working-poor, college-educated Latino who's currently holding a temp job, I've found myself wondering how and if I can achieve some semblance of upward mobility as I make the sacrifices necessary to get ahead in my field (i.e low/no pay internships, networking) Up until recently I believed that having a college degree and paying my dues would be the equalizer I needed to move up, the equalizer that would place me on even keel w/ peers from other races. But I worry that the circumstances I was born into will continue to haunt me despite my efforts.
Keep your head up and block out the distractions. Graduating college is a big thing even today. Don't let the chains of poverty hold you back. There may not be many job opportunities where you're currently living so it may behoove you to widen your search area. You might want to consider relocating to a lower cost of living state and get your foot in the door. Are you bilingual? If so, there's a demand for truly bilingual people here in Texas.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yeah...it pisses me off that I'm not President of the US or a famous disgustingly rich talk show host. Lets try to stay relevant because at the end of the day people are not Ivy league students. Nor should they be. You and them have trouble understanding the real World through the eyes of the average. This thread is about unemployed black people from the projects and about getting them sustainable jobs...not about Obama. I'm more bitter about your thought process more than anything and that you wasted an Ivy league seat that could have gone to someone in the PJs instead.
Btw, the average Black person is not from the housing projects.

I think holding on to that stereotype makes you feel better about yourself. You aren't really doing that well, but at least you're doing better than those housing project Blacks!

Meanwhile you practically weeped when I mentioned the background of the Obamas, Clintons, Winfreys, Rice, Fiorina, etc. It's why people like you don't like to rate others individually, because as an individual there's really nothing to show for yourself, is there?

Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Btw, the average Black person is not from the housing projects.

I think holding on to that stereotype makes you feel better about yourself. You aren't really doing that well, but at least you're doing better than those housing project Blacks!

Meanwhile you practically weeped when I mentioned the background of the Obamas, Clintons, Winfreys, Rice, Fiorina, etc. It's why people like you don't like to rate others individually, because as an individual there's really nothing to show for yourself, is there?
Going back to post #1 of this thread, yes, those stats are being driven by black people living in the projects. Reason for why West Brooklyn has such high rates of unemployment, because these are not black nabes other than those living in the PJs. Also why NW Queens has lower rates...because they just don't have that many PJs up there. Get your facts straight. And don't see why anyone that is unemployed should give a rats ass about "Obamas, Clintons, Winfreys, Rice, Fiorina, etc" since they are not up for those very limited in volume roles, and just waiting their turn to shine.

BTW, I do just fine.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Going back to post #1 of this thread, yes, those stats are being driven by black people living in the projects. Reason for why West Brooklyn has such high rates of unemployment, because these are not black nabes other than those living in the PJs. Also why NW Queens has lower rates...because they just don't have that many PJs up there. Get your facts straight. And don't see why anyone that is unemployed should give a rats ass about "Obamas, Clintons, Winfreys, Rice, Fiorina, etc" since they are not up for those very limited in volume roles, and just waiting their turn to shine.

BTW, I do just fine.
Not if you're so obsessed by Blacks in the projects!

Eastern Queens has Black neighborhoods with few or no projects, but you neglect to mention them. And as I previously mentioned, not all Blacks live in Black neighborhoods.

Btw. there are other outposts of poverty, such as small town whites (who also get on welfare) and of course there's outposts of poverty among Asians and Hispanics too.

Yet to hate to mention those. All races of people have underclass populations. They always have and they will always exist. Nothing will ever eliminate this.

Actually, someone who is unemployed should care about those top people. Those top people got to where they are by avoiding jail time, avoiding kids out of wedlock that they could not support, and though some of them have partied/used drugs, they did not become addicts.

Choosing to live a crime free life and not have kids you can't support benefits EVERYONE.

Even NYC's HRA began a campaign addressing the large number of single moms in NYC. They were basically pushing birth control and pointing out how out of wedlock kids maintain poverty and may end up behind bars due to lack of parental supervision and resources.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Not if you're so obsessed by Blacks in the projects!

Eastern Queens has Black neighborhoods with few or no projects, but you neglect to mention them. And as I previously mentioned, not all Blacks live in Black neighborhoods.

Btw. there are other outposts of poverty, such as small town whites (who also get on welfare) and of course there's outposts of poverty among Asians and Hispanics too.

Yet to hate to mention those. All races of people have underclass populations. They always have and they will always exist. Nothing will ever eliminate this.

Actually, someone who is unemployed should care about those top people. Those top people got to where they are by avoiding jail time, avoiding kids out of wedlock that they could not support, and though some of them have partied/used drugs, they did not become addicts.

Choosing to live a crime free life and not have kids you can't support benefits EVERYONE.

