Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:29 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times

Advertisements

I have taken the subway across the Manhattan Bridge but never walked across it. Has anyone walked across it? If yes, what is there to do or see on the Brooklyn side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 02:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,592,090 times
Considering I lived near the foot of the Manhattan Bridge for a while on the Brooklyn side, I can say it's pretty nice outside of the Fort Greene Houses. It's mostly just luxury apartments and shops that close really early. If you go down Flatbush Ave to Dekalb Ave, the neighborhood changes dramatically.

My favorite spots were a chinese place that sold dumplings 4 for $1, Metrotech Park, and the biggie, Fort Greene Park.

If you want immediately around the foot of the bridge, all I can say is that it's pretty dang corporate. Main reason why I left; wasn't much of a place to live unless you had to have Manhattan views at higher than Manhattan prices. A lot of organic grocery stores though, albeit expensive ones.

There's also the Vinegar Hill houses. Can't say they're all that interesting.

Now Brooklyn Heights! That's another story. At least your money goes towards good schools and you have cheaper and more options to do stuff. Gotta love Clark, Montague, and Atlantic, though I miss the comic store that used to be there.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Considering I lived near the foot of the Manhattan Bridge for a while on the Brooklyn side, I can say it's pretty nice outside of the Fort Greene Houses. It's mostly just luxury apartments and shops that close really early. If you go down Flatbush Ave to Dekalb Ave, the neighborhood changes dramatically.

My favorite spots were a chinese place that sold dumplings 4 for $1, Metrotech Park, and the biggie, Fort Greene Park.

If you want immediately around the foot of the bridge, all I can say is that it's pretty dang corporate. Main reason why I left; wasn't much of a place to live unless you had to have Manhattan views at higher than Manhattan prices. A lot of organic grocery stores though, albeit expensive ones.

There's also the Vinegar Hill houses. Can't say they're all that interesting.

Now Brooklyn Heights! That's another story. At least your money goes towards good schools and you have cheaper and more options to do stuff. Gotta love Clark, Montague, and Atlantic, though I miss the comic store that used to be there.
What is the closest subway stop on the Brooklyn side?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,592,090 times
You could get off at York St F which is very close to the absolute base of the bridge. This is starkly DUMBO, though I've never really found that stop all that interesting or accessible. My favorite was the Jay St - Metrotech A, C, F, (R too but still not connected to Manhattan because of Sandy) because of the park or Dekalb Ave B, Q, R, and D late nights because I lived off of Flatbush and Myrtle, but both of these are south and aren't necessarily what you're looking for as far as "Brooklyn side of the Manhattan Bridge".

Old 09-04-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
You could get off at York St F which is very close to the absolute base of the bridge. This is starkly DUMBO, though I've never really found that stop all that interesting or accessible. My favorite was the Jay St - Metrotech A, C, F, (R too but still not connected to Manhattan because of Sandy) because of the park or Dekalb Ave B, Q, R, and D late nights because I lived off of Flatbush and Myrtle, but both of these are south and aren't necessarily what you're looking for as far as "Brooklyn side of the Manhattan Bridge".
Thanks for the information. Anyone else?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,836,839 times
I have some in-laws living right off Tillary (midway between the De Kalb and the York St. stations,) and when we went to to visit we got off the F train at De Kalb and then to check out the neighborhood went home from the York St. stop.

The York St. area was dreary and warehousey. From my best guess it seems quite a pedestrian climb from the station up to the bridge to the bridge, but that seems the best alternative.
The walk all the way from the De Kalb station onto the bridge seems a bad alternative.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have some in-laws living right off Tillary (midway between the De Kalb and the York St. stations,) and when we went to to visit we got off the F train at De Kalb and then to check out the neighborhood went home from the York St. stop.

The York St. area was dreary and warehousey. From my best guess it seems quite a pedestrian climb from the station up to the bridge to the bridge, but that seems the best alternative.
The walk all the way from the De Kalb station onto the bridge seems a bad alternative.
Good to know!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:05 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,868,057 times
I stay around there every now and then for a few days. I really like it there. Area has changed/is changing very quickly, and for the better I might add.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 09-05-2014 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 02:01 PM

Is there anything to see or do in DUMBO (which I understand is right by the Brooklyn side of the bridge)?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:28 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,512,212 times
There is nothing to do in DUMBO. Just a bunch of condos with yuppies and strollers and trust fund "artists".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: