Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:21 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,807 times

Advertisements

NYC gives the green light to the building of apartments with a 'poor door' | Mail Online

Thoughts?

I think it's disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 03:04 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Even in buildings without "poor doors" the affordable tenants are quickly identified by other tenants and building staff. They are often ostracized in various ways and ignored or de-prioritized when they need maintenance/repairs. That's not the case everywhere, but I feel that when there is a poor door it encourages this mindset.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
If one set of residents is paying far in excess of what another set of residents is paying, why shouldn't they have their own 'Bore Door' to walk through?

Seriously -- if someone is paying a fraction of what another resident is paying to live in a new building in a nice neighborhood, who cares what door you're using? If I'm living in the same new building as Richie Rich and Scrooge McDuck and they're paying oodles of cash more than I am, I'll use the poor door. My address won't be any different and I don't need a fancy or opulent foyer.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM

571 posts, read 790,963 times
Try working as a doorman or porter in an 80/20 building for a couple days, especially around Christmas when they get their envelopes. You'll see the kind of riff-raff that make up the 20 percent. They should be THRILLED to be living the high life on the taxpayers dime even if they have to use a different door.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:21 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Isn't the whole purpose of the 80/20 think to insure income diversity? Segregating people by income undermines the main idea.

In the comment section of the article someone said - at least it makes it easier to know who to rob.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Isn't the whole purpose of the 80/20 think to insure income diversity? Segregating people by income undermines the main idea.

In the comment section of the article someone said - at least it makes it easier to know who to rob.
The whole idea of 80/20 is to get politicians re-elected and developers to bilk the tax-payer out of their hard earned money.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I don't have any objection, assuming we're not talking about people living in market rate apartments that happen to be "cheap" compared to the nicer ones. That would be foul ball IMO. If we're talking about people renting taxpayer subsidized apartments who probably didn't do anything too heroic to deserve special treatment, shove it. Beggars can't be choosers. I grow tired of the what I call the "governmentally privileged" class around here.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:35 PM

131 posts, read 99,004 times
They must be relived that they won't have to see all of those poor people entering through the front door anymore.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernikova View Post
They must be relived that they won't have to see all of those poor people entering through the front door anymore.
It's not that they're "poor", it's that they're not paying into common services and amenities like everyone who pays market rent is. Seriously, ask a doorman (who could also be considered "poor" by NYC standards) how he feels about his "low income" residents.

It's bad enough I have to pay taxes so someone can rent a $4200 apartment for $600, but I have to pay for their lap-pool and sauna too?

Last edited by punkfan39126; 07-21-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
How dare those low income low lives feel they can grace the FRONT DOOR like they are actually part of the human race!

Disgusting! Absolutely appalling, I tell you! To actually believe you can breathe the same air in the elevator or brush the shoulders of rich or high income tenants is a freaking abomination.

If it was up to me, they wouldn't even have a "door" to go through. I'd build give them the equivalent of a human doggy door and if they don't like it, then they can leave! It's not like they're actually wanted anyway. The developers are mandated to put them in the building.

They can either deal with it or move to the *gasp* outer-boroughs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City