Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathomist321 View Post
I don't need to sit in a courtroom to know that a black person who is on video stealing over 1500 dollars of clothing from a luxury dept. store, won't be offered a deal to accept a disorderly conduct misdemeanor.

The charge would be grand larceny and even for a first time offense, jail time would be issued.

Why deny this reality? If more whites admitted the truth, perhaps race relations would improve.

What reality? I agree with most of the posters here: I think money and social status are the issue here, not race.
And I am asian FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 AM

70 posts, read 71,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
What reality? I agree with most of the posters here: I think money and social status are the issue here, not race.
And I am asian FYI.
You mentioned "money AND social status." Is race suddenly now-not part of social status? What do you think socio-economic status means?

I'll help you out:

Socioeconomic status (SES) is an economic and sociological combined total measure of a person's work experience and of an individual's or family’s economic and social position in relation to others.

Do you honestly believe that race doesn't play a role in social position? A rich black person is not treated the same as a rich white person or a rich Asian, for that matter.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
W Privledge definitely helped out OJ
OJ is serving a long prison sentence. He was charged with stealing his own memorabilia from a collector, but in actuality, he was given the long sentence because of the nicole brown murder. Let's not act as though that didn't play any role in his sentencing.

Also, OJ had the unique advantage of having a mostly black jury, which rarely happens. The jury didn't feel that nicole was a precious white princess given her long wrap sheet and drug abuse. They were more likely to identify and agree with the well known, clean cut respected athlete.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
You know... whether you are right or wrong (you are wrong) is really irrelevant. Life is not fair - bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people - and the whining mentality that you are showing here just makes you weak. Go be strong, stop whining about something completely unrelated to you on the web, and maybe you'll be successful in life as well...

Also, other than whining on CD what are YOU doing to combat this "racial injustice"? Just curious
I have noticed when I'm on various forums, some people always deflect when they become uncomfortable discussing the realities of white privilege. Instead of asking me to stop whining, you should be admitting the truth and working to dismantle racial injustice.

Blacks face injustice stemming from institutionalized racism on a regular basis. It is upsetting that people believe Eric Garner deserved to die because "he broke the law," but have no problem with a white thief being convicted of disorderly conduct, instead of Grand Larceny. Even more troubling, most of you believe her mandatory 5 day volunteer service at a soup kitchen is perfectly ok.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Wait, the white people on this thread denying the existence of white privilege? Something that's pretty well written about and documented by social scientists. Wow. You can argue the details and outcome of this case, but you must be totally ignorant and blind to the racial hierarchy that's been in this country for centuries to deny the fact that white privilege still exists and plays out all the time in every day scenarios.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM

250 posts, read 269,430 times
Just admit it, it's hard for some of you to acknowledge there is racial profiling that goes on in these high end retail stores.

With that said, maybe the law in NY is written in a way that people who commit these type of felonies for the first time don't have to go to jail but I think it's kinda funny how she could have gotten away with it if security at Saks hadn't spotted her at the time considering security at many of these high end stores don't aggressively follow white shoppers like they do black and brown shoppers and accuse non whites shoppers of shoplifting when they have proof of purchase.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 AM

250 posts, read 269,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Wait, the white people on this thread denying the existence of white privilege? Something that's pretty well written about and documented by social scientists. Wow. You can argue the details and outcome of this case, but you must be totally ignorant and blind to the racial hierarchy that's been in this country for centuries to deny the fact that white privilege still exists and plays out all the time in every day scenarios.

Social scientist? Who needs a social scientist, just look at how men and women in India, Asia and Africa are trying to whiten their skin to look fair because of the societal benefits that come with looking fair or damn near white. You have to be a cave man to think there is no such thing as white privilege.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
Just admit it, it's hard for some of you to acknowledge there is racial profiling that goes on in these high end retail stores.

With that said, maybe the law in NY is written in a way that people who commit these type of felonies for the first time don't have to go to jail but I think it's kinda funny how she could have gotten away with it if security at Saks hadn't spotted her at the time considering security at many of these high end stores don't aggressively follow white shoppers like they do black and brown shoppers and accuse non whites shoppers of shoplifting when they have proof of purchase.
Security didn't "spot" her stealing, meaning no one was following her around. Saks has cameras throughout the store, so the person in charge of watching the multiple video screens saw her casually putting jeans, shirts etc in her handbag. No one approached her though until she attempted to exit the store, meaning she was given the benefit of the doubt until the end.

When they approached her, they let her know that the video showed she had merchandise in her purse that she didn't pay for. Do you really believe Saks security would have waited for the black person to attempt to leave the store, or would they have rushed out and tackled the person to the ground, while awaiting NYPD's arrival?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM

384 posts, read 512,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathomist321 View Post
Security didn't "spot" her stealing, meaning no one was following her around. Saks has cameras throughout the store, so the person in charge of watching the multiple video screens saw her casually putting jeans, shirts etc in her handbag. No one approached her though until she attempted to exit the store, meaning she was given the benefit of the doubt until the end.

When they approached her, they let her know that the video showed she had merchandise in her purse that she didn't pay for. Do you really believe Saks security would have waited for the black person to attempt to leave the store, or would they have rushed out and tackled the person to the ground, while awaiting NYPD's arrival?
That is actually how it works. They wait for the person to leave the store. Otherwise it isn't theft.

I imagine they'd have a hell of a time charging someone with "putting merchandise in a bag and walking around a store."

Old 08-13-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshoe View Post
That is actually how it works. They wait for the person to leave the store. Otherwise it isn't theft.

I imagine they'd have a hell of a time charging someone with "putting merchandise in a bag and walking around a store."
Oh really, they wait for the person to leave the store? They didn't wait at Barneys and the black people in question legitimately purchased the items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City