Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM

11 posts, read 16,461 times

Advertisements

My Dad is old and lives by himself. He recently fell and ended up in hospital. Now he's out of the hospital but he needed a lot of help and care in his daily life. I needed someone to be around almost all the time except when he sleeps. He needs someone to come in to take care of him everyday.

He has Medicare and Medicaid. But I don't know where to get help for him as this is new to us. I tried calling some agencies but the bureaucracy is deep to deal with.

Instead of me doing that to find out what might help him, I feel a knowledgeable social worker might be able to speed up the process and know exactly where to get the help. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with a social worker in Queens NYC? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 02:01 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,496 times
Did you try Human Services?

I had a friend who worked for a government agency that did home visits for the elderly. Can't remember the agency's title, sorry. But Human Services should lead you in the right direction. They could also set up something either through Medicare or Medicaid for an home health care aid to help your father. You may have to pay a portion for this service though.

Good luck. Also look into Meals on Wheels.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,318 times
I would try the Visiting Nurse Services of NY- Visiting Nurse Service of New York. They accept medicare/medicaid, though you may need a referral from a MD to access all of their services and ensure everything is covered. This is easy, should be able to get a referral easily from his primary care doctor. They help with household tasks, bathing/dressing, meal preparation, transportation to doctors visits, medical care, etc.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 2,754 times
Default How to find a social worker in Queens?

It’s really stressful time for you but don't worry everything will be sorted out soon. If you want to do some kind of volunteer work then you have to go through with volunteer organizations where you can find various interesting and challenging social work jobs according to your situation suitable area.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
If your Dad stayed awhile in the hospital, there was probably a hospital social worker in charge of that "Discharge" process. Call his hospital's Social Work department, ask which S.W. was assigned to his Discharge. Ask to talk by phone or in person to her or someone else in that department. That department's job is to ensure that he is going home from hospital into a medically safe situation. They're not allowed to approve his hospital discharge until they have a medically safe situation planned, which his dr. signed off on in consultation with the social work dept.

There should be notes on file on his case, what supports he already has in place at home or might need in the near future. If possible, ask that Social Worker for any suggestions, pointers to agencies or help finding better help for your Dad. Be sure they look at his file of their notes on what he's supposed to have in place right now.

Sometimes when elders are discharged they tell the S.W. they have a son at home and so all bets are off for finding them the needed help. Even though you help your Dad, his needs may be greater than you can provide.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 08-29-2014 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: