Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:58 PM

33,822 posts, read 47,045,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I actually find Cypress Hills to be better than most of Bed-Stuy and Bushwick for that matter. It is really just south of Atlantic ave that brings down peoples opinion on Cypress Hills. That's where all the PJs are. Also Bushwick and Bed-Stuy both have many more PJs than Cypress Hills and City Line.

Still, its nowhere near Bay Ridge in terms of QOL.
Well south of Atlantic Avenue - that's not even Cypress Hills anymore, that's bonafide ENY!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 04:52 PM

4,169 posts, read 4,041,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalouman View Post
Hi, I am from Bay Ridge Brooklyn and I being forced to sell my house. I will only receive a third of the proceeds and the siblings get the rest. I cant afford a house in Bay Ridge only a coop and I not too happy about having a coop.

I am thinking of moving to Cypress hills, near the Highland Park. Any thoughts. thanks in advance.
I see back in May you were thinking of moving to the Rockaways. How did that work out?

Old 09-19-2014, 04:55 PM

33,822 posts, read 47,045,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
City Line has some ok blocks and some bad ones. Elderts Lane and Forbell street aren't too bad.
Outside of Pink Houses and Linden Plaza, what other bad blocks are there?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,970,829 times
I've gotten a few Pm's from people who are interesting moving to Cypress Hills in the last few months. All in all, Cypress Hills is not all that terrible, sure it's not perfect either. It isn't bonafied ENY like Seven stated, although it is nearby but so is Glendale, Woodhaven and Ozone Park and even G-word Bushwick.

In recent years a few restaurants opened in my corner of Cypress Hills. Dominican, Mexican, Ecuadorian and some smaller local chains. Who knows maybe in the future we'll have more food/dining choices. Like I said before, all CH needs is some investment and renewal instead of being a forgotten corner in Brooklyn. But the crosshairs are now aimed at CH recently and it can have an interesting future. Being that it's the nicer part of eastern Brooklyn, without a doubt. I recommend if you have the time scout the location 2-4 times during different days and even night.

Up to you dalouman. You can be part of that change. It is however coming, I see some changes already which I once assumed would never happen.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 15,658 times
I am looking into buying an investment property in the rockaways. I do think that area will change. But I want to stay in Brooklyn. It is just a hard decision.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:14 AM

Why must you own a car? Is that about getting out of the neighborhood?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 AM

so you live in Cypress hills. I am thinking of something in Eulid ave.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:39 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,970,829 times
Crescent to Marcy is about 20 minutes on the J-Train. The area is serviced by the J-Z trains. The stations in Cypress Hills are Alabama Ave to the west and Cypress Hills station to the east. A total of six stations services the neighborhood from east to west.

Also remember Cypress Hills is north of Atlantic Ave. Euclid Ave isn't bad, you have a church with 2 spires which dominates the skyline. The demographics around there is Dominican, Chinese, Bengali, Guyanese, Mexican, Ecuadorian, Colombian, Puerto Rican, Trinidadian, Jamaican. You will be taking the Crescent St station if you are planning to use the subway system.

Some images of that particular St in CH -

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6835...Fz5-xktdhw!2e0 Euclid near Fulton St and the Crescent St station (north bound)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6853...njcL9DEYEQ!2e0 Euclid 1 block away from Fulton (north bound)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6870...2jCe0mHsug!2e0 Euclid 2 blocks and so away from Fulton, near Jamaica Ave (north bound)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6886..._FbviTBHPA!2e0 On Jamaica Ave, the end of Euclid, near Salem Fields and the Bushwick bound B13 Bus. (northern CH)

Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 PM

80 posts, read 139,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalouman View Post
Why must you own a car? Is that about getting out of the neighborhood?
Sorry, I meant you don't need a car but if you do have one it's a good neighborhood for it because parking isn't too bad, at least in my area it isn't.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM

286 posts, read 352,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Outside of Pink Houses and Linden Plaza, what other bad blocks are there?
I would add in anything around the projects on Pitkin and Pennsylvania ave., especially in the summer.

Most of Linden blvd. I avoid.

the immediate area around the Cypress Hills houses on Sutter ave. once you get a block or so away it's pretty quiet.

Crescent st. Between Atlantic and Liberty ave. is pretty sketchy especially at night.

Arlington Village on Atlantic ave. near the White Castle looks like something out of the wire.

The border blocks near Brownsville have a sketchier feel as well but it's the far end of the neighborhood.

These are all South of Atlantic, I would say all of Cypress Hills and most of the area around City line is purely residential so they tend to be quiet compared to the areas listed above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City