Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 AM

26 posts, read 36,709 times

Advertisements

My latest problem in this place is that we haven't had heat or hot water for ten days. The landlords claim they tried to do things asap when the boilerbroke, but I have a hard time believing that it should take ten days. They claim we will have heat and hot water by tomorrow evening but at this point I don't believe that either. There are so many problems with this place we are just trying to get out of the lease, but in the meantime does anywone know what our remedies are? I can't seem to find good anserrs online. I've called 311 but that hasn't helped. Can we withhold or deduct rent for the days without heat and hot water? Or can we use this as a basis to get out of the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,523,895 times
Sorry you're dealing with that. I would keep calling 311. That's what they're there for. (allegedly) Good luck

Old 11-18-2014, 07:58 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,153,249 times
Met Council says that you can withhold rent, but there are many reason for not doing so. So consult a lawyer

Heat & Hot Water | Metropolitan Council on Housing

NY Times advises tenants not to.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/re...-a-repair.html

Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,938,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenin View Post
My latest problem in this place is that we haven't had heat or hot water for ten days. The landlords claim they tried to do things asap when the boilerbroke, but I have a hard time believing that it should take ten days. They claim we will have heat and hot water by tomorrow evening but at this point I don't believe that either. There are so many problems with this place we are just trying to get out of the lease, but in the meantime does anywone know what our remedies are? I can't seem to find good anserrs online. I've called 311 but that hasn't helped. Can we withhold or deduct rent for the days without heat and hot water? Or can we use this as a basis to get out of the lease?
File for a rent abatement with DHCR, or better yet, file in housing court.

Withholding rent can backfire on you.

311 does help - it creates a paper trail, which you need for DHCR and/or housing court actions.

If you are not informed about these things, call Met Council on Housing.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:59 AM

2,606 posts, read 3,408,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
File for a rent abatement with DHCR, or better yet, file in housing court.

Withholding rent can backfire on you.

311 does help - it creates a paper trail, which you need for DHCR and/or housing court actions.

If you are not informed about these things, call Met Council on Housing.
Many tenants I know along with myself got a lot of our issues address when we threatened to withhold rent. When you are not given necessities such as heat and hot water you have every right to withhold rent. Screw them! Its 30 degrees outside right now and I have no HEAT or HOT WATER!!??

I would call up the landlord and tell them that you are going to file a complaint with DHCR and will take them to court. I would then tell them that you are not going to pay them a cent and will deduct a certain amount from the rent for no heat and hot water. I would start looking for a new apartment and when you leave DO NOT PAY THE LAST MONTHS rent. Use the security deposit for the last month and don't use them as a reference.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:49 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,705,075 times
Sorry you didn't provide more information, because naturally boilers can break, and it's hard to know what's happening. It would have helped if you would have told us what 311 said, or what the LL has said besides that one promise, or if you have a super.

This is the one thing that 311 is supposed to be good at. Meanwhile, see if the workers are there tomorrow, and ask them what the prognosis is. I don't think it's a basis of getting out of a lease at this point.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:42 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,435,735 times
Our boiler breaks down sometimes but it never takes 10 days to fix. Chances are their boiler is super old and needs to be replaced....not fixed.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,778,761 times
this is terrible to hear.

One time the boiler in our building broker and landlord had it fixed in 3 days.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,779,309 times
My mom owns property and when the boiler at one of her buildings broke, it took one day to fix. She paid a lot for it and made quite a number of phone calls but she got it done in one day. Same thing happened where I live and mgmt had it fixed over night. Both times, there was hot water just no heat. I'm not saying this to rub it in. My point is, it can be done and 10 days seems an awfully long time to get a boiler replaced/fixed. I would keep calling 311 although they don't seem to be responding. It's terrible that you have no heat AND no hot water. That's inhumane.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,520,602 times
Boilers do break and they do need time to repair, but as others have said, 10 days unreasonable.

Look up "breach of warranty of habitability" because that's the territory that your landlord is entering by delaying heat and hot water for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: