Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Where is the apartment located? Do you know what the asking rent will be when back on market? Does it get good natural lighting?

Joey, you forgot the biggie: "Is it rent stabilized?"

<Remember the Seinfeld episode where the guy with the nice stabilized apartment died and all the mourners were interested in only one thing...How do they get the apartment.>

The last apartment I left was very nice and an acquaintance always liked it so he took it after we left. Six months later in mid-Summer he EXPLODED...so yes, it happens.
Long ago, another died and they routinely used disinfectant. Nobody noticed any smell UNTIL they sprayed place and then the smell of the disinfectant. It was intolerably nauseating for a week. Go figger.

Now I can walk along the street, smell that disinfectant, and tell immediately if someone had bought the big one in a building I am passing.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-25-2014 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 08:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Speaking practically, though. How does a single person try to minimize the chances of being left to rot? A yechhy thought.

But you do have to be careful. A friend #1 of a certain age was going to meet Her much younger friend #2 and they missed one another. (#1 is NEVER where she is supposed to be when she is supposed to be there.) So friend #2 called the police and they arrives with firemen and busted down #1's door. Of course #1 was out looking for #2.
Each thought the other was at fault and they have not spoken since. I think the final straw was when #2 said "Well, you never know with the elderly" (#1 would never admit to being "elderly."

#1 ate the cost of the door repair...grudgingly.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:55 AM

300 posts, read 374,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Joey, you forgot the biggie: "Is it rent stabilized?"

<Remember the Seinfeld episode where the guy with the nice stabilized apartment died and all the mourners were interested in only one thing...How do they get the apartment.>

The last apartment I left was very nice and an acquaintance always liked it so he took it after we left. Six months later in mid-Summer he EXPLODED...so yes, it happens.
Long ago, another died and they routinely used disinfectant. Nobody noticed any smell UNTIL they sprayed place and then the smell of the disinfectant. It was intolerably nauseating for a week. Go figger.

Now I can walk along the street, smell that disinfectant, and tell immediately if someone had bought the big one in a building I am passing.
Good question. I really don't know to be honest. As far as I know all of the apartments are market rate. He was the only elderly person in the building, as most people are fairly young.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,262 times
I live in an apartment building where a guy chopped up his roommate after a fight and tried to dissolve the body in bleach. Now someone else lives in that apartment you just never know with these older buildings.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:17 PM

300 posts, read 374,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leluu View Post
I live in an apartment building where a guy chopped up his roommate after a fight and tried to dissolve the body in bleach. Now someone else lives in that apartment you just never know with these older buildings.
Disgusting... Was that in the Bronx by chance? I wonder if the current tenant knows...

Old 09-29-2014, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
Disgusting... Was that in the Bronx by chance? I wonder if the current tenant knows...
South Brooklyn

Old 09-29-2014, 03:48 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
There's actually a very profitable industry of crews that clean up after bodies to get rid of fluid stains, odors, etc...

Old 09-29-2014, 06:39 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*LOL*

Too funny. Reminds one of how years ago persons looking for apartments in NYC (in particular Manhattan) would scan obituary notices to learn when apartments were becoming vacant. This went on right through the 1980's IIRC. That or persons cultivated relationships with supers/building care takers to find out when there was a death in a building to get a leg up on an apartment.
I remember a shooting in Washington Heights, probably also in the 80s. When the news interviewed the dead guy's landlord on live TV the day he was shot, he mentioned that he'd already had three people inquire into the availability of the deceased guy's apartment.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 PM

575 posts, read 672,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
One of our neighbors (elderly man) was discovered dead in his apartment yesterday and had been dead for almost two weeks. There was a sign from the NYPD with a padlock on the door. I spoke with a neighbor who said that the super tried to get in but couldn't and that the authorities had to break down the door and when they did, they discovered him dead and covered by flies. The building is being ventilated to get rid of the pungent stench, but the question is what responsibility does the management have to ensure that no other residents are become ill from this situation? I imagine that an autopsy has to be done first to determine the cause of death, and once they NYPD clears the apartment, management can go in take it from there and clean the apartment, etc. What are they required to do to make the apartment and the other residents safe? are they required to do a gut job?
There are companies that specialize in this kind of cleanup. They are often recommended, off the record, by police to relatives. Here is one such company: islandtrauma.com/ It is obviously specialized and nasty and necessary work.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Are there any reported cases of tenants getting sick because there was a decaying corpse in the building for a period of time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: