Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:15 AM

546 posts, read 1,176,778 times

Advertisements

I am not a felon but I do have a question regarding this. How do felons get housing and jobs in NYC? I heard there is a law in New York that says if you did any crime, whether it be misdemenor or felony you cannot ever be able to get rent controlled apartment even if you were a child when you did a crime. That is a very unfair and unjust law, but until something big happens to change it, it is very unfortunate and one of the great evils of our time.

Also, private companies who rent out apartments always do background checks for credit, employment, and criminal behavior. The same with jobs or education, if you do a crime they will not hire you or even allow you go to college. With that type of scrutiny, I think it is very hard for people who have felons or misdemeanors, or people who get fired from their jobs or bad credit history to even live. Even people who don't have those types of issues have too much of a hard time finding a job or housing.

Do people who are any of the above (especially felons/misdemeanors) then don't live in apartments but are all homeless people on the streets of NYC?

Do you know of any people who have felonies or misdemeanors and they have jobs or housing and are able to live a "decent" life?

Do you think felons and misdemeanors should be able to get jobs and housing without discrimination in NYC?

Also, if you own a house would you rent out to someone if you ran a background check and they had misdemeanor or felony convictions? Would you be very angry if the law was one day passed that you cannot discriminate on the basis of a criminal record?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 12:13 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
I'm not a felon, but I heard from a friend this is how you
work the system. First off all... Never..... Oh sheet......

RED ALERT! Someone knocking on my door, Evasive
maneuver Alpha! GTG!

Back.. false alarm! All you have to do is run for
office, you will not only live a decent life, you can
also make up rules the way you like.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 PM

31 posts, read 159,534 times
The felon should have thought about this before he/she committed the crime!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I am not a felon but I do have a question regarding this. How do felons get housing and jobs in NYC? I heard there is a law in New York that says if you did any crime, whether it be misdemenor or felony you cannot ever be able to get rent controlled apartment even if you were a child when you did a crime. That is a very unfair and unjust law, but until something big happens to change it, it is very unfortunate and one of the great evils of our time.

Also, private companies who rent out apartments always do background checks for credit, employment, and criminal behavior. The same with jobs or education, if you do a crime they will not hire you or even allow you go to college. With that type of scrutiny, I think it is very hard for people who have felons or misdemeanors, or people who get fired from their jobs or bad credit history to even live. Even people who don't have those types of issues have too much of a hard time finding a job or housing.

Do people who are any of the above (especially felons/misdemeanors) then don't live in apartments but are all homeless people on the streets of NYC?

Do you know of any people who have felonies or misdemeanors and they have jobs or housing and are able to live a "decent" life?

Do you think felons and misdemeanors should be able to get jobs and housing without discrimination in NYC?

Also, if you own a house would you rent out to someone if you ran a background check and they had misdemeanor or felony convictions? Would you be very angry if the law was one day passed that you cannot discriminate on the basis of a criminal record?
Your friend can try the Fortune Society. Fortune Society
Good luck.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:59 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Evasive maneuver Alpha! GTG!
Too bad there's no new Star Trek on TV but if there was and they put this in the script as inside joke, it'd be hilarious.

Picard: Evasive maneuver Alpha, pattern gtg (go to go) or gfto (get the f- out)

lol

Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM

337 posts, read 968,900 times
Housing shouldn't be a problem. As for jobs you have limited yourself. May I ask how you became a felon?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Housing shouldn't be a problem. As for jobs you have limited yourself. May I ask how you became a felon?
I am not a felon and don't plan on becoming one. I was just concerned because I keep hearing horror stories of those who had one run in with the law then after their sentence they find they cannot do anything like get a job or house, even the basic living. You could call me a "bleeding heart liberal" or "social activist" if you want, I am into stuff like this.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
If you have a misdemeanor crime, to my understanding, and you have otherwise been a law abiding citizen, you can appeal to the court to have your record esponged. Get an attorney.

So that takes caee of the little crimes.

So you think it unfair, maybe. What about voting rights? Felons lose their right to vote. Is that unfair?

