Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 02:45 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,385,210 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know if landlords control the cool air that comes into your apartment like they do heat ? Are there months when they are required to give you cool air and are there months when they can turn it off like they do with boilers ?

It seems like my AC has gone from cool just last night to warm air tonight with everything on HIGH. Nothing is wrong with it otherwise. My LL is stingy with the heat so I thought maybe they rigged the cool air as well. I know when winter comes they switch everything to heat mode. This makes me think they control the cool air as well because it comes out of the same place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 08:53 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Yes they can.

But only in buildings with central A/C. These were mostly built in the 1950's and you got (get if you are lucky) ice cold water pumped through coils in your apartment. You paid only for the electricity to blow the room air, or outside air over the cold coils.

You can recognize these brick buildings by a very the small slot under the windows.

Separate pipes carried the condensed water down.

I don't know if there are laws when governing when the chilled water must be pumped up.

(Probably someone here HAS this wonderful system and will let us know.)

Old 08-31-2014, 08:55 AM

33,333 posts, read 46,766,348 times
I am very familiar with NYC's HEAT law but I have never heard of a cooling law...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-31-2014, 01:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,143,264 times
Arizona rentals require the landlord to provide A/C, most other states don't. There are plenty of NYC apartment rentals without A/C. But working A/C could be part of the rental agreement, and then not providing A/C would violate the rental agreement.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:29 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,343,513 times
This is no requirement to provide AC per building code.

If a tenant is in a rent regulated apartment, and the apartment came with AC originally, the LL will have to maintain the service as it was originally supplied. This means if it came with an AC unit, but it ran off the tenants Con Ed account, the LL will have to repair/replace it as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I am very familiar with NYC's HEAT law but I have never heard of a cooling law...

Old 08-31-2014, 03:14 PM

33,333 posts, read 46,766,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is no requirement to provide AC per building code.

If a tenant is in a rent regulated apartment, and the apartment came with AC originally, the LL will have to maintain the service as it was originally supplied. This means if it came with an AC unit, but it ran off the tenants Con Ed account, the LL will have to repair/replace it as necessary.
That's different. I was being more literal with answering the OP's post, like the LL is not required to keep the apartment at a certain amount of degrees during the summer months, like they are required to do from October to May.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-31-2014, 03:49 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,385,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's different. I was being more literal with answering the OP's post, like the LL is not required to keep the apartment at a certain amount of degrees during the summer months, like they are required to do from October to May.
YES. This is what I was referring to. It seems appropriate since extreme weather conditions HOT and COLD can effect health in a negative way. I wonder how the elderly deal with it and if there is some sort of protection for them besides cooling centers ?

Old 08-31-2014, 04:53 PM

31,588 posts, read 26,419,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
YES. This is what I was referring to. It seems appropriate since extreme weather conditions HOT and COLD can effect health in a negative way. I wonder how the elderly deal with it and if there is some sort of protection for them besides cooling centers ?
NYC laws regarding indoor temperature were written ages ago and though tweaked now and then still only deal with minimum not maximum. That is landlords are required to maintain a certain indoor temperature versus outdoor during the cooler months of the year, but nothing requires them to lower (cool) same in regards to warmer weather.

Only protection tenants have is their terms of their original lease (for RS/RC tenants) and or similar for market rate units. That is if the apartment came with AC (central, PATC, window, wall, etc...) then the LL is required to maintain said units/systems in good order, and or replace if they fail. Even then a tenant's recourse is only to sue for reduction in rent for loss of services.

No, for seniors and others without AC there are few alternatives to cooling centers. Several years back during a prolonged NYC heat wave one or more air conditioner manufacturers and or appliance dealers steeped in and donated/gave away units to those unable to otherwise afford, but then there is the question of paying to run the thing. Many seniors and or those on very limited or fixed income even when they have access to AC do not like to run the thing because they cannot afford the increased electric bills. While there are programs such as HEAP and or assistance from ConEd or charity some just don't like to ask thinking they can tough it out.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,184,616 times
Depending on your individual circumstances they do sell free-standing air conditioners as well. Two of our friends & family do use have had the same one for at least 10 years. Think they purchased them at PC Richards & they were delivered to their apartments. They paid for them on their own & as far as they know LL does not know about them. Their Electric is included in their rent too so I am shocked their LL does not ask at all about the larger electric bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City