Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The last I heard pepper spray is legal in NYC but check for yourself. You might be able to get some at sporting goods stores. If bug spray works I would carry that. But pepper spray would probably be more effective and less likely than an insecticde to cause lasting injury to the dog. We wouldn't want to blind the little pooch, now would we?
Yes pepper spray is legal, but you need to fill out some small paperwork. Mace however is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:50 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
That sucks about Throgs Neck. I've been hearing posts talking about how many single family homes have gotten knocked down in favor of big ugly apartment buildings that are renting out to section 8. Oh well, another nice middle class enclave bites the dust.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:24 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Go to your local Chinese restaurant and offer to buy their old/used spatula from them. Insist you only
want the old spatula is a must! And then gift wrap it and surprise your wife on valentine's day. Dogs will
run away from your wife half a block away. I'm sure this unique gift will melt your wife's heart too.

For me, I just go across the street when I see an aggressive dog or not feeling comfortable around some
dogs. I think carrying a sturdy umbrella like anifani821's friend is also a good idea if your wife don't mind
the extra weight. It's useful for protection against both bad dogs and bad people.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:25 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
That sucks about Throgs Neck. I've been hearing posts talking about how many single family homes have gotten knocked down in favor of big ugly apartment buildings that are renting out to section 8. Oh well, another nice middle class enclave bites the dust.
Building of multi family homes has slowed significantly. I'm guessing most of the larger lots are sold and the state of the economy. They also tightened the codes during the boom.

In some parts of TN there was difficulty selling the multi family homes and many did go Section 8/programmed.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Call the health department and report illegal breeding. This probably happens through 311, phone or web site. Call often. Every day. Mention the reports. Breeding and selling is illegal, and the animals often suffer.

You can also call the ASPCA and report this and cruelty as well. You should mention the reports to them. They move cautiously, though, because the sorts of people who breed dogs illegally are the same sort looking for that big pay-out. The ASPCA is sued quite often for "harassment."

Also ... look for a rescue group who deals with bully breed issues, Uptown Cats comes to mind if you can deal with the guy.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:02 PM

54 posts, read 65,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wish the city council can pass a resolution to ban the sale and breeding of pitbulls doberman and other types of aggressive large dogs. Some dogs are designed for the outdoors and not city streets.
BSL is morally wrong. In some of the outer borough neighborhoods the American Pit Bull Terrier is practically the NYC mascot.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:38 PM

54 posts, read 65,751 times

Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 PM

20 posts, read 43,797 times
Charmed hour, the problem with the aggressive dog(s) is the one that attacked mine takes her dog down my street several times a day (he was attacked a few doors down). I don't want to end the dog's life, just wish the owner would take responsibility, since the dog could probably be rehabilitated and is a product of her conditioning. Sadly, I'm 99 percent sure she's breeding them to make quick cash and for dogfighting, which she used to use to buy drugs from a house off of Randall (guy was evicted though).

ConeyGirl52, if sinking your teeth into a dogs neck while snarling isn't aggressive, I'm not sure what is. I had to pull my dog into the air with my leash and club/push the other dog off (I'm over 200 pounds, so it was feasible). But I agree, all dogs can be made aggressive by their owner. I love pits, and have met many sweet ones (my dogs part pit!). But unfortunately, the breed has a bad rep out here since a lot of "tough" guys want them for the wrong reasons, and even worse people breed them, so the ones that people see here are, for the most part, not a good representation of the breed.

Charmedhour, correct, there's no such thing as a locking jaw. It's a common misconception.

NYCitygirl24, unfortunately the vast majority of dogs I've seen here in Throggs Neck arent fixed. I've heard reasons from "I wouldn't want my balls cut off" to "I watched a youtube video and gon' make a lotta money" (at the Pelham Park dog run). The dog that attacked mine was actually female! But clearly not fixed either, as she clearly had given birth several times (the owner was bragging that she just had puppies, and to forgive her for that reason). I'll look into the water gun trick, although knowing my luck I'll recieve some sort of citation for it...

NooYowkur81, know where to get pepper spray? Preferably that which shoots in a stream from long distances?

DoomDan515, some of my neighbors here are devastated by what's happened to this neighborhood. I'm not sure if it would be correct to blame everyone that lives in section 8 though, I've met some nice people that do.

Jaydata, the umbrella idea is one I thought of too. It'll just be strange for her to carry around one on a sunny summer day.

Harlem resident, already called. 311 does not do anything out here, and it doesn't help that the woman won't give me her name. I mentioned I have pictures and video footage but they want her address, and I'm certainly not going to stalk a woman to her house. And I hate the breeding and selling too, I've reported it to ASPCA as well and they need more information to take action.

newurbsnyc, BSL has good intentions but is misguided. The APBT is a contender for NYC mascot, but the people out here are giving them a bad name. I wish there was some sort of service that provided low income families with training for the dogs and owners, particularly one that included information that shows the benefits of fixing.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM

20 posts, read 43,797 times
Jaydata, I forgot to mention I was across the street when this happened. The woman tied her pitbull to a fence and left her there while she was in the (former tenant) drug dealer's house. She was secured with what appeared to be an incredibly cheap collar, and broke out and dashed halfway into the street.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbebop View Post

newurbsnyc, BSL has good intentions but is misguided. The APBT is a contender for NYC mascot, but the people out here are giving them a bad name. I wish there was some sort of service that provided low income families with training for the dogs and owners, particularly one that included information that shows the benefits of fixing.
There are many groups that work at this. You cannot change the culture.

There is some around here as well, or I should say on lower Convent near St. N. Terrace. Police action is the only option and it is for the good of the animals in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City