Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 02:51 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,709 times

Advertisements

It's no doubt Bushwick and Bed Stuy are neighborhoods in transition. But it's no where near that of Glendale or Ridgewood which were never bad neighborhoods. I said it before as a native, the B in Brooklyn & Bronx is for BAD. Without a doubt these 2 boroughs has some of the worst neighborhoods in the entire city. Sure, not as bad as areas in Gary, Indiana or East St Louis, Illinois. That's another story.

There was a time, when I knew this yellow-bone specimen and she lived in Bushwick Ave years back, she invited me over one night and I flatout rejected! I recall seeing fiends doing crack around those abandoned houses in Bushwick Ave and the mass loitering,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Sorry that I choose not to live in the ghetto. The only section that is 50% white is where the Hasidics are. And I did consult with CD before I bought my crib (thanks Anon1). I can financially afford to live in Bed-Stuy, but its not worth it to me. I'm just not that interested in having a dark brown colored rowhouse. There is much more to a nabe than architecture. Not sure why that makes me bitter. Do you really think that Bed-Stuy isn't a top 5 nabe in this city in regards to crime?
That's not up for debate. Last I checked, Bed-Stuy was a top 3 nabe in the city in terms of crime.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So then why are you constantly obsessing with it, and constantly posting false claims about it?

You don't have the money of the whites moving into Bedstuy and you are just plain jealous/

Posters who live in Bedstuy and others have repeatedly posted about the parts of Bedstuy that are 50% white NON HASIDIC, yet you go into denial about this for some bizarre reason. And if it was just you believe what you wanted too, I would say nothing, but you take it way too far and attempt to do a smear campaign on a neighborhood just because you can't afford to live there.

And no, I do not think Bedstuy is a top 5 neighborhood as far as crime goes.

NYC Crime Map

That lists neighborhoods in murder per capita.

Brownsville
Coney Island
Wakefield and Williamsbridge
Part of West Harlem
the Northern part of Spanish Harlem
and Ft. Greene

All have higher murder rates per capita than Bedstuy.

West Village has a higher murder rate per capita, but I don't think that's because of people who live in the West Village. Gay ghetto thugs from Newark and the outer boroughs hang out along Christopher Street. Which is why the neighborhood has been basically shutting down the gay bars and driving them out.

Mind you, Bedstuy is still worse than most of Queens and still worse than much of Manhattan (but keep in mind many Manhattan neighborhoods were much worse not too long ago).
Now what's the list in terms of overall crime rate?

Old 09-21-2014, 03:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Now what's the list in terms of overall crime rate?
"The least safe neighborhoods citywide are: Midtown, Greenwich Village and the Meatpacking District, Hunts Point, Brownsville, the Flatiron District and Fort Greene."

Midtown Crime rate is high because of tourists and of course thieves go to these areas.

Northern Manhattan Safer than Greenwich Village, Says New Crime Report - Manhattan - DNAinfo.com New York

Old 09-21-2014, 03:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'm much closer to Bushwick and Bed-Stuy anyway, so I have a greater interest in seeing those ghetto nabes gentrify before Elmhurst. Its what's best for the WiRi/Quooklyn area. Plus, immigrants aren't shooting up each other in the streets like they do in Brooklyn.

I've recently taken the kids to the playground built where the Elmhurst gas tanks once stood. It was pleasant. Didn't notice any of the QOL issues I see at the parks in Bed-Stuy and Bushwick. No homeless and no gun shots going off.
I was recently near the parks near Elmhurst Hospital. Broadway is crawling with homeless people.

It's already got bad quality of life issues, and now the city will be sending more homeless to Elmhurst and East Elmhurst (and since they got away with it there will be more purchases later down the road).

Slum clearance in Manhattan and Brooklyn means that they'll dump people in areas of least resistance. So if people in Glendale put up enough of a fight to save their neighborhood, good for them. We will see what happens to the site that may become a shelter or a school. You should post the outcome here, especially if it becomes a school.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
"The least safe neighborhoods citywide are: Midtown, Greenwich Village and the Meatpacking District, Hunts Point, Brownsville, the Flatiron District and Fort Greene."

