Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 AM

5 posts, read 9,912 times

Advertisements

I live in Staten Island, I live with my husband & son in a small 1 bedroom but have managed to actually make the best of our limited space. We moved in in October of 2013 & immediately we started to find things wrong. I took charge & told my landlord about the issues. Somethings were nonworking refrigerator, nonworking oven,everything was dirty and tons of mouse crap. She actually was very nice and also knew from the start that we really needed this apartment and were willing to give her some time to fix the main issues. As for cleaning, I just did it. As the months went on she turned from a nice LL to a noisy annoying and dirty person. Also she began to accuse us of being drug addicts and kept threatening to call child services and also to much us out. Well just when things would get bad she would back down so we basically played this game until february and finally worth violations getting out of hand, her turning the water off when my sister slept over one night, mice every where (we have videos), stove still not working...it never did, her accusing us of selling drugs now and all of a sudden child services was knocking on or dot, well we stopped paying rent. She took us to court but thru mediation we worked it out and shee signed a notarized document that she would lower the rent from $1200 to $1050 so we could get a housing program, rent assistance, called FEPS. We ended up not being eligible at the time so we paid the back rent. Everything was fine until two weeks later I called and reported all the violations. She was given more than enough time to fix things and we gave it to her but when we had money troubles she didn't even wait one day she went straight to court. So now here we are in august & everything has gotten totally crazy. She still hasnt fixed everything, and if she did but it was an issue that kept coming back, she accused us of breaking things on purpose, she also accused us of paying the housing inspector off,also when in my apartment she starts telling at me and telling me I have to move and that im a drug dealer and work with the mafia. She also grabbed me by my arm and called me a list when I showed her the burn marks I got when there was a gas leak in the stove she said she fixed and the fire burst caused a pot of boiling water to fly off the stove and burn me. I immediately asked her to leave my apartment and she refused she said this was her house I only rent a small apartment on the 2nd flour of her house. I called the police and reported it. Then I got smart and sick and tired of it. I pressed record on my cell phone every time her and I had amy interaction. She said "keep your money, I just want you to move". Now of course after a week she is now trying to have us evicted. Im so stressed over this its actually causing me to have nightmares and be sick. I need some advice. Our lease ends october 14,2014. We just want to move but will the judge order us to pay august rent? Well he even listen to the recordings of her making that's and trekking us to keep the money? Help please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 AM

Oh I forgot somethings, she has her daughter sending me text messages regarding us calling the chops and about us reporting the violations. Its harrassing us basically, her daughter sent messages saying pay our get out which was fine I guess but not when her mom told us to not party and get out. Also I'm not being intended by her any more. Ive started to do some research and I think if a judge actually knew what was happening since the beginning the judge would alert give us maybe 30 days to move. Also I just found out that I could've taken her to court but I was so scared we would end up going back to a shelter. Another thing is she didn't give us heat so we ordered a heater for our apartment, which the lease doesn't say we can't, so when it was delivered she opened it and saw what it was and decided to send it back. After calling my mom to ask why it was taking so long, my mom told me, well you guys didn't want the package so you declined the delivery,she just keeps doing illegal stuff and we can't take it anymore.we just need to save anothers months social security checks and we will have the money to move. Oh one last thing,me my husband and my son all receive disability checks for disabilitis we have all she does is ask me about how I can afford to live here,pay our biills,and she watches on the cameras that she had all over the house and property when we go shopping for food and she comes running out to ask me how I could afford to buy all my food. Its enough.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:35 PM

300 posts, read 374,944 times
If your lease ends in October, pay what you owe and move. Problem solved. You can't withhold rent just because repairs aren't made. You have to put that money into an escrow account and notify the landlord in writing (preferably via a certified letter), this way you can document it should you have to go to court. I see no point in being miserable and having the back and forth battles when you can just move once your lease expires. One other point I should make is that if you become a tenant that refuses to pay your rent for whatever reason, you can blacklisted, which can make it difficult for you to rent from other landlords in the future, which I'm sure you don't want.

Last edited by hhp3333; 08-24-2014 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Additional changes

Old 08-25-2014, 03:43 AM

19 posts, read 31,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
One other point I should make is that if you become a tenant that refuses to pay your rent for whatever reason, you can blacklisted, which can make it difficult for you to rent from other landlords in the future, which I'm sure you don't want.
She has probably been blacklisted as there were a few court battles between her and the the landlord. I think she should fight for whatever she can. To be blacklisted is not the end of the world, there are always landords who do not care about credit history or the black list as long as you can give (say 3months-6months of rent) enough money as security.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:46 AM

19 posts, read 31,365 times
One more thing, she probably needs to talk to a tenant lawyer. One place to look for is met coucil, who may be able to give you free advice.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Let me say we went to court only once and it was because we had to so that we could be eligible for a housing program, but once we realized we were not eligible (well at least we thought we wouldn't be eligible) we paid the months rent. Now she didn't go to court last week. We are only a few days late with the rent but why should we pay if she's going to harass us and threaten to call child services. Also she said on tape do not pay me. Save your money and get out so we said ok. I'm only complaining about the repairs because I wonder if that will help us out when we can prove that she started retaliating when we called housing violations department. Today her daughter arched my husband at the bus stop a couple of blocks away.screaming he's a drug dealer a lowlife a wide beater and my by henbane recorded the while thing. When the police speed here we played the tape for then and they went straight to the daughter and told her one she was not the landlord and two to stop bothering us. Of course she said she didn't do or say anything but he had already heard her on tape. He told us to stay away from rather which we never speak to then they are the one who constantly are banging on or door and threatening us. But jetted the kicker the landlord told the chips she is selling the house and got an offer...so tours why she wants us to break the less and leave. We want to leave.just need about 30 to 45 days maybe less, to find a place. Trust me we don't want to be here. But like I said we just need a month. Gnats shares going on though she wants us to leave so she can accept the offer she got on the house. Isn't that illegal?

Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 PM

300 posts, read 374,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica196 View Post
Let me say we went to court only once and it was because we had to so that we could be eligible for a housing program, but once we realized we were not eligible (well at least we thought we wouldn't be eligible) we paid the months rent. Now she didn't go to court last week. We are only a few days late with the rent but why should we pay if she's going to harass us and threaten to call child services. Also she said on tape do not pay me. Save your money and get out so we said ok. I'm only complaining about the repairs because I wonder if that will help us out when we can prove that she started retaliating when we called housing violations department. Today her daughter arched my husband at the bus stop a couple of blocks away.screaming he's a drug dealer a lowlife a wide beater and my by henbane recorded the while thing. When the police speed here we played the tape for then and they went straight to the daughter and told her one she was not the landlord and two to stop bothering us. Of course she said she didn't do or say anything but he had already heard her on tape. He told us to stay away from rather which we never speak to then they are the one who constantly are banging on or door and threatening us. But jetted the kicker the landlord told the chips she is selling the house and got an offer...so tours why she wants us to break the less and leave. We want to leave.just need about 30 to 45 days maybe less, to find a place. Trust me we don't want to be here. But like I said we just need a month. Gnats shares going on though she wants us to leave so she can accept the offer she got on the house. Isn't that illegal?
What is happening in a month? I hate to sound crass, but if you only need a month, you don't need to worry about what they're doing because that means that you'll be out before you know it. If you're concerned about being evicted, she can only evict you through the courts, which would certainly take a month if not more, and by then you would be out. If she tries to lock you out and change the locks without going through the courts and having a judge side with her and having a court marshall come to evict you, then you really don't have much to worry about.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:12 PM

Thanks everyone. And guess what I just found out? After doing tons of research I found out she's been married six times. So now I had all her different last names. Guess what I also found? About two dozen lawsuits for harassm ent and also about ten different newspaper articles about her. Also six lawsuits she lost trying to sure for several different issues. I just hope we get out of here before anything else happens. Thanks for 2e advice. Im thinking of calling the newspapers to give them some new info... Just kidding, I just want to get out and forget I ever met her....but boy have I learned from this...any other info or thoughts greatly appreciated!

Old 08-30-2014, 05:36 PM

Found out from buildings dept and HPD that my LL hadn't registered this house as a multiple dwelling and that my apartment is illegal. So when we go to court can't I get all my money back? I also think I've found an apartment for me and my family but just in case I need the 30 or 60 days I think I will be able to get it. I mean a judge will hear all the recordings I have of the threats she has made. And also of her telling me to keep my money and get out. I think I will get the time I need to save and move. I hope so! This witch is going to have to answer to the city boy, she hadn't paid taxes or insurance for a multiple dwelling so even after I move she will never forget me! Threaten my family and try to intimidate us...not smart. I have never met aLL like this. I've never had to go to court. I hate that this is happening but I have to protect myself.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i know the law here but not there.
you did not pay the rent but later decided to do so, so rent was late? she did not give 30 day? no eviction?
then its a non issue.
she grabbed you? you can press charges. did you? if not non issue.
you dont have a lease? then you are month to month.
she can give you 30 day notice. if she did this correctly and you did not move, she can file for eviction.
you have rights but it sounds like you have chosen more than once not to exercise them.
its sounds like she has elected to exercise hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City