I w/n let to a person who I would consider dangerous and/or who I deem w/b a problem. The reason criminals, ex- or otherwise have a hard time is because of those perceptions.

Would YOU have an issue? Would you OP, rent to a rapist? Say someone convicted twice for sexual assault?

The Felon, is it the person's one and only crime? In most cases not. So, in most cases you are talking about a person with a history of crimes. Would you rent to a person with such a history?

Yes, it does make it tough for those who are legitimately going straight, but, what are people supposed to do? Put themselves in jeopardy?

Does your Felon have a job?

My personal bottom line w/b this:

Several years of crimeless existence
several years of employment
No horrendous criminal history, such as rape, incest, or any involving children
Basically no serious violent history.

On the personal, I might consider it. BUT, life is beyond the personal, one has the welfare of one's family, and one's financial welfare. Your Felon commits a crime in the building upon a fellow tenant, who do you think will be sued? The LL! The LL will be responsible if he had prior knowledge and/or the reasonable expectation that the Felon would commit a crime. It is a risk that can be forestalled simply not renting to a person with a criminal history.

Here is my take on the subject and it leads to legal and particularly illegal immigration. There used to be in this country a layer of employment in which a high percentage of employees were ex-convicts.

This layer included, shot order cook, dishwasher, day laborer, construction, and many other generally low paying physically demanding jobs of great variety. These were the domain of the ex-convict.

Unfortunately, those jobs no longer are reserved to filling a natural societal needemploying the unemployable. Today, this layer of employment has been usurped by the illegal and legal immigrant.

Stop unfetterd immigration and help create employment for the underclass. Stop unfettered immigration and the recent growth in crime will be slowed.

JFYI, criminal history has been a surprising incentive for entreprenureship. If one can't find a jobb, one alternative is to create a job.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
If you have a misdemeanor crime, to my understanding, and you have otherwise been a law abiding citizen, you can appeal to the court to have your record esponged. Get an attorney.

So that takes caee of the little crimes.

So you think it unfair, maybe. What about voting rights? Felons lose their right to vote. Is that unfair?

I w/n let to a person who I would consider dangerous and/or who I deem w/b a problem. The reason criminals, ex- or otherwise have a hard time is because of those perceptions.

Would YOU have an issue? Would you OP, rent to a rapist? Say someone convicted twice for sexual assault?

The Felon, is it the person's one and only crime? In most cases not. So, in most cases you are talking about a person with a history of crimes. Would you rent to a person with such a history?

Yes, it does make it tough for those who are legitimately going straight, but, what are people supposed to do? Put themselves in jeopardy?

Does your Felon have a job?

My personal bottom line w/b this:

Several years of crimeless existence
several years of employment
No horrendous criminal history, such as rape, incest, or any involving children
Basically no serious violent history.

On the personal, I might consider it. BUT, life is beyond the personal, one has the welfare of one's family, and one's financial welfare. Your Felon commits a crime in the building upon a fellow tenant, who do you think will be sued? The LL! The LL will be responsible if he had prior knowledge and/or the reasonable expectation that the Felon would commit a crime. It is a risk that can be forestalled simply not renting to a person with a criminal history.

Here is my take on the subject and it leads to legal and particularly illegal immigration. There used to be in this country a layer of employment in which a high percentage of employees were ex-convicts.

This layer included, shot order cook, dishwasher, day laborer, construction, and many other generally low paying physically demanding jobs of great variety. These were the domain of the ex-convict.

Unfortunately, those jobs no longer are reserved to filling a natural societal needemploying the unemployable. Today, this layer of employment has been usurped by the illegal and legal immigrant.

Stop unfetterd immigration and help create employment for the underclass. Stop unfettered immigration and the recent growth in crime will be slowed.

