Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:23 AM

300 posts, read 374,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightweightbaby View Post
Heres the secret. apply for nycha, food stamps, free health care, fake disability and collect beneifts, file for law suit every chance they get, pan handle. the governement provides everything to the lazy poor non working while the middle class suffers. Plus these people owns a few pets too drives bmw, land rover. They dont need to pay for food, rent is a joke, free health care, free everything.
Your post makes me laugh non stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I guess being middle or working class is stupid, because you are just going to get screwed by the rich and poor for being so patriotic paying taxes for a country that doesn't really give a fig about you. You're in the squeeze but don't hear me tho. I really hate to have to pay even more taxes at the end of the year. It makes you want to think of how you can get something extra too. That's why I don't blame the poor for getting what they can get from this system.
So in other words, two wrongs make a right? Very classy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
First off not everyone in NYCHA is that poor. Many are actually lower middle class to solidly middle class.

Two, you'll be surprised how many people have cars in this city without really needing them, they just have them for shopping/general errands and weekends. Not needing to drive them every day keeps costs down.

Three, you don't need to be that well off to afford a decent used car. In this country I know we like to think having a car is a sign of financial well-being and security but the two aren't necessarily connected at all.

Four, you sound salty.
That's quite evident. It makes you wonder where all of the poor people are in this city if they can drive Land Rovers, Range Rovers, BMW's, Porsche's and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
So in other words, two wrongs make a right? Very classy.
nope but it makes it a little bit even.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,493 times
Is it a far stretch for someone living in the projects to put together for example $2500 for hooptie and be able to afford liability-only car insurance?

Old 09-23-2014, 06:43 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Non-residents are also able to rent parking spaces at some NYCHA parking lots, so not all vehicles observed in the lots belong to residents of subsidized housing.

For a new driver in Brooklyn, the insurance rates will tend to be astronomical. See if you can get a non-vehicle owner insurance policy, i.e., a driver's policy that you have to cover you if you borrow a vehicle, and when you rent. ZipCar is different because you have to be accepted by their insurance carrier in order to become a member, so if they will allow you to be a member, take it. You would then be covered by an insurance policy, such that you could ask for a statement showing that you were covered by insurance, so when you do go to buy a car, you are not obtaining insurance as someone who has never had insurance previously.

I would look to a car sharing service, and ZipCar inclues all gas and insurance, since it will bridge the gap until you get insurance rates that are more affordable. Be honest with your children, as you have been, that it's not in the family budget right now to acquire a vehicle and car insurance; however, since you want to do things properly, you will investigate ZipCar and working towards your own car in the future if you need to do so. Depending upon your usage, ZipCar might be a great solution because the cars are well maintained, and you are not responsible for any maintenance, fuel, or insurance, as it is all included in the daily/hourly rate. The rate may look high, but when you consider the costs of car ownership, it may make sense for your needs.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-23-2014, 08:11 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
I gotta say 11KAP has been spitting some knowledge and wisdom here & bluedog2's post was along the same lines: mind yours and get yours. Seriously, whatever avenues people take to have the cars is none of your business. Don't get bogged down in whether they're doing it in the moral or right way, let them deal with that. You just focus on your goals and do what you have to do in your guidelines to get yourself a car.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCourtStah View Post
I live in Nycha housing in Brooklyn
sure you do buddy

Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 AM

89 posts, read 151,480 times
you sound like HATER. i hate using that word but its true. this is such a dumb a** question. just because someone lives in nycha, does not mean they pay $20 rent or have no job. nycha tenants pay rent according to their income. the higher the income, the higher the rent. it baffles me why you are even concerned with what someone else drives. i myself have a VERY NICE vehicle because I wanted one and could afford it.. If you want a vehicle, manage your money better, get a higher income etc, but worrying about what others have is no bueno.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:37 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityworker13 View Post
you sound like HATER. i hate using that word but its true. this is such a dumb a** question. just because someone lives in nycha, does not mean they pay $20 rent or have no job. nycha tenants pay rent according to their income. the higher the income, the higher the rent. it baffles me why you are even concerned with what someone else drives. i myself have a VERY NICE vehicle because I wanted one and could afford it.. If you want a vehicle, manage your money better, get a higher income etc, but worrying about what others have is no bueno.
Such ignorance, no notion of a broader picture whatsoever.
We are in our current mess because this is just so common. It is the "new normal."

People are angry because tax funds - which are taken from their salaries - are subsidizing people who quite often made poor life choices, which subsequently landed them in their current situations. Such as the woman on another thread who, at age 20, has not one but TWO children and resides in a shelter. When does this person realize that she chose to have children, cannot support them in the most expensive city in America, and that she is not entitled to ask others to support her.

People certainly have a right to ask without the usual ghetto baloney, "haters," "jealous," "mind your business" - this especially amusing because where our tax dollars go is the business of everyone - being summoned.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ welfare is a drop in the bucket and you know it. you're just babbling as usual.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:08 AM

89 posts, read 151,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ welfare is a drop in the bucket and you know it. you're just babbling as usual.
Emphasis on "as usual" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: