Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 03:19 PM

338 posts, read 676,882 times

Advertisements

Can't believe no one has posted this yet:

Two Brooklyn women tired of 'white people moving into the area' force tenants out at gunpoint, then squat in apartment: police - NY Daily News

Hilltopjay's worst nightmare! (And to be fair, mine--I had a horrible experience with a squatter in our apartment a few years back.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 03:32 PM

Boy, you certainly have my number! In the future I'll be sure to run all my posts past you for your approval

Not sure how squatting--essentially trying to steal an apartment--is an "easy target." They were caught and arrested immediately. And if you're not interested in gentrification issues, that's fine but it's certainly topical for many of the rest of us.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:33 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Honestly I'm surprised stuff like this didn't make the news much sooner.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:40 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Hope they are happy with the diversity of their cell block.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:42 PM

Er, they openly said in the article exactly why they chose them. They didn't like white people moving into the neighborhood. Also the article says the tenants left (as in, got away from crazy squatters) but not that they moved.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Something about this story doesn't quite make sense. The gunpoint robbery was on Thursday, yet the squatters (who apparently moved in just after robbing the tenants) didn't get arrested til Saturday at the address where the squatters were staying? Where were the police from Thursday to Sunday?

That said, I did like the story and I thought about posting it. It combines so many of the favorite issues on C-D, it's hard to resist. Gentrification, ghetto behavior, crime, white people pioneers in Brooklyn, hate crimes that aren't classified as hate crimes because it's black vs white instead of white vs black, real estate...

Old 09-08-2014, 04:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Insane, outrageous, and I doubt it is the last story we will hear.

It is very difficult to prove that someone has no legal right to be somewhere - apropos of the question, why so much time passed.

I would guess that the perpetrators are investigating their options, illegal lock-out and all.

There was an unbelievable story about squatters on lower Morningside (I think ?), last ten years. In the end, the owners had to buy them out. And they had only squatted because they heard that a couple had bought the building. The squatters sproceeded to move in, and then reported unsafe conditions to HPD. And so on.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Insane, outrageous, and I doubt it is the last story we will hear.

It is very difficult to prove that someone has no right to be somewhere legally - apropos of the question, why so much time passed.
So if I have a home invasion at gunpoint and the robbers force their way into my apartment with their gun, at the same time pushing me out in the hallway and locking the door, and I call the police it will take 2 days or so for them to arrest the criminals? Due to the possibility the people brandishing a gun and making death threats might have a legal right to the apartment they invaded with a loaded weapon?

That sounds reasonable

Old 09-08-2014, 04:50 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
At least they'll still get to live rent free.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:51 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
So if I have a home invasion at gunpoint and the robbers force their way into my apartment with their gun, at the same time pushing me out in the hallway and locking the door, and I call the police it will take 2 days or so for them to arrest the criminals? Due to the possibility the people brandishing a gun and making death threats might have a legal right to the apartment they invaded with a loaded weapon?

That sounds reasonable
Oh, I assure you that many things regarding tenants, or even "tenants," are thoroughly UNreasonable.
People are desperate and I could see things picking up in that realm.

I am generally sympathetic to tenants but I have seen some unbelievable things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City