JFYI, criminal history has been a surprising incentive for entreprenureship. If one can't find a jobb, one alternative is to create a job.
I think through with people who are felons with multiple felonies and a bad history, it would be good if they would be rented to. Maybe it should apply not to those who own a small brownstone and only have like 3 or 4 apartments to rent in it. It should apply though more for big highrises that have like 100 units in it, and it has security in it too. Since those big 100-unit highrises have lots of people in them, the owner even if they live in it should feel safe in it and they get more revenue to hire security. Maybe they do things like sweep for drugs and stuff with a dog or something in the middle of the night and have cameras in the hallways to make sure no crimes happen there.

As far as liability concerns, I think that is the problem that the LL could be liable if a person commits a crime on a tenant. That definitely needs to go and instead maybe there should be an insurance you pay or some tax credit or something to help prevent the LL from being liable for choosing to give a felon housing in their apartment. There definitely needs to be some changes in the law because as it stands, society has a problem it needs to solve and they cannot solve it if they unfairly punish a landlord for renting to a felon. If the felon does a crime, the liability should be passed to someone else even if it means insurance or something and I think that would be a good law. It is like no good deed goes unpunished.

The reason I see this is because I went to this website called Share International, which is calling for the United Nations to help set up worldwide basic rights that should be for every person on this earth, which I also assume would include those who got out of jail too. The four basic things that they want the UN to promote are:
1. Food (and good drinking water) for all people worldwide
2. Housing (which I assume would also be for felons as well)
3. Healthcare
4. Education
Also a big issue is reorienting the world's economies to make those basic needs a universal right for all people in the world and doing everything to save the enviornment.
www.shareintl.org

That is why I think it would be good if felons should get jobs and housing in NYC, and all over the world too. If a felon cannot get housing or jobs, he will most likely commit another crime. At least with those basic needs met, he is less likely to victimize another innocent person.

I also agree that entrepreneurship is good for ex-cons but the problem is that there is not enough capital to start up a business or it is harder to come by these days.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 PM

337 posts, read 968,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I think through with people who are felons with multiple felonies and a bad history, it would be good if they would be rented to. Maybe it should apply not to those who own a small brownstone and only have like 3 or 4 apartments to rent in it. It should apply though more for big highrises that have like 100 units in it, and it has security in it too. Since those big 100-unit highrises have lots of people in them, the owner even if they live in it should feel safe in it and they get more revenue to hire security. Maybe they do things like sweep for drugs and stuff with a dog or something in the middle of the night and have cameras in the hallways to make sure no crimes happen there.

As far as liability concerns, I think that is the problem that the LL could be liable if a person commits a crime on a tenant. That definitely needs to go and instead maybe there should be an insurance you pay or some tax credit or something to help prevent the LL from being liable for choosing to give a felon housing in their apartment. There definitely needs to be some changes in the law because as it stands, society has a problem it needs to solve and they cannot solve it if they unfairly punish a landlord for renting to a felon. If the felon does a crime, the liability should be passed to someone else even if it means insurance or something and I think that would be a good law. It is like no good deed goes unpunished.

The reason I see this is because I went to this website called Share International, which is calling for the United Nations to help set up worldwide basic rights that should be for every person on this earth, which I also assume would include those who got out of jail too. The four basic things that they want the UN to promote are:
1. Food (and good drinking water) for all people worldwide
2. Housing (which I assume would also be for felons as well)
3. Healthcare
4. Education
Also a big issue is reorienting the world's economies to make those basic needs a universal right for all people in the world and doing everything to save the enviornment.
www.shareintl.org

That is why I think it would be good if felons should get jobs and housing in NYC, and all over the world too. If a felon cannot get housing or jobs, he will most likely commit another crime. At least with those basic needs met, he is less likely to victimize another innocent person.

I also agree that entrepreneurship is good for ex-cons but the problem is that there is not enough capital to start up a business or it is harder to come by these days.
Bro, talk about misguided and wasted energy! Most felons will commit another crime regardless of the opportunities available. It's called being a f'ed up moron. Why are concerned with how criminals fare? Choose another battle? Teen pregnancy,HIV awareness,spay/neuter programs, or anything else with merit. There have to be more pressing issues in your community. Get an education,work,don't have kids you wont be a full time father to,obey laws,and respect people. It's actually pretty simple. People that matter will respect you for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City