Midtown Crime rate is high because of tourists and of course thieves go to these areas.

Northern Manhattan Safer than Greenwich Village, Says New Crime Report - Manhattan - DNAinfo.com New York
How many times do we have to go over transient population? The NYC map even has disclaimer on it in regards to Midtown. There are millions of people who pass through Midtown on a daily basis, and these people may become victims of crime. However, the vast majority of these people don't live in Midtown. Midtowns actual population is low. So when you use it to calculate crime rate, it comes out much worse.

I wonder why you used the NYC crime map for murder rate but not for overall crime. You want to know what neighborhoods have the highest overall crime rate?

1. 81st precinct (Bed-Stuy) 16.52 crimes per 100,000 residents.
2. 41st precinct (Hunts Point) 16.41 crimes per 100,000 residents. (This is with Rikers island stats included)
et ctec

So go here, and look for yourself.
NYC Crime Map

The highest crime neighborhood in NYC is Bed-Stuy.

Your dreaded Brownsville is at 14.22, lower than East Harlem 14.66.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:38 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,709 times
Damn, East New York is leading the crime map. It's stats is in the 300's!

Old 09-21-2014, 04:31 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
How many times do we have to go over transient population? The NYC map even has disclaimer on it in regards to Midtown. There are millions of people who pass through Midtown on a daily basis, and these people may become victims of crime. However, the vast majority of these people don't live in Midtown. Midtowns actual population is low. So when you use it to calculate crime rate, it comes out much worse.

I wonder why you used the NYC crime map for murder rate but not for overall crime. You want to know what neighborhoods have the highest overall crime rate?

1. 81st precinct (Bed-Stuy) 16.52 crimes per 100,000 residents.
2. 41st precinct (Hunts Point) 16.41 crimes per 100,000 residents. (This is with Rikers island stats included)
et ctec

So go here, and look for yourself.
NYC Crime Map

The highest crime neighborhood in NYC is Bed-Stuy.

Your dreaded Brownsville is at 14.22, lower than East Harlem 14.66.
Where the hell were you to back me up all this time? Good lookin on those stats kid. Most people on here that talk about Bed-Stuy is good this and that keep themselves confined in 2 bubbles - directly north of Boys n Girls High School going up on Stuyvesant Avenue (stopping at Halsey Street), or they stay around Nostrand/Franklin/Classon Avenues north of Fulton Street. I bet you they don't even go to any banks on Fulton Street to take out cash; they do it by their job before they go home. The rest of the Stuy sucks.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-21-2014, 04:54 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Slum clearance in Manhattan and Brooklyn means that they'll dump people in areas of least resistance. So if people in Glendale put up enough of a fight to save their neighborhood, good for them. We will see what happens to the site that may become a shelter or a school. You should post the outcome here, especially if it becomes a school.
Anti-homeless shelter group to sue the city

Legal action has already been taken. This area stays this way because the residents put up a fight. They kept the slums from spreading over from Brooklyn back in the day, and they are now fighting to keep the hipsters and homeless population to a minimum. Residents around here actually care about their nabe, not just about their real estate appreciation and following trends. It is one of the last places in this city that still resembles the good old days. Its better to keep it preserved than sell it for a profit.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:

It's already got bad quality of life issues, and now the city will be sending more homeless to Elmhurst and East Elmhurst (and since they got away with it there will be more purchases later down the road).
You seem to be overlooking the fact that the city is placing homeless shelters in Brooklyn too. The only reason this Carroll Gardens shelter hasn't been opened yet is because the building owner needs to correct building violations.

There is another 198 bed shelter in Brooklyn opening in East Flatbush.

I guess you have deluded yourself into thinking that Queens is the only borough that is or will be burdened with homeless shelters, or at least your agenda for this thread is to somehow make people think that.

The facts show that the city is placing homeless shelters in multiple boroughs. And currently, as I already stated, Queens has fewer homeless shelters than Brooklyn, Manhattan or the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City