Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 07:52 AM

66 posts, read 93,445 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of renting a fully furnished apartment in Matthews Ave, Bronx. 2400 per month includes everything.
I am wondering if this area is safe? I have four young children.
How bad is it to commute from here to Upper East Manhattan?
Is there YMCA around where kids can play soccer etc?
is this area diverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 08:55 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
this is probably below pelham pkwy. Morris pk/Van Nest area. area is relatively safe diverse, 5 train at the Morris pk/esplanade stop goes to 125th, 86th streets on e side i think there is a y at Castle Hill Avenue down near the water

Old 09-13-2014, 03:21 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondtree2010 View Post
I am thinking of renting a fully furnished apartment in Matthews Ave, Bronx. 2400 per month includes everything.
is this area diverse?
Matthews goes through a few different neighborhoods so it sort of depends exactly where on Matthews you are talking about. None of it is really that bad but it does vary,especially in terms of safety and commute.
The best part is the few blocks directly South of Pelham Parkway.

The 5 train runs express during rush hours so if you are near a 5 train stop it would be a pretty easy commute to the UES.

$2,400/mo sounds like a pretty high rent for anywhere in The Bronx unless it is a really big apartment with 3 or 4 bedrooms and includes heat,elec,parking and everything.Generally,in the Pelham Parkway/Morris Park sections of Matthews,rents should be well under $2,000 even for a 3 br. A 2 br should only be about $1,600 $1,700, a 1 br about 1,400 or 1,500.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:33 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Matthews goes through a few different neighborhoods so it sort of depends exactly where on Matthews you are talking about. None of it is really that bad but it does vary,especially in terms of safety and commute.

The 5 train runs express during rush hours so if you are near a 5 train stop it would be a pretty easy commute to the UES.

$2,400/mo sounds like a pretty high rent for anywhere in The Bronx unless it is a really big apartment with 3 or 4 bedrooms and includes heat,elec,parking and everything.Generally,in the Pelham Parkway/Morris Park sections of Matthews,rents should be well under $2,000 even for a 3 br. A 2 br should only be about $1,600 $1,700, a 1 br about 1,400 or 1,500.
I remember seeing a 3br in Indian Village for $1800.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:24 PM

173 posts, read 220,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondtree2010 View Post
is this area diverse?
Nice area and still safe move out of Morris Park area in 06 and miss it very much

Old 09-14-2014, 07:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
If it's 10462, it should be south of Pelham Parkway, so it likely is walking distance to the 5 at Morris Park. If it's all the way down by Morris Park Avenue, the OP might want to take a quick ride on the Bx21 bus to East 180th Street to catch the 5 over there (during rush hour, it also gives them the option of the 5 trains that run up White Plains Road).

Old 09-14-2014, 08:31 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,912,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
If it's 10462, it should be south of Pelham Parkway, so it likely is walking distance to the 5 at Morris Park. If it's all the way down by Morris Park Avenue, the OP might want to take a quick ride on the Bx21 bus to East 180th Street to catch the 5 over there (during rush hour, it also gives them the option of the 5 trains that run up White Plains Road).
It also goes through a small stretch in Van Nest, and a block or 2 in Morris Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City