Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:23 PM

14 posts, read 13,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Yes, I would avoid Irvington and East Orange, not good at all. I would agree with looking in the Ironbound section of Newark, close to transportation that will get you to NYC pretty easily, with the bonus that it will give you a taste of home, at home. It should not be hard to find a place there within your budget. I am assuming you are not taxed (at least not heavily) on the $2500 a month. In NYC, I think you can find a share in a borough other than Manhattan (even Washington Heights/Inwood in Manhattan may be affordable) within your budget.
Yes, I won't be taxed on the $2,500. If I could find something closer to the University would be better, of course. I'll looked up these boroughs too. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
My younger daughter lives in NYC, and I've discovered that when it comes to rentals, there's New York City and then there's the rest of the world. If you're renting you'll generally either have to have proof of income (I think the standard is 40 times monthly rent) or a Guarantor (meaning: someone with resources who will guarantee payment of the rent). Parents and relatives are the "usual suspects" for playing the role of Guarantor, but if they don't have the resources or are unwilling, there are companies that perform this function for a reasonable fee (Insurent, et al. - Google "guarantor insurance").

Someone mentioned Ironbound, in Newark. That's an interesting area, and probably more feasible to live solo there than in NYC. Just consider, though, travel time to Columbia. It's easy to get into Manhattan from Newark, but then you have to travel fairly far uptown. Your door-to-door commute could be lengthy, and you'd have to factor in the cost of a monthly NYC transit pass (about $125, I think).

Also: your first post mentioned your preference to live alone. I wouldn't try to talk you out of that, but the economics of your situation favor sharing an apartment. You can probably live closer to school, have a shorter commute, and thus have more free time for ... whatever. Plus if you share, you have some built-in social life other than people at school. I could see how it could be lonely living in a foreign country by yourself, especially if it's in a city as big as New York.
Yeah, I am starting to understand that I won't run from a rommate. The problem is that here in Brazil is not common people live with strangers. But I think I just have to get used to the idea. And about the distance: Google maps says I would take about an hour to get to CU from Ironboud. Is it true? Or google is underestimating it?

Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Look into West New York, NJ. Studios are available in your price range. Safe. Convenient to NYC.
I looked up. West New York is expensive too. Unless I look for a share. But thanks for the advice. I will look it up again. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
First, take the advice of your first answer, and check with Columbia for any help or suggestions.

Second, I understand that you would prefer to live alone, maybe because you're quiet, maybe because you're shy, or maybe because you feel that you're too old for roommates. But I think you should reconsider, and at least start with a roommate, even if you later decide to move out on your own. Naturally, it would enable you to get a better, safer apartment. But also it will help you to have someone there when you're trying to get settled in NYC. It will also just be easier to get a place, I think; NYC is an expensive, complicated city, and many landlords will not want a foreign tenant with very little money. So I think that you should perhaps try to start off by rooming with a Columbia graduate student, or something like that.

Good luck.
Yes, I think I will really need to look for a rommate. And probably with a rommate I won't have problems to rent the place, since I could deal with the rommate and not with the landlords, right? I would be better if I find a furnitured place. And theses studios I've ssen are not. Thanks for the hints!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Look on Convent, right above City College. Directly below is much more expensive and not so great either in places. Things do come up. Start looking now because students will also be looking.

I would avoid Broadway and most of Amsterdam, but that's just me. I don't like the seediness.
Side streets are block-by-block.

15-20 minutes, walking, to Columbia.

For example - says Inwood but it isn't.
CONDO STYLE STUDIO NEAR CITY COLLEGE AND EXPRESS TRAIN ** LOW 140'S
Thanks! I think a $1095 rent studio would be expensive for me, even if I save money by walking, because of the utilities. But maybe if I look for a share the prices will be nice. Thanks for the hint!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaaa View Post
Yeah, I am starting to understand that I won't run from a rommate. The problem is that here in Brazil is not common people live with strangers. But I think I just have to get used to the idea. And about the distance: Google maps says I would take about an hour to get to CU from Ironboud. Is it true? Or google is underestimating it?
Thats pretty accurate give or take how the trains are running. It will definitely be a bit of a commute from there.

Quote:
Yes, I think I will really need to look for a rommate. And probably with a rommate I won't have problems to rent the place, since I could deal with the rommate and not with the landlords, right? I would be better if I find a furnitured place. And theses studios I've ssen are not. Thanks for the hints!

Yea see in the NY Metro is pretty normal to have roommates since its so expensive. Its actually part of the fun of it. I have had great experiences with roommates. Also the benefit is if you find the right share you may not have to bring furniture or maybe just have to bring a bed or mattress.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Thanks! I think a $1095 rent studio would be expensive for me, even if I save money by walking, because of the utilities. But maybe if I look for a share the prices will be nice. Thanks for the hint!
I would look for a share just above Columbia, which will be in your price range.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:03 PM

Here is a query of shares under $900 per month somewhat near columbia.

new york rooms & shares "columbia" - craigslist

you can change the max to meet the max rent you are looking for. And change the boro as well.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Here is a query of shares under $900 per month somewhat near columbia.

new york rooms & shares "columbia" - craigslist

you can change the max to meet the max rent you are looking for. And change the boro as well.
Problem is, anything below Columbia will be tiny and far more expensive.

You should find out if you have access to the Columbia off-campus housing office. There is an online service and you can search for price, how many roommates, and so on. People who post there want Columbia students. I remember a few of my classmates, especially in graduate school, renting rooms in family homes.

I am assuming that you do not qualify for Columbia housing ...? Although, it is far from inexpensive.
I never used is myself but had many friends who did.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Problem is, anything below Columbia will be tiny and far more expensive.

You should find out if you have access to the Columbia off-campus housing office. There is an online service and you can search for price, how many roommates, and so on. People who post there want Columbia students. I remember a few of my classmates, especially in graduate school, renting rooms in family homes.

I am assuming that you do not qualify for Columbia housing ...? Although, it is far from inexpensive.
I never used is myself but had many friends who did.
Agreed. i see a few in Harlem though that would work. I agree, I wouldn't look lower though.

OP may also check facebook and meetup for some groups of columbia students where they could get pointed in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City