Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,013,773 times

Advertisements

Guess it's all a matter of personal opinion and experience.

I've never been robbed in Jackson Heights or actually anywhere in NYC in the 6 years I've been here, and frankly I find Forest Hills to be very dull in comparison to JH! Sure, it's more upscale and has all those mall-type of stores (Barnes and Noble, Ann Taylor, Bath and Body Works, etc.) JH doesn't have those mall stores but it's got much more soul.

Just my humble opinion, of course. And in fact I still hold my original opinion that based on the wishes of the OP to be in a young area where there are places to go out for drinks and is an easy commte to the E train, Astoria near the R/V trains is still the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 11:55 PM

Also I want to add that I agree with dullnboring's assessment of LIC. I would not live there *unless* I could live in one of those super high end luxury condos with a beautiful water view. Then it would be worthwhile. But if I had to live in some crappy $1500 apartment, there's not enough of a neighborhood there to make me happy.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:19 PM

6 posts, read 18,256 times
Wow,
I forgot to check to see if there were any responses. Thanks for all the advice here everyone!

Quote:
Just my humble opinion, of course. And in fact I still hold my original opinion that based on the wishes of the OP to be in a young area where there are places to go out for drinks and is an easy commte to the E train, Astoria near the R/V trains is still the way to go.
Astoria is sounding more and more like the best place for me, but I am concerned about my girl being able to handle the commute. We have chosen Queens to avoid the ridiculous $178 monthly fare for the LIRR to get out to Valley Stream. She was hoping to take the bus from Jamaica to Valley Stream.

Is this a ridiculous idea? And during rush hour, are the trains running often enough that a transfer from the R/V line to the E/F line wouldn't be a big deal?

Thanks Again Everyone!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,113,886 times
I just want to mention that I have nothing against Jackson Heights or Astoria. I think they are fine places to live.

Just that in terms of what the OP needs - easy access to LIRR and Long Island - the most convenient location is any town has the E/F express train OR the LIRR.

If you live in Astoria and work in Valley Stream you will be transferring 2x to get to your destination.

Astoria N/R --> to E/F Queens Plaza --> LIRR Jamaica --> LIRR Valley Stream Station.

Having lived in Queens before I know firsthand how trying it can be to transfer at Queens Plaza or Roosevelt Station. I recall when I was living there 3 years ago, they had guys wearing white gloves shoving people like sardines into the subway cars. :P Not sure if it's still the case now. It wasn't fun!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:00 PM

Jackson Heights has an E/F express stop. Forest Hills has that and also the LIRR. Clearly if you are trying to ride the LIRR then Forest Hills is better in that regard.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but are there really that many people pushing to get into an E/F train going outbound further in Queens in the rush hour in the morning? I would expect that the crowding is for Manhattan bound trains. But I don't commute at that hour so wouldn't know.

Also, if trains are crowded, then they are crowded. Are you saying that getting off one train and crossing the platform to get on a different one is that much worse than just entering the (second) station and getting on to the same crowded train other people are trying to tranfer into?

Old 01-02-2008, 02:17 PM

68 posts, read 448,808 times
Woodside is another option. The LIRR goes to Jamaica from there and the 7 express train is right above the LIRR. It's 2 stops on the express to 45th Courthouse which has a E connection or 2 local stops to 74th Broadway E stop.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:36 PM

25 posts, read 172,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe90 View Post
Wow,
I forgot to check to see if there were any responses. Thanks for all the advice here everyone!

Astoria is sounding more and more like the best place for me, but I am concerned about my girl being able to handle the commute. We have chosen Queens to avoid the ridiculous $178 monthly fare for the LIRR to get out to Valley Stream. She was hoping to take the bus from Jamaica to Valley Stream.

Is this a ridiculous idea? And during rush hour, are the trains running often enough that a transfer from the R/V line to the E/F line wouldn't be a big deal?

Thanks Again Everyone!
That LIRR is expensive for a reason. IT'S FAST!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 AM

I guess I didn't read the part about avoiding the LIRR because of the expense.

Here's the thing, though - she will need a montly subway pass (about to go up to about $80) in order to get to Jamaica to take the bus. (then, how much is the bus? )

So if you weigh your options, maybe you should live walking distance to the LIRR (like in Woodside or Forest Hills) and she can forgo the $80 for the unlimited subway pass and whatever the bus fare is, and just pay for the LIRR and only incur the $178.

Of course this means that on weekends when you want to do stuff around the city that she will not have an unlimited subway pass and will have to pay per ride.

I am not sure how horrible the subway to Jamaica, bus to Valley Stream option is, but you also need to figure that if it is stressful and longer that that will take a toll on her - both mentally and probably financially somehow (my economist friends could tell you how.)

Old 01-03-2008, 12:53 AM

112 posts, read 648,031 times
both forest hills and kew gardens have E&F train service as well as LIRR stops. you can also probably take the F to either 169th or 179th street (the last stop) and then take one of the N-numbered buses to valley stream. i'm pretty sure it would go there, as i recall the N22 and N24 going to roosevelt field mall and there were plenty of people from valley stream using the buses. just another option..though the LIRR would be a lot faster.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 AM

6 posts, read 18,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I guess I didn't read the part about avoiding the LIRR because of the expense.

Here's the thing, though - she will need a montly subway pass (about to go up to about $80) in order to get to Jamaica to take the bus. (then, how much is the bus? )
I am pretty sure that the bus fare is included in the monthly subway pass. That's the big draw to avoiding the LIRR, because it brings down monthly transportation costs from $260 ($180+80) to the flat $80 subway pass. Over a year, that is a lot of money.

I am going to visit the city this weekend, so I will try timing myself on a trip out to Valley Stream and back using various trains.

As always, thanks. You all have been very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City