Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 AM

111 posts, read 234,577 times

Advertisements

I live in Brooklyn Heights and work in the Wall Street area. The neighborhood is great, and I have a shorter commute to work than a lot of my colleagues who live in Manhattan. You should check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 04:21 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,735,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Well, I live there now, and I think I would know..
I never worked that far east. I don't really consider east of Lex, "midtown". Yes it is "midtown" but when I think "midtown" I think work, not home.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 AM

12 posts, read 105,974 times
Do you guys know something about Waterside Plaza at Midtown east? Is it a good place/neighborhood to live (walking, close to subway/groceries/theater/restaurants/museum/mall, safe)?

Best Regards,
LosAngeles

Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,935,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
Do you guys know something about Waterside Plaza at Midtown east? Is it a good place/neighborhood to live (walking, close to subway/groceries/theater/restaurants/museum/mall, safe)?

Best Regards,
LosAngeles
it is very isolated, the river on one side and a highway on the other, it is a good ten minute walk to anything. safety shouldn't be an issue

Old 01-02-2008, 03:29 PM

27 posts, read 98,219 times
If you are working on Wall Street, I would suggest Tribeca and the northern part of the Financial District.
The financial district has improved greatly in the past couple of years and isn't as bleak as it used to be.
I'm not sure how recently the previous posters have actually been down there and looked around. There are tons of gorgeous buildings with crazy amenities. There is a lack of grocery stores, but the new bldgs will have a doorman to accept your delivery from Fresh Direct anyway!
I'm not sure what you'll be doing on Wall Street, but my investment banking friends all live down there and love it, they don't have much free time so Fresh Direct helps.
There are loads of different subway lines to choose from down there and the parks are amazing! Plus, if you luck out, you could get a bldg with sunset views out over the harbor and the Statue of Liberty--very New York City!

I personally don't think many people move to NYC to get familiar with the city and then move to the boroughs. Most likely, you'll fall in love and be spoiled with living in the city and not want to move to NJ!

For me, when I moved here, I lived in Jersey City first and then later moved to Manhattan. Jersey City is great (but not the Heights) and a quick commute to Wall Street by path or ferry.

Good Luck!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 PM

Fresh Direct is over rated and over inflated (though it has great produce). But dealing with the boxes... feh....

Trader Joe's is the bomb!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:08 PM

27 posts, read 98,219 times
I mainly shop at Trader Joe's also, but that's b/c it's within walking distance for me.
If you are working on Wall Street and living anywhere other than walkable distance to Union Square, most ppl are not going to want to stand in long lines and then get a cab to haul their groceries home.
I also think Fresh Direct is more experience...but if you are working long hours...it's worth the extra cost for the convenience.
I mainly mentioned it b/c many ppl moving to NYC do not know this is an option.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:47 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
I make 43,300 and I live alone in Queens and I'm doing fine. I live in a one bedroom apartment in Astoria for $750 and still manage to save a lot. I guess if you really don't go out much at all or have a partner who pays for when you go out (in my case), then you can manage to save a decent amount.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:56 PM

33,370 posts, read 46,784,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I make 43,300 and I live alone in Queens and I'm doing fine. I live in a one bedroom apartment in Astoria for $750 and still manage to save a lot. I guess if you really don't go out much at all or have a partner who pays for when you go out (in my case), then you can manage to save a decent amount.
lucky girl!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
How on earth did you get an apartment for $750? Maybe a SHARE for $750, but not an apartment on your own. Unless of course you have had it for awhile, and your rent has increased that much.

new york craigslist > queens > housing: search for "astoria"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City