Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 PM

56 posts, read 75,299 times

Advertisements

Hey there folks,

So when I get older (I'm about 16 now) I plan on moving to SI, New York. I myself want to do this for a number of reasons. To start off, our whole family originally started off as an All-Italian enclave primarily in Brooklyn, NY. However, later on in life some of our family then decided to move out towards other parts of the country and has since started to mix in abit with Hispanics. (Which is why I'm have Spanish as well)
For me, I'd like to live in Staten Island for a few reasons which I'll try to list as concisely as possible.

For one, I still have a little bit of family leftover near the area, and it would be nice to get to experience what NYC is like since by parents moved me out of the area when I was only around 3 or so years old. (I was then raised in WV afterwards. It wasn't too exciting lol) Secondly, I'd like to be a game designer/computer science major when I get older. From what research I did, I found that if I wanted to stay close to whatever family & friends I have left near the area, then the east coast would be a LOT more comfortable then the west coast. (Game design/Computer Sci jobs tend to be either only near the eastern or western areas in the US.) Furthermore, I myself have grown up as an only child and have really valued family quite a lot for the life I was brought into. It was rough growing up by myself and not having siblings to play with. So in turn, I think it would be a bit comforting to come to an area where I have some family and a bit of mutual history with the are as well. However, I think I'd probably end up having to be good friends with the neighbors which honestly sounds pretty interesting! (Or at least that's what I'd hope .)

As for Staten Island, my plan is to rent an apartment/house over there when I get older and then start saving up some money to buy a house in the area around my mid 30s. Now, what I'd like some folks from the area to answer is this if they can. I have heard that the only problem around the area is people saying things like that the neighborhoods changing, that there's less Italians now, or it's just not the same. A lot of what seems to me like typical nostalgic statements. But from what I read, the fact how Staten Island has a whopping 175,000 Italians living in the area, (which is also the most Italian county in the United States) is pretty groundbreaking for even today's world.

In the end, I just don't want to be by myself when I get older (unless I get married) or be misled into searching for something that's not there anymore. If someone from the area could really elaborate what I'd be experiencing these days, I'd really appreciate it!

P.S.: Really hoping the people are neighborly! xD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 11:08 PM

anyone?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:12 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
You have a long life to live...so don't put too much thought into it now, because things are always changing.

But if you intend on being surrounded and in an enclave of Italian Americans, live in the South Shore.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
You have a long life to live...so don't put too much thought into it now, because things are always changing.

But if you intend on being surrounded and in an enclave of Italian Americans, live in the South Shore.
I'm sort of more interested in what the attitude of the people are like in the area. If they could be elaborated by some of the locals, that would be fantastic! haha.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:49 AM

929 posts, read 1,658,893 times
My story is similar to yours. Born in Brooklyn, mostly Italian, lived in an Italian neighborhood, Italian neighborhood changed. Moved to another neighborhood. It changed. Parents moved the family out of Brooklyn.

After living in Jersey for a while, I live in Staten Island. My area is almost entirely white and mostly Italian.

The only way to live in a more Italian area is to live in Italy.

It sounds like that's your goal, and you'll probably be satisfied with the South Shore of SI if that's the case.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
You are definitely right about gaming jobs---East/West Coast, located in expensive cities.

Husband and I are quite the opposite though---we have no interest to live near Italians. We're both part but he won't even acknowledge that half of him. ;-)

Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel D'Angelo View Post
I'm sort of more interested in what the attitude of the people are like in the area. If they could be elaborated by some of the locals, that would be fantastic! haha.
I'd just like to point out that, while there are some Staten Islanders with recent Italian ancestry, most of them just happen to have grandparents or great-grandparents that came from Italy, so it's not like you're going to be hearing Italian spoken in the streets or anything like that.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:32 AM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times
Do you want to live in a tribal cocoon all your life? Don't be so provincial; life is short -- expand your horizons.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:16 PM

749 posts, read 920,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You are definitely right about gaming jobs---East/West Coast, located in expensive cities.

Husband and I are quite the opposite though---we have no interest to live near Italians. We're both part but he won't even acknowledge that half of him. ;-)

Too bad for you, dear. Italians keep their homes beautiful, by updating them often.......lots of Salumerias everywhere........good food, pleasant neighbors......what more can one want?

Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 PM

749 posts, read 920,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel D'Angelo View Post

I am not Italian, but love living among them. They are very family oriented, are helpful to others, love their homes and keep them very clean, and pretty. They have excellent attitudes toward good people, and are very friendly.......

To be very frank with you..........I will not live anywhere else, but among Italians......and I have travel most of the 50 states and abroad.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: