Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,895,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is a topic where the simplification of politics has been used masterfully to polarize a subject which should be cut and dry.

As a staunch conservative on most matters, my personal belief is that corporations enjoy far too many protections under our laws; protections which should only be reserved for actual people. The safe conduct of business within (and even without) our borders is secured by the might and honor of the US military, which is mostly made up of lower-class young men who'd give anything to enjoy a few years of lives of those safely ensconced under the corporate protections afforded to them through amorphous companies created solely to protect monetary greed.
Now that is something can protest for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 05:38 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,895,856 times
Quote:
Your statements regarding the 2nd Amendment aren't far off from mine either.
What statements? You mean in another thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:40 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,251,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Love the obtuse way you say they "provide" gasoline, as if it's something they're doing out of the kindness of their hearts, from a sense of public duty.

Yeah, I'd certainly be happy if some top executives at all kinds of companies were charged with some of their wrong-doings.
Another anti-capitalist kook.

Proctor and Gamble provides detergent, Ford provides cars, Apple provides computers, and GE provides light bulbs because there is demand for the product, and they make money. They also do not do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Basic Economics 101. The capitalist system incentivizes people to provide a product that the masses want, with the intent of making as large a profit as possible. Get it?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:23 PM

147 posts, read 314,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Another anti-capitalist kook.

Proctor and Gamble provides detergent, Ford provides cars, Apple provides computers, and GE provides light bulbs because there is demand for the product, and they make money. They also do not do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Basic Economics 101. The capitalist system incentivizes people to provide a product that the masses want, with the intent of making as large a profit as possible. Get it?
The problem is not profit. There is nothing wrong with making money by providing a useful good/service. The problem occurs when there is a ridiculous gap between those who profit and those who don't. You can say the "market" gets to decide the wage or workers, price of goods, etc., but truth is, at this point in time, the average worker does not get paid anywhere near those are the top. Yes, those at the top incur the the most "risk" (even though they themselves do no take responsibility for what the corporation does), but at what point is it just far too unbalanced?

Something they don't teach you in Econ 101: A capitalist economy only functions properly when as many people can participate in the market as possible (hence creating a market by definition). Wall Street is just one glaring example of how most people are now excluded from, quite literally, the market of money.

I end on a note from a TED talk from someone in the 1% himself:
Nick Hanauer: Beware, fellow plutocrats, the pitchforks are coming | Talk Video | TED.com

Old 09-21-2014, 09:36 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,830,312 times
I think one of the biggest ironies of Occupy Wall Street is that the OWS crowd did and continues to use the public vestibule down at 60 Wall Street as their staging ground. They use the free bathrooms there open to the public. Sit there all day when it's cold / raining. Even ask the Wall Street employees for money. And the owners of this plaza that they allow the public to use? Deutsche Bank, the very people they protest.

But I guess they only want to protest against the parts that don't benefit them

Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,830,312 times
I recycled too until the teethless Chinese ladies walking around with bamboo stick and trash bags on either side throw all of my trash they don't want all over the side walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I can't do that. I try to recycle as much as possible including all of my plastic containers from take out. I save them, wash them out let them dry and then put them in the recycling bag. New York City esp. creates so much garbage from take out and other things that it isn't even funny. They should really enforce recycling more. There was a show on cable I watched a few years ago that opened my eyes to how much waste we create and what problems we will have in the near future if we don't start recycling more. I always recycled but now I make a conscious effort to recycle everything possible instead of just the usual items.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:41 PM

85 posts, read 104,056 times
Occupy Wall Street and these current flood Wall Street idiots are the scum of the earth.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:43 PM

8,102 posts, read 6,735,977 times
Quote:
This is a topic where the simplification of politics has been used masterfully to polarize a subject which should be cut and dry.

As a staunch conservative on most matters, my personal belief is that corporations enjoy far too many protections under our laws; protections which should only be reserved for actual people. The safe conduct of business within (and even without) our borders is secured by the might and honor of the US military, which is mostly made up of lower-class young men who'd give anything to enjoy a few years of lives of those safely ensconced under the corporate protections afforded to them through amorphous companies created solely to protect monetary greed.
EXCELLENT POST, airborne!!!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:47 PM

19,001 posts, read 13,900,989 times
Thank you.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:45 PM

314 posts, read 546,397 times
Pretty good turnout. Apparently I was on CNN for 20 seconds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City