Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 04:14 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How did you test? Just curious.
Same as one tests hot water coming out of the taps at home, with a thermometer (instant read) held under into the water flow.

Having grown up in the suburbs (ok Staten Island), never used a laundrymat in one's life until moving to Manhattan after college. Quite frankly did not then nor now like the idea of putting my laundry into a machine where everyone has been before. Was also concerned about soil removal and so forth. Since a large part of laundry cleaning is from thermal action (water temperature) wanted to see what was what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 04:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Same as one tests hot water coming out of the taps at home, with a thermometer (instant read) held under into the water flow.

Having grown up in the suburbs (ok Staten Island), never used a laundrymat in one's life until moving to Manhattan after college. Quite frankly did not then nor now like the idea of putting my laundry into a machine where everyone has been before. Was also concerned about soil removal and so forth. Since a large part of laundry cleaning is from thermal action (water temperature) wanted to see what was what.
Kool

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-07-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Kool
Keep in mind also most all NYC laundrymats with front loaders start with a cold or warm (if you are lucky) prewash. Well between the cold metal tub from a start, then a cold prewash and the fact these machines do not spin between the pre-wash and main wash whatever "hot" water is taken in is quickly cooled.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:51 PM

300 posts, read 374,909 times
Quote:
Umm ok.....you obviously don't have children. Let's say you live in a private house and your kid makes an accident....and you have your own washer/dryer....it's ok because it's your kids urine/feces? Talk about immature....
I think this person's point was that the person coming behind the homeless person probably won't know who used the machine before them so they won't get the chance to disinfect the machine. One of my neighbors has a dog and there is always hair in the machine either from her dogs and or from her long hair shedding which I find replusive. I don't want to do my laundry and have someone's hair in my "clean" clothes, so I actually clean out the machine with soap, then spray bleach in the machine and then put more soap in the detergent dispenser and run a cycle with nothing in it but hot water, bleach and soap for 40 minutes. Then and only then do I put my clothes in and I know exactly where my clothes have been so if I need to prewash any piece of clothing beforehand I do so or wash it separately as the last wash. There was an article out that talks about how dirty washing machines are which makes a lot of sense. Most people just throw all of their dirty clothes in the machine (regardless of what they are along with sneakers and other things that collect all sorts of bacteria and germs), but they never disinfect the machine and run cycles with just hot water, bleach and soap.

I could never allow some stranger to do my clothes. Just not my cup of tea, but I hear a lot of people do that, and then they complain about how poorly their clothes came out.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I think this person's point was that the person coming behind the homeless person probably won't know who used the machine before them so they won't get the chance to disinfect the machine. One of my neighbors has a dog and there is always hair in the machine either from her dogs and or from her long hair shedding which I find replusive. I don't want to do my laundry and have someone's hair in my "clean" clothes, so I actually clean out the machine with soap, then spray bleach in the machine and then put more soap in the detergent dispenser and run a cycle with nothing in it but hot water, bleach and soap for 40 minutes. Then and only then do I put my clothes in and I know exactly where my clothes have been so if I need to prewash any piece of clothing beforehand I do so or wash it separately as the last wash. There was an article out that talks about how dirty washing machines are which makes a lot of sense. Most people just throw all of their dirty clothes in the machine (regardless of what they are along with sneakers and other things that collect all sorts of bacteria and germs), but they never disinfect the machine and run cycles with just hot water, bleach and soap.

I could never allow some stranger to do my clothes. Just not my cup of tea, but I hear a lot of people do that, and then they complain about how poorly their clothes came out.
3 Ways to Clean the Inside of a Washing Machine - wikiHow

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-07-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I do all of those things currently so I'm not sure I get the point of posting that link... I think this is more of an issue for people who do their clothes at the laundromat.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post

Your average "fluff and fold" laundrymat is staffed by Chinese or Asian immigrants (usually recently arrived) with limited English skills. They do laundry basically by sorting into "whites" and "darks" and that is pretty much about far is goes. Every load gets tons of Tide and lots of Downy or several dryer sheets and that is that. Whadday expect for $.60/per pound?

Even paying more for services such as Hamperville does not always translate into better results. This is why so many are again demanding laundry appliances in their units or at least building. You cannot sell a luxury or even upper middle income unit today in Manhattan without W&D as new appliances or allowing them to be installed. Well you *might* but the price will suffer.

Now that there are so many offerings of front loading washing machines Americans living in urban areas are discovering what those in European cities have long since had; compact and efficient washing machines in their own apartments. Dryers while nice can be worked around. Plenty of families in Europe still hang wet laundry either outdoors on balconies or indoors on drying racks. That or take freshly washed laundry to local laundrymat and use their dryers.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Your average "fluff and fold" laundrymat is staffed by Chinese or Asian immigrants (usually recently arrived) with limited English skills. They do laundry basically by sorting into "whites" and "darks" and that is pretty much about far is goes. Every load gets tons of Tide and lots of Downy or several dryer sheets and that is that. Whadday expect for $.60/per pound?

Even paying more for services such as Hamperville does not always translate into better results. This is why so many are again demanding laundry appliances in their units or at least building. You cannot sell a luxury or even upper middle income unit today in Manhattan without W&D as new appliances or allowing them to be installed. Well you *might* but the price will suffer.

Now that there are so many offerings of front loading washing machines Americans living in urban areas are discovering what those in European cities have long since had; compact and efficient washing machines in their own apartments. Dryers while nice can be worked around. Plenty of families in Europe still hang wet laundry either outdoors on balconies or indoors on drying racks. That or take freshly washed laundry to local laundrymat and use their dryers.
Very true about the last part... I dry very little... Most of my clothes are hung dry in the walk-in closet.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 AM

175 posts, read 279,483 times
Quote:
Poster has a point and yes that is why many are demanding their own laundry appliances in their apartments.

Case in point local Laundromat in Yorkville sees plenty of visits from several dog walking services both store front such as Biscuits and Bath and private (persons operating same out of their apartments). Both often wash pet hair infested bedding and towels. The next person using said washing machines is treated to the sight of all that hair and God only knows what else all over the glass and tumbling around with their laundry. Two friends of mine got so disgusted by this they purchased their own laundry equipment.

Hot water used in most laundrymats in NYC rarely reaches 140F (I've tested) so there isn't the sort of sanitation between loads you might think. One's only recourse is to use chlorine bleach or another sort of disinfectant with one's wash.
Ew, please tell me is this the Mat II? I do my laundry here.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
When I resided in Hoboken, I did it myself at the laundromat as there was a bit of scene there (hi Barbie!).

After that, I tended to drop off and pick up as it only cost a couple of dollars more and they folded it up perfectly. Was a couple of dollars worth the convenience? Yes.

When going home for holidays, I would pack nothing but dirty clothes and wash them as soon as I arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: