Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 06:48 PM

327 posts, read 469,395 times

Advertisements

When does that November class start? We're gonna need more able bodied workers!

Old 11-25-2014, 09:29 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,392,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockSays View Post
When does that November class start? We're gonna need more able bodied workers!
You mean that class that didn't exist or ever happen but I got yelled at for saying it wouldn't lol

Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
You guys? What do you mean you guys?!? Hope your enjoying your 444 world!
I actually wrote we and then realized oh....im not in that union and garbage tech will let me have it if I don't change it lol

And no.....no enjoyment yet

Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 PM

186 posts, read 308,028 times
Hey I just want to wish all my brothers, even garage tech, a happy thanksgiving! Lets all be thankful we are on this job. I don't care what anyone says but this is the best job I ever had period. We are all lucky to have it. Peace brothers! And yes I am getting drunk at my local bar right now. Lol!

Old 11-27-2014, 01:25 PM

228 posts, read 338,460 times
Hey garbage tech happy thanksgiving make sure u leave me some pumpkin pie

Old 11-27-2014, 06:22 PM

166 posts, read 264,960 times
Okay Gobig as soon as you're done blowing the boro staff it'll be waiting.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Sorry for the rookie/dumb questions, as you can see by my name the DSNY isn't my topic of expertise lol...

(1) As a non-employee I know that collection days are Mon, Wed, Friday, so what do you guys do on Tue & Thurs or do you get the day off?

(2) Also, are you guys spending a full 8 hours with a lunch between picking u garbage? & How tough would you say is the job?

(3) I had this debate with my unc yesterday, isn't it true that all you need is a CDL permit along with your HS diploma to get hired & the DSNY will help you get the actual license?.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:17 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Sorry for the rookie/dumb questions, as you can see by my name the DSNY isn't my topic of expertise lol...

(1) As a non-employee I know that collection days are Mon, Wed, Friday, so what do you guys do on Tue & Thurs or do you get the day off?

(2) Also, are you guys spending a full 8 hours with a lunch between picking u garbage? & How tough would you say is the job?

(3) I had this debate with my unc yesterday, isn't it true that all you need is a CDL permit along with your HS diploma to get hired & the DSNY will help you get the actual license?.
1) we pick up 6 days a week, different neighborhoods get picked up different days. In my district, the eastern parts of the district are picked up mon, we'd, Friday, and the western parts tues, thurs, saturday. Besides collecting household refuse, sanitation workers do a bunch of other tasks, ranging from office work, to heavy machinery operation, to standing on a street corner with a broom and shovel cleaning litter. We drive street sweepers and operate transfer facilities. The point is we do a lot more than pick up the trash you put out in the morning. Days off are Sunday, and are a rotating day during he week.

2) this is an 8 hour job, some days better than others. We do get a 30 min lunch break, as well as a 15 min am break and 10 min pm break, total of 55 minutes of break time throughout the day. Is this job easy? Depends who you ask, my personal opinion is that it's physical difficult, heavy lifting, dealing with the elements etc, but mentally easy, very low stress. My last job was sales, physical easy (sitting at a desk) mentally difficult (went home ready to jump off a bridge everyday).

3) to be hired you need a cdl class B BEFORE they hire you, they will train you with a permit prior to hiring you at a cost, but you cannot be appointed without that license.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post

1-your statement isn't true lol. Maybe those are the days your garbage gets collected. Others get twice a week pick up but everyday some area is getting serviced.

2-it's a tough job. You'll lift a lot, walk a lot bounce around shifts but you get used to it. Yea 8 hours and you get a lunch break.

3-you need a CDL permit with air brakes and tanker endorsement and when we get close to your number you can sign up for a week long course (plus one extra day for the road test) with us to get your license. Cost is 900 for the course but you pay nothing up front and they take 25 bucks a paycheck from you until it's paid off. You're also free to get the license on your own

Old 11-28-2014, 09:42 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Thanks guys 6 days a week though? Sheesh lol, y'all work hard for your money. IMHO y'all deserve a raise, at least equal to NYPD rates (one can dream lol) because y'all play just as much of an important role as them, the city would fall apart without the DSNY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City