Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 04:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,108,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Makes sense. She's in the same car as the driver. Sit near the front.

While waiting on street, if she must ask a question, teach her to quietly go ask another woman, preferably middle aged or senior. They'll watch out for her without it being obvious.
What's wrong with asking a man? Unless you really have a bad feeling about the guy (if he looks like he's on drugs or something, or if he's catcalling all the girls passing by, or something). We shouldn't be teaching women to fear men.

Plus, on top of that, consider that she's 16, not 11 or 12. You can't coddle her forever. There's plenty of 14 year-old girls making commutes halfway across the city on public transportation, let alone a 20 minute bus ride. She just has to learn to trust her instincts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:29 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,824,073 times
Does your daughter have a older sibling thats been to ny? If so then she could with her and then after a couple times she could just go by herself.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:02 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
I started to take public busses by myself to school in 5th grade, but that was fairly short local travel. I took my first subway ride by myself at age 13 when I was in high school and it was not a safe line or station. I would not have let my own do that when they turned 13, but I would be fine with it at age 16, especially in Manhattan. It really depends where and if they are used to traveling with busses and subways accompanied by adults when they were younger.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:46 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,428,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
My husband and I are at loggerheads on this issue. The daughter in question is almost 16, and the trip would be on a NYC bus, 20 minutes total with one transfer, during daylight hours (anywhere between 3-6pm) in a reasonably safe neighborhood. She wouldn't have to cross any streets. I am fine with it, he is not.

I was taking public transportation alone (not NYC) at age 15 and NYC public transportation at age 17. He was taking NYC public transportation alone from age 12 or 13. But I guess these days parents are more protective??

thanks for your input.
I used to ride the subways with my brother and friends at night in the Bronx when I was like 8 or 9. Of course we usually had some friends with us, spray paint cans, markers, numb-chucks, switch blades, sling shots and those small Yankee Bats they gave out on bat day. Man they pack a punch.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:55 AM

4,171 posts, read 4,045,806 times
At 16 a person can get a learner's permit to drive a car. Certainly that's old enough for the average 16 year old to take public transportation alone. For someone whose never taken buses/trains alone at any age, the only concern should be not getting lost. Go with her once to show her the way if she's not familiar with the trip. You should probably also teach her how to cross streets by herself if that's a concern.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:34 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,824,073 times
16 and dont know how to cross the street. Sheesh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City