Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 04:03 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,392,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyy View Post
You are right I forgot they let us drive for about 2 hours on the first day. If you have an odd number you drive the next day and after pre-trip. Alternating between you and your partner. You don't drive everyday but every other day. Last day the instructor was nice and gave us more time with the trucks instead of pre-trip.

No....no noooo lol

I'm very happy you got your CDL. Unfortunately since you're not wt fbf the information you are giving is incorrect.

You will have no partner, there is no one to alternate with. You'll drive all day Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday out in the streets. You'll have a mock road test on Thursday. Friday you'll stay on the field all day. You will not experience what Shyy is describing.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanitationNotSanitarium View Post
I just got my cdl from fbf, I'm at number 605* , are my chances slim for October?
Slim but realistic

Old 09-18-2014, 04:11 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
No....no noooo lol

I'm very happy you got your CDL. Unfortunately since you're not wt fbf the information you are giving is incorrect.

You will have no partner, there is no one to alternate with. You'll drive all day Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday out in the streets. You'll have a mock road test on Thursday. Friday you'll stay on the field all day. You will not experience what Shyy is describing.

Surprised? It's coming from the guy who thinks the new test overrides the old list instantly and that people should be forced on OT and like it or be fired? LOL

Old 09-18-2014, 04:17 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,144,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanq112 View Post
Hey right now I'm slim and handsome will this job turn me into a old fat bastard?

Old? Yes in 22 1/2 years.

Fat? Become a GU.

Bastard? That's between you and your parents.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:49 PM

145 posts, read 223,118 times
So I've been "training" on how to do mail runs all over Manhattan. My question is is this a gig that everybody learns or do they usually have the same person running it all the time? Like is there a chance that this will be my job or is there a tissue for something like this

Old 09-18-2014, 04:59 PM

12 posts, read 18,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Old? Yes in 22 1/2 years.

Fat? Become a GU.

Bastard? That's between you and your parents.
Fat bastard with a good pension is ok with me

Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egonz View Post
So I've been "training" on how to do mail runs all over Manhattan. My question is is this a gig that everybody learns or do they usually have the same person running it all the time? Like is there a chance that this will be my job or is there a tissue for something like this
I believe that task is either an mda spot for guys who can still drive, on light duty, or given to a fill in GU spot for the day, just a regular spot on the board and if your seniority falls there , it's your function for the day, and I believe it also rotates garages so Monday m6 might do it Tuesday m7 Wednesday m4 etc etc. Again I THINK this is how it works.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Surprised? It's coming from the guy who thinks the new test overrides the old list instantly and that people should be forced on OT and like it or be fired? LOL
He is correct that that's how we did HIS class. It's just not how we do all classes. Every year starts with cdl classes with like 40 students and we don't have enough instructors or equipment for each student to get their own instructor. By the end of each year the cdl classes dwindle. I think we have 8-11 students currently and the next two weeks. There is next week, week after and then cdl is done this year

Old 09-19-2014, 04:06 AM

60 posts, read 86,134 times
Anyone got their call these past few days?

Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 AM

182 posts, read 290,198 times
AWOL thanks for the clarification, didn't know you are an instructor.

SanMan2K5 what is up with your animosity? You don't need to have to ojt to know if a person doesn't do what they are told especially by the Chief unless he/she had a valid reason. I don't need to know more than that, and this is applied to any job. My comment was a 'what if' scenario, didn't direct it towards anyone. I can understand you are on the job and you have friends that maybe have been fired. My statement was in no way directed towards anyone and was a generic statement. I was a bit immature and at the time felt very desperate to see other people already ojt and taking it for granted.

The other came from my own brother who is FDNY for about 10 years now, either his information was incorrect or he was just breaking my balls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City