Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:51 PM

91 posts, read 119,791 times

Advertisements

Please keep in mind that Chicago and DC are also expensive places to live. Chicago is Awesome and NYC is exciting. I vactaion every 6-8 months in NYC & always stay abreast of prices, etc in both. Chicago is and I hear that DC is also very expensive. Chicago is not far behind NYC as far as living expenses. If you can afford it I feel that you and your husband should plan well & follow your dream of returning to NYC. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:20 PM

198 posts, read 530,289 times
I would love to live in a condo atop an enclosed mall without having to be subjected to weather. Unfortunately, the only place I know that is ideal is Columbus Circle, Time Warner Center. It is quite pricey there. Are there any other developments that are similar to that kind of arrangement?

It would be great to just step into an elevator and you can walk the mall, dine at different restaurants, go to movies. people watch etc. without having to step out into the weather. This will be my ideal retirement place.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:04 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I had friend who moved to Manhattan from Long Island after both her children went off to college. She and her husband were very happy with their decision to enjoy the city.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:26 PM

18 posts, read 30,499 times
Default Update!

Hi all...I'm the original poster!

Sold our house..and moved to NYC this past Monday. Still unpacking and madly trying to squeeze a massive amount of belongings I mistakenly brought with me....thinking it could fit in our tiny apt. Oh well.

Once I've gotten over the "unpacking" hurdle, I'm looking forward to taking advantage of all the cultural activities this city has to offer. I now have a membership to MOMA and look forward to attending some of their programs.

My husband's commute is now 30 minutes instead of 2 hours.
I am on the prowl for a job....will look in earnest when I get more settled!

Debbie

Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliehr View Post
Hi all...I'm the original poster!

Sold our house..and moved to NYC this past Monday. Still unpacking and madly trying to squeeze a massive amount of belongings I mistakenly brought with me....thinking it could fit in our tiny apt. Oh well.

Once I've gotten over the "unpacking" hurdle, I'm looking forward to taking advantage of all the cultural activities this city has to offer. I now have a membership to MOMA and look forward to attending some of their programs.

My husband's commute is now 30 minutes instead of 2 hours.
I am on the prowl for a job....will look in earnest when I get more settled!

Debbie
Congrats on the move and welcome to nyc! What neighborhood did you end up in?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 PM

18 posts, read 30,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Congrats on the move and welcome to nyc! What neighborhood did you end up in?
Thank you!

Our building is across the street from Carnegie Hall...so I think Midtown West?

Old 04-23-2015, 02:49 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
Welcome and best of luck. Starting out in Spring was a great idea.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,877 times
So happy for you!! Congratulations and enjoy!! My daughter leaves for college in 6 years and moving to the City is my plan. I keep my fingers crossed that it will work out.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajones3 View Post
Please keep in mind that Chicago and DC are also expensive places to live. Chicago is Awesome and NYC is exciting. I vactaion every 6-8 months in NYC & always stay abreast of prices, etc in both. Chicago is and I hear that DC is also very expensive. Chicago is not far behind NYC as far as living expenses. If you can afford it I feel that you and your husband should plan well & follow your dream of returning to NYC. Good luck.
chicago = chiraq. you are out of your mind if you think visiting that warzone with bloods and crips gangbangers on every street corner is "awesome." dc is filled with homeless twice as bad as nyc. housing is even worse in cost (look it up) AND it comes nowhere near nyc for opportunity or variety. not even close.

nyc is a fast city for the young, not the old. if you have lots of money, you can get by but this is a ruthless city for the middle class and old (that's who you guys are). nyc is really just a place to launch a career, not really to live if you are aren't very wealthy ala the olsen twins who just up and decided to go to nyu regardless of tuition costs and housing etc.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,089 times
My major concern about being an older person in New York is healthcare for the aging. Even the "good" hospitals in terms of patient care can be in the dark ages compared to hospitals in other states. I think this is due in part to the sheer number of people in the city, lack of geriatric doctors... If I got seriously ill I would consider moving. Also I compared the health care directive (proxy) forms from my home state to New York's and New York has work to do. That said, I would have to say there is something so vibrant about the city that I think it keeps many people ageless. When I go home many of my friends of my age, seem older. Older people in New York are different. They can be spunky and energetic. The other day a car was coming out into the cross walk when I a pedestrian and others had the right of way. An older woman easily in her seventies was infuriated. She jumped in front of me, put out her hand and yelled, "Stop!" and the car did! It (her anger and the car stopping) was fabulous. Being old in New York means you do lots of walking, less driving. If you want, you're around people more, less solitude. It also means you get to be near people from all over the world. I am constantly stopped by older people and get chatted up. I would be afraid to move to a place that shuts down at a certain time. Even though I'm a homebody I like knowing things are going on around me. The diversity of people, ease of getting around and access to culture is what keeps me here. If I was out of state, considering a move, I would do a couple months of AirBnB in different NYC neighborhoods to get the feel of where I want to be. Even though I like the idea of YOLO (you only live once) I would consider renting my home out for a year or making it an Air BnB before selling it - as a fallback plan. Read Walt Whitman's and John Steinback's quotes about New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City