Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 AM

16 posts, read 21,137 times

Advertisements

Greetings, new to the forum and I have a question / looking for information. My wife and I have found a property in Bed Stuy - Lexington Ave off Malcom X and we are asking the perennial question of how the area is. We are both young professionals and just looking for a place to live and become part of the community. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 AM

30,454 posts, read 17,876,776 times
While I haven't lived in Bed Stuy for years, I do frequent the area still. Given that you and your wife have found a property worth looking into in the area, I don't have to tell you the area has some amazing brownstone/townhouse stock. Most of those properties, from my experience, are inhabited by good, hardworking people who embody the spirit of Brooklyn. The neighborhood still has its rougher blocks and moments, though, when it comes to crime. Here's a link that might give you a better idea of some of the crime issues that persist in the area: http://spotcrime.com/ny/brooklyn/bedford-stuyvesant

Still, I can't say that I feel unsafe when walking around that area, and walk around at all times of the day/night. Most of the more violent crime in these areas (i.e. the shootings) aren't taking place between perps and innocent victims going about their business. No, most of these incidents happen between and among gangbangers. Taking commonsense safety precautions should keep you more than safe, IMO, though.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:04 PM

What area do you frequent? I know that the are where all the brownstones are is gorgeous but we cannot afford the asking prices of those: over $1.5M and need work. What do you know of the area around Malcom X and Lexington Avenue; we would greatly appreciate your input.

RLR

Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,242,990 times
That's not one of the nicer sections of an already bad nabe.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,037,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyr76 View Post
What area do you frequent? I know that the are where all the brownstones are is gorgeous but we cannot afford the asking prices of those: over $1.5M and need work. What do you know of the area around Malcom X and Lexington Avenue; we would greatly appreciate your input.

RLR
Are you serious? Why would you want to move into that ghetto hole?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM

30,454 posts, read 17,876,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphyr76 View Post

RLR
I frequent the area around Quincy and Tompkins (so about 5-6 blocks from where you're looking), though I also spend time closer to Fulton Street. But I'm just in the area visiting friends and, so, really can't tell you much about the nightlight, etc.; although (from what I can tell) there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on so you'd likely have to go elsewhere for that. I will point out, however, that you wouldn't be too far from Broadway, which, while (as best as I can remember) not offering up the healthiest fare necessarily, has a wide array of restaurants, shops, etc., located underneath the elevated subway tracks. Otherwise, as far as safety goes, I reiterate what I wrote before about crime (the crimespot website I linked to earlier is really helpful) and about me feeling perfectly safe when walking in the area.

Again, you already know of the impressive housing stock in the area. Gentrification is making its way into that part of Bed Stuy. If you get in now, you may be making a good investment for the future.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:41 PM

11,561 posts, read 9,261,548 times
Alright dude Im not gonna lie, that is a really bad part of Bed-Stuy

Old 08-29-2014, 06:34 AM

Thank you from your input; do you mean dangerous for a family?

Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 AM

8,077 posts, read 6,677,746 times
OP try to stay south and west in Bed Stuy. That's where the historic district is.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:35 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,310,750 times
Eastern Bed Stuy hasn't yet reached the same gentrification levels that one finds along the western border and landmarked areas closer to Fulton. Meaning, that where you're looking is much more "gritty" than what you'd find where the brownstone prices are well over the $1.5 million mark. Despite this, I've always held that the closer you are to subways that take you to the main working districts of manhattan in under 30 minutes, the more likely you are to see increased improvements in an area (more safety, more amenities, etc). This is pretty close to the J train. Without actually mapping it, it looks like an under 30 minute commute to the FIDI which bodes well for more improvements in that area.

The fact is that other parts of Bed Stuy have gotten too expensive for many would be brownstone buyers and this is pushing them further east. This means that the eastern areas will continue to change. However, you really need to be comfortable with how things are NOW and YOU are the only ones that can determine what comfortable means and feels like to you. It's summertime so you should absolutely check out the area at night or better yet at the times of the evening you'd regularly be coming home. Make sure to walk to and from the train (or whatever transportation you'd normally take) and see how comfortable you feel. Also, it wouldn't hurt to walk around the blocks surrounding the place, check out some bodegas and local stores, and talk to some of the neighbors sitting on their porches and stoops or working in their yards. The neighbors are friendly and will talk to you. Just don't come off sounding obnoxious. A simple question like "we're thinking of moving into the neighborhood. Do you have kids? How is it for families?" Would be a good conversation starter.

My personal feeling about that area is that it's not close enough to the amenities that you'd find in the western area or the landmarked area- which is what I'd want to be closest to. It's also more "gritty" feeling. Malcolm X ave itself feels run down but it's getting better (slowly). As for safety, you can look at crime maps to get that answer but as someone else pointed out, violent crime is between individuals that know each other. The most common crimes that would happen to new comers is theft/robbery. The likelihood of someone shooting you is slim, but grabbing your iPhone, that's more likely. Like I said, I highly recommend you hang out in the area to get a sense of how comfortable you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: