Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 04:40 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
To my mind, kids sharing bedrooms, and especially sharing a room with parents is not middle class.
Correction then...I grew up upper middle class. We had a very tight close knit family. And I'd want the same for my family. Right now I have approximately 1800 square feet of living space and a back yard. More than enough. Only a worldly materialistic man would call that non-middle class, but its not about how much more money I make than you.

Also, I commute with my kids so that I get to spend some extra time with them in the morning and afternoon. Find a school for them that is between point A (home) and point B (work), with the preference being closer to point B in order to spend the most time as possible with them. Don't end up being one of those parents that end up going to work to get away from your kids, which is an easy trap to fall into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Yikes. Puberty would have been especially awkward...
Its family, its life, everyone goes through it. You sound like a little kid that giggles immaturely.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:49 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Quote:
Your post makes sense. But I think it all comes down to what one defines as middle class. Those of us who grew up middle class (however we define it) want our children to have the same or better life than we had, and that would not be possible if I had to take a job in NYC, since no matter what, it would require giving up something that I had with my family growing up.
They would also be getting something in return which is higher salaries and more career opportunities on average, and easier access to amenities like world class playgrounds, parks and museums while also spending enough quality time with their families. So no, it's not that they won't have a better life than their parents. Especially if they don't really want housing more than 1200 sqft.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:13 AM

33,992 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
I spend that time doing basically anything but working and commuting. Such as, eating dinner with my wife, exercising, watching TV, going on the internet, relaxing, sleeping, etc. And, after I have children, I will want to spend time with them, maybe help them with homework when they are school-aged. All things that I would have less time to do if I had a long commute. And, if my wife ever finds a job and isn't home all the time, I will have to help out more with housework, which again, I would have less time to do with a long commute.
I do all of the above even with my commute. To me it's not that hard. No judgement.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-14-2014, 07:15 AM

33,992 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
To my mind, kids sharing bedrooms, and especially sharing a room with parents is not middle class.
Arnold and Willis from Dif'rent Strokes shared a bedroom. I guess Mr. Drummond was on the poverty line lol.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-14-2014, 07:19 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup2008 View Post
I was looking at an "affordable" housing application today and it said you have to make between 31k and 35k and pay $900 a month in rent. I don't know, but maybe that is good.
I don't make between 31 and 35k, but I do pay $900 in rent. I make like 27k, before taxes.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:31 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
From this thread, I think we've come up with the following conclusions:

1. Housing in NYC is very much biased in favor of the extreme rich and the extreme poor. Unfortunately, it is a vicious cycle; as the middle class in NYC gets smaller and smaller, the voters will unfortunately increasingly vote in politicians whose policies favor the extreme rich and the extreme poor, at the expense of the middle class.

2. Different people define middle class differently, mostly based on the lifestyle that they had growing up. Whether or not a middle class lifestyle is possible in NYC depends on ones definition of a middle class lifestyle.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:36 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Hi - someone from Chicago here lurking anyway, currently renting downtown and along the lake is average $1,400 to $2,100 for a 700 square foot apartment average.

If you could get a $1,600 700 square foot apartment in NY, would you think it was a great price or not? Just to compare the two.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - someone from Chicago here lurking anyway, currently renting downtown and along the lake is average $1,400 to $2,100 for a 700 square foot apartment average.

If you could get a $1,600 700 square foot apartment in NY, would you think it was a great price or not? Just to compare the two.
Really depends. What NYC nabe would you consider to be most equivalent to downtown Chicago?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:26 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
When you really think about it NYC does in a way cater to middle class residents, but that effort goes mainly to owners of one and two family homes, not renters.

Property taxes on homes in NYC are low, in some cases very low when compared to NJ, LI and Westchester. OTOH large multifamily rental housing is taxed under commercial rate and thus loses many of the benefits (slow phasing in of increases and so forth) that are enjoyed by the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City