Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:31 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I want the name of the politican who wrote this to be publicized everywhere....
How about having them hung as a traitor to the republic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 05:51 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Next time you pay for the zoo, just think that some illegal is there in the zoo free. SMH.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
If you are referring to my post, it is the actual Senate Bill. Anything you want, you find out what the bill is called ( in this case "America is home" ) and search the State Senate OR Assembly by legislation pending.

If you find it hard to believe a legislator tacked on to every sentence ' and citizen of New York' for rights of legal residents, then please shake your head and reread it.
I was not responding to you or thinking about you.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 AM

588 posts, read 947,428 times
Isn't this violating federal law (not that its enforced)? It will only encourage more illegals to come here.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:56 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
How about having them hung as a traitor to the republic?

If I was to post what I truly feel, I think I would be arrested!

Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
Isn't this violating federal law (not that its enforced)? It will only encourage more illegals to come here.

Violating Laws? Bloomberg declared NYC a safety city a few yrs back....

Old 09-19-2014, 09:51 AM

861 posts, read 852,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I don't have anything against different ethnic backgrounds, what I am against is street gangs, drug cartels, terrorists, and illegals who take our benefits for free while the rest of us have to go and work for it. I'm not some racist hick, I'm talking about radical Islam extremists, not a family of 4 from India.

Heck my next door neighbors are Mexicans, I talk to them all the time, they got kids, they go to work, they're friendly.

Consider me a racist if you wish but I'm against ethnic groups that are threat to our national security, I am not against people who are from different countries or skin color.

Don't confuse what I'm trying to say, I find it ironic that the American flag offends so many people but our benefits don't.
So am I against the groups you have defined. But you cant lump everyone into that bucket. Groups that are now fully assimilated in America like the Irish or the Italians were the bogeymen of yesteryear. I think posts like this stir up more hatred than anything else.

America is built on immigration, give it time and these guys will be no different from joe six pack with a white picket fence...

Old 09-19-2014, 03:13 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
Actually no because in the first place entering the United States illegally is not a crime, but a federal civil offense. You cannot be "arrested" tried in criminal court and sentenced for being in the USA illegally and the USA. You can be "detained" have a hearing and deported/ordered to leave American soil.

As we have just gone through with gay marriage the federal and state governments are two different spheres with the latter having their own sovereignty. States have wide and vast powers in deciding what or which services are available to this or that resident within their own borders. It is only under certain specific circumstances outlined in the USC that involve things such as interstate commerce, full faith and credit etc.. that federal laws come into play.

States are perfectly free IIRC to allow anyone they wish to vote in local elections, long as it does not violate certain federal laws regarding voting rights. Even there the latter is more about preventing discrimination, fraud, and other abuses of the electoral system which thus deprive persons of their constitutionally protected rights.

The problem today is that so many benefits of the federal government are intertwined and or rely upon actions from states. Again we saw this with *same sex marriage* but there are many other issues as well.

States and or local governments can issue any sort of ID, driver's license or whatever card they wish, however the federal government is perfectly within it's own rights in declaring what it will accept as valid. If you want to board an airplane, apply for a passport, employment, open a bank account, etc... all these have federal restrictions upon what sort of ID and proof of US citizenship will be accepted.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:36 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
No way, that's why I posted this thread! I just not to familiar with the legislative process. I assumed being in the rules meants it was languishing but the end result sounds good to me as long as it doesn't get passed. I want the name of the politican who wrote this to be publicized everywhere....

I hopr yher mods allow this. It is the first 1/2 of the 1st page. Bill is S. 7879 A is 10129
Senatore is RIVERA ( Gustavo Rivera's Contact Information | New York State Senate )
__________________________________________________ ______________________
S. 7879 A. 10129
S E N A T E - A S S E M B L Y
June 16, 2014

A. Camara) -- read once and referred to the Committee on Governmental
Operations
AN ACT to amend the executive law, the election law, the public officers
law, the tax law, the general obligations law, the education law, the
alcoholic beverage control law, the general city law, chapter 882 of
the laws of 1953, establishing a compact with the state of New Jersey
for the elimination of criminal and corrupt practices in the handling
of waterborne freight within the port of New York district, the public
health law, the general business law, the real property law, the judiciary
law, the vehicle and traffic law, the social services law and
the correction law, in relation to enacting the "New York is home act"
to establish New York state citizenship, regardless of federal immigration
status, and requiring the provision of certain rights of such
citizenship
;
to repeal subdivision 1 of section 502 of the vehicle and
traffic law relating to applications for drivers' licenses; to repeal
section 131-k of the social services law relating to illegal aliens;
and to repeal subdivision 3 of section 661 of the education law relating
to residency for eligibility for student financial aid
THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEMBLY,
DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
1 Section 1. Short title.This act shall be known and may be cited as
2 the "New York is home act"

----------------------------

Please go read the entire thing. 33 page / .pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City