Even NYC's HRA began a campaign addressing the large number of single moms in NYC. They were basically pushing birth control and pointing out how out of wedlock kids maintain poverty and may end up behind bars due to lack of parental supervision and resources.
Actually I typed NW Queens but meant to type NE Queens. I do not give a damn about those small white towns, else I'd be posting on their forums rather than here. And this thread is not about Asians and Hispanics, unless its about how Asians and Hispanics are disproportionately not being catered to by the local government for housing, but about unemployed blacks in NYC. Not in the suburbs, not in the south, not in the Caribbean, but here in the boros. And it is those living in the PJs that are driving these stats. Not that one black dude that happened to go to Cornell.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Actually I typed NW Queens but meant to type NE Queens. I do not give a damn about those small white towns, else I'd be posting on their forums rather than here. And this thread is not about Asians and Hispanics, unless its about how Asians and Hispanics are disproportionately not being catered to by the local government for housing, but about unemployed blacks in NYC. Not in the suburbs, not in the south, not in the Caribbean, but here in the boros. And it is those living in the PJs that are driving these stats. Not that one black dude that happened to go to Cornell.
Everyone of every race is unemployed at some point. Last I heard no one was born with a job title or a degree.

There are things one must to get jobs, regardless of race, location, income, or status. These are the same things people have to deal with in their personal lives regardless of race. Therefore the status of whites, hispanics, asians, blacks all over the south and the world, and people in general everywhere is extremely important because those Blacks in the projects will have to do the same thing everyone else does to get work or to move up socioeconomically. Therefore, what all people in general of all races do to get employment is relevant, and that includes Ivy Leaguers such as myself.

I did not do drugs, have children I couldn't support, or do time in prison.

That's all those people in the housing projects have to do to get themselves a job. Btw, many people in the projects do have jobs. Just low paying jobs.

If the want higher paying jobs, then they will need to get very good grades, get into a good school in a good program/field that they are talented in, and they will have to be better than the average person, perhaps far better to succeed.

Perhaps smoking too much pot hindered your chances of success, and now all you can do is hate on people far much successful than you.

So the bottom line is unemployed Blacks can get the same jobs anyone else can get, by using the same tactics since EVERYONE has been UNEMPLOYED at SOME POINT!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:19 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,899 times
Quote:
They are two fields that are transferable to many industries even if one has no interest in being a PE or a CPA. Much more practical in the real World than studying many other majors, such as African Studies as one example.
A lot of blacks i know major in business. They usually don't major in the humanities or African Studies.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
A lot of blacks i know major in business. They usually don't major in the humanities or African Studies.
Not at all true. At private universities there are many Blacks majoring in humanities, but you're dealing with a higher calibur of person.

Name one person who was a business major from a state school that did anything of note careerwise!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:35 PM

And actually, for better working class jobs, there are skill tests and sometimes trade school is required. Plumbers, painters, construction workers, electricians (depending on the type) often join unions. One still needs to finish high school for these jobs (and go to trade school). For certain types of jobs professional licenses may be required. So on a working class level there's actually a lot poor people can and do to get good paying jobs.

Those who want to go to the public sector route have to take civil service exams (again, one needs at least a high school education and often a bachelors degree these days). Assuming the candidate passes, there is a waiting period before they call you back (if you get called back).

For those who don't have degrees, organizations like NYC Career Workforce 1 and others have resume workshops. They place hard to place people in jobs (recovering addicts, people in and out of prison). Of course, for this population to succeed they have to not get arrested again or do a drug relapse. But these things are true of people of all races that are in hard to place categories (you've addicts and convicts of all races).

So I repeat, there is no specific advice or anything else for unemployed Blacks to take, because getting a job or career is going to be the same for everyone, regardless of race.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Everyone of every race is unemployed at some point. Last I heard no one was born with a job title or a degree.

There are things one must to get jobs, regardless of race, location, income, or status. These are the same things people have to deal with in their personal lives regardless of race. Therefore the status of whites, hispanics, asians, blacks all over the south and the world, and people in general everywhere is extremely important because those Blacks in the projects will have to do the same thing everyone else does to get work or to move up socioeconomically. Therefore, what all people in general of all races do to get employment is relevant, and that includes Ivy Leaguers such as myself.

I did not do drugs, have children I couldn't support, or do time in prison.

That's all those people in the housing projects have to do to get themselves a job. Btw, many people in the projects do have jobs. Just low paying jobs.

If the want higher paying jobs, then they will need to get very good grades, get into a good school in a good program/field that they are talented in, and they will have to be better than the average person, perhaps far better to succeed.

Perhaps smoking too much pot hindered your chances of success, and now all you can do is hate on people far much successful than you.

So the bottom line is unemployed Blacks can get the same jobs anyone else can get, by using the same tactics since EVERYONE has been UNEMPLOYED at SOME POINT!
What is it that makes you think I am unsuccessful? I'm a homeowner and I have children that I can support. Perhaps you are just bitter because I didn't have to rack up your type of student debt just to end up living in affordable housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City