Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:15 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,186,858 times

Advertisements

Some of you are missing the entire point of my posting. For the record, I don't think that they should have to change the team name. And if they do decide to change the name, it shouldn't be because the liberal news media stuck their noses into the matter.

But the real point of this thread is to highlight how the media is not doing what they are supposed to be doing: reporting the news. With all of the major issues we have, let's give you the economy, 17 trillion of debt, and ISIS to start with, doesn't the daily news have other things to be worrying about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:32 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,681,773 times
Sack Washington from the name.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,530,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Some of you are missing the entire point of my posting. For the record, I don't think that they should have to change the team name. And if they do decide to change the name, it shouldn't be because the liberal news media stuck their noses into the matter.

But the real point of this thread is to highlight how the media is not doing what they are supposed to be doing: reporting the news. With all of the major issues we have, let's give you the economy, 17 trillion of debt, and ISIS to start with, doesn't the daily news have other things to be worrying about?

The funniest thing about this is you calling the Daily News "leftist" ! That's a hoot.

I don't get your post tho - the Daily News is all about reporting the "economy sucks" and "Obama isn't a leader". They endorsed Romney too. I can only assume you haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about and that you just posted a link and got outraged about it.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:39 AM

900 posts, read 2,368,170 times
You two should become fast friends.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:58 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,006,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I have never heard the NY Daily News called a "leftist" paper. Ever.

And Native Americans do find the Redskins name offensive. I mean how could anyone not?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyadler...al-slur#fst6gm

Quote:
Americans Find Redskins Name Offensive

In January, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell claimed 9/10 Native Americans support the name. posted on June 4, 2014, at 5:25 p.m.

A recent study by the California State University, San Bernadino reports 67% of Native Americans find the Washington Redskins name and imagery racist.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,186,858 times
bg7 -- The NY Post is a conservative paper. The Daily News is not. Although they are not as liberal as the NY Times -- a paper best used for putting on the floor of people's pet bird cages!

I was not aware that the Daily News endorsed Romney. So I looked it up. Kudo's to you for pointing that out. But the same article about the Romney endorsement also mentioned that they are a democrat-leaning paper. Which makes them liberal.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:02 AM

87 posts, read 104,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB56 View Post
Yeah, it's not even close to that but go ahead and keep telling yourself it is.

Do you really think the team decided to name themselves a racist name on day one? That's beyond stupid. And if something "became racist", well that's on you.

Should I **** and moan that Notre Dame uses a leprechaun as its mascot because I have Irish heritage? No. And do you know why? Because I'm not a whiny liberal.

The faux outrage on this issue is what is really disgusting. But of course leave it to liberals to not recognize Americans as a whole and instead divide and conquer with labels such as African-American, LGBT American, etc. You're not a human being to them, you're part of a group to exploit in November. Conservatives do this too, but the Progs have it perfected.
Have white men of Irish decent had their land taken from them by foreigners or been killed off by disease brought by said foreigners in the United States like Native Americans? NO Have white men been lynched like black men were in the south, brutalized by police like black Americans have been? NO Were they placed in camps in WW2 like Japanese were? NO. You may be of Irish decent but you are still WHITE. That is why you don't see a racist name like "Redskin" as offensive. I would be offended if I native American.

Take the Kansas City Chiefs, who also have a Native American as a mascot. Now compare that to "Redskin". The thing is- until racism is eradicated, there will always be RACES instead of human being.

nincompoop

Old 09-04-2014, 11:13 AM

21 posts, read 30,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayBed-Stuy View Post
Have white men of Irish decent had their land taken from them by foreigners or been killed off by disease brought by said foreigners in the United States like Native Americans? NO Have white men been lynched like black men were in the south, brutalized by police like black Americans have been? NO Were they placed in camps in WW2 like Japanese were? NO. You may be of Irish decent but you are still WHITE. That is why you don't see a racist name like "Redskin" as offensive. I would be offended if I native American.

Take the Kansas City Chiefs, who also have a Native American as a mascot. Now compare that to "Redskin". The thing is- until racism is eradicated, there will always be RACES instead of human being.

nincompoop

I read your first sentence and stopped because you CLEARLY have no idea what the English, among many others, have done to the Irish people. None. You sound very ignorant. It was called genocide genius and it goes back THOUSANDS of years.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:17 AM

87 posts, read 104,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB56 View Post
I read your first sentence and stopped because you CLEARLY have no idea what the English, among many others, have done to the Irish people. None. You sound very ignorant. It was called genocide genius and it goes back THOUSANDS of years.
Did you not see the part when I said UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?! I know quite well what happened in England between the British and Irish. But this is the US I am talking about.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:22 AM

21 posts, read 30,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayBed-Stuy View Post
Did you not see the part when I said UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?! I know quite well what happened in England between the British and Irish. But this is the US I am talking about.
WTF difference does it make? It's the exact same scenario.

You're pretty young aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: