Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 PM

749 posts, read 920,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Italians are very family orientated and also tend to prefer living with or around others of their own kind. Nothing bad about this but it explains why you find so many Italian-American families historically in places like South Brooklyn, "Italian Harlem", Staten Island (even before the Bridge was built) etc....

Rising housing prices on SI have caused many younger generation Italian-Americans to move off the Rock. First to NJ but now PA, NC and even Florida. However everyone tends to come "home" for the holidays as witnessed by the heavy traffic on the NJ bridges on for Christmas Eve (a *VERY* big Italian American holiday). At some point often the older generation to be near their children or grandchildren follow, especially the widows.

When the film "Moonstruck" came out a group of friends from the Rock (some of who were Italian Americans) all went to see. Everyone kept saying "that's Aunt "X" or "that is uncle "Y"" because characters reminded them of their own New York Italian American families. For myself I saw it in an instant. How all the action takes place in the kitchen even though the Castorni's had that large house. How the family settled their business "indoors" etc...

A lot of what killed the image of Italian Americans on the Rock was the idolization on both television and film of "Godfathers' and the "mob". Suddenly everyone wanted to be (or thought they were) not only Italian but made men. Mind you most weren't anything of the sort and wouldn't know a MM if he pissed on them because they were fire. But still

Move to Staten Island if you wish to seek out Italian Americans, but don't do so with blinders on because you'll soon have your eyes opened for you my friend.

As with any other ethnic groups IAs come in all flavours and you'll find them on the Rock. Some are liberal, others conservative. You have social liberals who take persons (gay, straight, black, white, etc.... ) as they find them, others every other word is "moulinyans" this or "dirty" Latinos/Hispanics, gays this and so forth. They talk about the North Shore as if it were one large sewer of crime and degenerates but yet when the same crimes (drugs, guns, etc.... ) happen on the South Shore all you get are crickets chirping.

Read up on local Island goings on here: Staten Island NY Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - SILive.com

Especially read the comments on various article, again you will have your eyes opened for you my friend. Those are your future neighbors and friends.
Well, let's be realistic: Most of the crime on S/I, that you read off in the newspapers happens in the North Shore.......the crime in the South Shore is very little....there are people from the North Shore coming to the South Shore to sell drugs to the kids here......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 01:45 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
Bugsy Pal:

I take offense to your interpretation that the above skits are representative of all the people living in the South Shore of Staten Island.

The Sopranos is representative of low-class, uneducated people, so are the people that watched it, and made it a hit. The South Shore has myriad of educated people, many of them attorneys, physicians, and engineers. Too bad that we do not have many Staten Islanders on C/D that can corroborate the innuendos of people here that know very little about S/I....
I didn't bother reaponding to those videos because I didn't want to lend credence to the message they send, but I agree with you fully.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 AM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
Quote:
Well, let's be realistic: Most of the crime on S/I, that you read off in the naewspapers happens in the North Shore.......the crime in the South Shore is very little....there are people from the North Shore coming to the South Shore to sell drugs to the kids here......
Obviously. The middle-upper class Italian kids in the South Shore (who usually think they're hardcore tough guys, but nonetheless) wouldn't know the first thing about procuring hard drugs. It's the poorer kids from the North Shore who have the access, and are more desperate (socioeconomically) to obtain funds by any means necessary. They take the bus/train/car ride down across the border (Expressway) and sell them to the kids here, whose unsuspecting parents all drive foreign luxury cars.

The biggest illegal racket here in the South Shore is kids buying and selling Nike sneakers to each-other without paying taxes, lol. We have the lowest crime in the city.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:36 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Obviously. The middle-upper class Italian kids in the South Shore (who usually think they're hardcore tough guys, but nonetheless) wouldn't know the first thing about procuring hard drugs. It's the poorer kids from the North Shore who have the access, and are more desperate (socioeconomically) to obtain funds by any means necessary. They take the bus/train/car ride down across the border (Expressway) and sell them to the kids here, whose unsuspecting parents all drive foreign luxury cars.

The biggest illegal racket here in the South Shore is kids buying and selling Nike sneakers to each-other without paying taxes, lol. We have the lowest crime in the city.
You are joking right?

Yes, parts of the SS have very low crime rates but that is not saying the place is some sort of make believe fairy land.

Also the idea that white/Italian-American kids and or anyone else is getting drugs exclusively from the "blacks" or just the North Shore is also laughable. Within the past few weeks there have been two or more arrests of persons selling scripts and or actual oxycodone (among other things) including a RN and this physician's assistant: http://www.justice.gov/usao/nys/pres...talArrests.php

Kid and adults from Todt Hill, South Shore etc... don't have to go to the NS to get their stuff. Just as back in the day there are local places and persons more than happy to supply.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 09-16-2014 at 04:49 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Well, let's be realistic: Most of the crime on S/I, that you read off in the newspapers happens in the North Shore.......the crime in the South Shore is very little....there are people from the North Shore coming to the South Shore to sell drugs to the kids here......
Since when is Woodrow Rd on the NS?
Hospital pharmacy director was no "drug kingpin," defense attorney says | SILive.com

Old 09-16-2014, 05:05 AM

1) I didn't say they go to NS to get their drugs. I said kids from the NS deliver to the SS.

2) I didn't say it was black kids that funnel the drugs to the SS kids, just poorer kids from the NS in general.

3) Todt Hill and the South Shore are apples and oranges. Yeah, Todt Hill is mad money, but it's also a lot closer to the NS than say, Annadale is.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Bugsy Pal:

I take offense to your interpretation that the above skits are representative of all the people living in the South Shore of Staten Island.

The Sopranos is representative of low-class, uneducated people, so are the people that watched it, and made it a hit. The South Shore has myriad of educated people, many of them attorneys, physicians, and engineers. Too bad that we do not have many Staten Islanders on C/D that can corroborate the innuendos of people here that know very little about S/I....
Was born and raised on SI not to mention home every other week or so, therefore please do not tell me who lives where.

No one ever said the majority of SS residents resemble those from the two videos but there are more, much more than enough in the mix. Everyone likes to point the finger and complain about negative Italian-American stereotypes but apples don't often fall far from their trees.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:08 AM

588 posts, read 947,559 times
true ^

Old 09-21-2014, 07:30 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Gabriel: Staten Island has a diversity now of many nationalities, including lots of Hispanics, which by the way have been born in NYC, (the Puerto Ricans, which many are married to the Irish and Italians.) We have myriad of Mexicans working very diligently in the construction/landscaping business, and no one bothers them. You must be proud of who you are....

There is ONLY one group that it is not so much welcomed, and that it is not because of their color, but mostly because of their BEHAVIOR and CRIME propensity.
Whom exactly are you referring to?

Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Whom exactly are you referring to?
As the Italians would call them, "eggplants", obviously.

There aren't any in my neighborhood. Not because they can't afford the rent, but because I don't think they would feel comfortable here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: