Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:19 PM

6 posts, read 18,425 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am planning to move to New York in a few months and my girlfriend is going to be working in Long Island. She suggested Queens as a logical place for us to move to, and I could use a bit of advice.

Unfortunately, when I think of Queens, I think of my grandmother's house. That is where she lives. I am wondering if there are any younger, more lively areas along the E train that someone could recommend.

We are a young couple, and we like to go out for drinks from time to time We also value proximity to supermarkets and restaurants, but I feel like in NYC that is rarely an issue no matter where you are.

Price is also an issue. We would be looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment between $1,200-$1,700/month.

So Cheap, on the E Line, and relatively young. Anyone have any advice they could lend?

Much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 04:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
There are three neighborhoods I can think of that might suit you.

1. Jackson Heights - the 3 stop on the E into Queens
2. Forest Hills - 4th stop on the E
3. Astoria near an R or V train (36th St and Steinway street are both serviced by these trains). You could take the E to Queens Plaza and transfer across the platform to the R or V train. I don't know Astoria well so I'm not sure what these exact areas are like but I can't imagine they're not totally fine and nearby many places to go out. I'm also not sure of the apartment prices in Astoria near these subway stops.

Astoria is the best for young people, but Jackson Heights and Forest Hills aren't bad.

You might want to check the neighborhood forums
astorians.com
jacksonheightslife.com
queenscentral.com

I think Long Island City - which is the first stop on the E in Queens - will be too pricey for you.

edited to add: a friend lives near the R/V train in Elmhurst (further into Queens than Jackson Heights). She takes the E from Manhattan and transfers to the local R/V train across the platform at 74th St./Roosevelt and it rarely takes her more than 30 minutes door to door from her job somewhere on the east side. Her job must be near the subway and I know that her apt. is a 2-minute walk in the subway. Just an example to show you that a transfer to another train (as long as it is on the same platform) is rarely a big deal except maybe late late nights.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:20 PM

Thanks Henna!

That is very helpful.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:33 PM

248 posts, read 873,042 times
Depending where in the city you have to be, Forest Hills is no more than 45 mins. in...there are places to go out on Austin St., as well as good shopping...I think you can definitely find something in your budget as well...good luck and welcome to Queens!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:03 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
I haven't actually ever been there myself, but a friend of mine who is currently looking for a place who has pretty much the exact same criterion as you, has decided to focus her search on Kew Gardens which she feels has all that she wants in a community.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:20 AM

A friend of mine suggested that I look at places in Long Island City. It seems to be pretty much the same location as Astoria.

Is it reasonable to think that I will be able to find a place in Long Island City for $1,600 or under?

Old 12-29-2007, 06:58 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe90 View Post
A friend of mine suggested that I look at places in Long Island City. It seems to be pretty much the same location as Astoria.

Is it reasonable to think that I will be able to find a place in Long Island City for $1,600 or under?
You can find one bedrooms and studios for under $1600 in Long Island City fairly easily. Two bedrooms would be more difficult.

LIC and Astoria are in similar-ish locations, but the character of both communities is very different. LIC is up and coming and popular due to its close proximity to Manhattan and the skyline views some of the newer condos and apartments provide, but as a whole, is lacking a lot of retail and ground activity and opportunities for socializing. They're making inroads, but it still feels very sparse, desolate and industrial in places. I don't find it to be a very comfy neighborhood. You may not be that close to a wide variety of stores and restaurants and may find yourself just taking the jaunt into Manhattan for simple things, just because it may be easier to do so. Astoria on the other hand is more neighborhood-y and residential, with high-density residential and commercial stretches. It's much more lively and there's more around within the neighborhood to do.

Last edited by dullnboring; 12-29-2007 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-29-2007, 08:02 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,046 times
If she works in LI, I would go for the Jamaica area.

Maybe Northern Queens Village or Floral Park.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,991 times
I have lived in Queens and grew up in the city so am familiar with the areas....

I suggest the following:

1. Forest Hills - safe, lovely and walkable downtown area. It's the more posh area of Queens and have alot of apartments near the E/F line that you need. You can find a nice 1BR in our budget too. It also has the LIRR train if you gal needs to commute into LI.

2. Astoria - ok too if you're young and want some diversity. It has a walkable downtown area with nice restaurants esp. Greek. It also boast the only beer garden in the city.

BUT it is not really near the E/F line that you need. You have to take the N/W trains and it's not as a close commute to LI.

3. Kew Gardens - on the E/F line and more affordable than Forest Hills but can't compare to it.

4. Long Island City - I won't even think about living here since the downtown still needs work. It really just boast views of the city skyline.

5. Jackson Heights - diverse neighborhood on the E/F line.
Can't compare to FH. My sister lived here a few years and got robbed twice before she moved to FH. If you are willing to spend up to $1700 why settle?

Your best bet is FH. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:28 PM

68 posts, read 449,635 times
Take a look at my posts on different Queens neighborhoods.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nd-city-4.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City