Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:33 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,708,397 times

Advertisements

...and i freak out at the thought of my little baby mice that occasionally come out and get caught in the gluetraps...!!! thank God this does not happen at night while Im sleeping!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,333,670 times
And this is why I'm greatfull for my "little" 15 pound Maine Coon kitty.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 AM

155 posts, read 259,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you have rats in your apartment trust me you'll know it! *LOL*

Moi? I'd be out of there in a NYC second but sadly others have no choice. You'd be surprised at how many New Yorkers pay rent to live in rat trap buildings (literally). They dread the arrival of dusk through dawn just as those mythical villagers/town residents that have vampire problems. *LOL*
Well.. Truth is, I have had an encounter with one rat in a previous apartment I used to live in when I was a bit younger. Was the size of my hand but the poor thing walked into my meticulous (yeah right) trap and passed away.. I'm fine dealing with rats to a certain degree but I'm wondering what type of rats we're talking about.. The article mentioned "subway" so I immediately thought about the mutants.

If that's the case.. Take me with you on a ride in that NY second

Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,738,706 times
Any time you move into a new apartment, #1 RULE before you ever bring a single item in is to caulk every baseboard & door trim and seal every pipe that comes into the unit. This is to prevent infestations of roaches & mice and if there's any rat sized hole they will be obvious. Once you have your furniture everywhere it's much harder to do

Old 09-15-2014, 12:19 PM

250 posts, read 269,593 times
Rats can chew through anything. The source of the infestation is from the abandoned subway station which is below the building. There is little the tenants can do about it other than to pressure their negligent owner to gut the entire premises. Maybe sue Wavecrest Management if nothing is being done about it. Caulk and rat poison will do little to sway the rats. Rats are a big problem in the city and it seems like there is very little being about it.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:24 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,708,397 times
id love a feisty female Labrador to hang out in the kitchen area. i wonder if dogs are as good at keeping mice away as cats are

Old 09-15-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
Rats can chew through anything.
False - they can't chew through metal, hardwood, or cement/concrete. And you'd have to find a pretty damned determined rat to chew through a flat piece of drywall

Old 09-15-2014, 12:37 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
False - they can't chew through metal, hardwood, or cement/concrete. And you'd have to find a pretty damned determined rat to chew through a flat piece of drywall

Rats can chew through four inch thick concrete. Rat Patrol -- How Much Do You Know About Rats

Monster 15-inch rat terrorises Swedish family after chewing through CONCRETE wall | Mail Online

Old 09-15-2014, 12:42 PM

lol, heeeeeeeeeeeere kitty kitty!!!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:47 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Rats are one set of determined ** as Samuel Jackson would say! *LOL*

If they *know* there is food on the other side of something they will try and try again to gain access. Remember they need not make a huge hole, one about the size of quarter will do. All that is needed is a gap large enough to get their heads through, a rat will then pull the rest of it's body along. As they go back and forth further "improvements" will be made to enlarge the hole for future use.

Old school building supers would mix crushed glass with steel wool, concrete, plaster or whatever else they were trying to plug up rat holes. This was an attempt to cause enough suffering that the thing will either die or give up and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City