Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 44,261 times

Advertisements

Guys I really need to hear you opinion
How safe is Parkchester Bronx would be for me and my mum? . I'm white 25 years old girl .My mum is white too. We're looking for affordable place to buy a condo and found this area
Thank you in advance ! I know it's a rare to see white people there but my main concern is a safety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 12:06 PM

102 posts, read 189,382 times
Its a mostly south asian nabe (Indians, Bangladesh) its probably one of the safest neighborhoods in the Bronx.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Thank you Farruko ! Would you say as safe as Harlem or more safe?

Old 08-22-2014, 05:55 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,533,991 times
you can't really compare the 2. Harlem has more Ivy league students living there (Columbia), housing costs are likely more than Pk area, which doesn't have as many students as Harlem, which is much larger than PK. Pk is a complex, the area surrounding Pk is the 43rd precinct which covers Soundview, Castle Hill, Unionport etc

Id imagine that the eastern part of Parkchester(Castle Hill) is safer than the western part(White Plains Rd) which is very run down

if you really want crime stats go to the NYPD website and compare sector crimes in the 43rd pct with sector crimes within the various Harlem precincts

Old 08-22-2014, 06:19 PM

Thanks rlrl! Some people say south condominium is better also. guess i will be the only white person there

Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,533,991 times
I don't know about that. you may be in the minority but there will be other whites as well

Old 08-22-2014, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the help !

Old 08-23-2014, 04:20 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,606,517 times
I know someone who's interested in buying a Parkchester condo to rent out. Does anyone know the rules about this? Does a buyer have to live there a certain amount of time before renting an apartment out? Thanks un advance!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 PM

857 posts, read 1,193,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farruko View Post
Its a mostly south asian nabe (Indians, Bangladesh) its probably one of the safest neighborhoods in the Bronx.
that is absolutely.....FALSE!

A lot of south asians as well as guyanese indians have moved in within the last 5-10 years but its mostly working class black and latino folks in the area. Theres criminal elements scattered through the area and @ one point it almost became just as bad as the other south bronx neighborhoods (although its more assoc with the east bronx.....personally i think its borderline), but its a far cry from anything youll find in soundview.

In short........its not riverdale by anymeans but its not mott haven either. Posess and utilize common sense and youll be fine.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,153,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
that is absolutely.....FALSE!

A lot of south asians as well as guyanese indians have moved in within the last 5-10 years but its mostly working class black and latino folks in the area. Theres criminal elements scattered through the area and @ one point it almost became just as bad as the other south bronx neighborhoods (although its more assoc with the east bronx.....personally i think its borderline), but its a far cry from anything youll find in soundview.

In short........its not riverdale by anymeans but its not mott haven either. Posess and utilize common sense and youll be fine.
I've heard that too, but it hasn't been that bad as long as I have been familiar with the area, and this going back to the late 90's. I suspect the claims of it being that bad were somewhat exaggerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City