Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:42 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I reside in Riverdale and people in the neighborhood generally don't shop in the Bronx and instead go to Westchester or to Manhattan since both are close by. There's amble parking in Westchester, and plenty of upscale stores and places to eat instead of one thousand Target stores, TJ Maxx and all of these other cheap stores that are clearly targeting a certain population. The other thing with a lot of these stores in the Bronx is they tend to be rather run down and not well kept. As a result, you don't have many "upscale" neighborhoods in the Bronx for this very reason. People with money are going to want to have somewhere nice to shop and these cheesy malls and low-end retail stores don't cut it.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:08 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times
Quote:
If they really wanted change in the Bronx, they would stop building the same "shopping malls" with the same low-end retail and the same low-end wage jobs. How many of the same low-end retailers does one borough need? I've been following a number of these Bronx threads and people keep yelling about how the Bronx has to remain "affordable" (whatever that means), but the borough will never shake the stigma that it has unless it is able to draw people here with higher incomes, and these cheesy shopping malls certainly don't help. The borough for the most part isn't known for having good shopping or good places to eat. It's no wonder the place can't shake the stigma that it's carried for years.
There was a time the bronx didnt have much more than bodegas and liquor stores. compared to the severe lack of retail the bronx used to have, stores like target and the like as well as legit supermarkets are not a bad upgrade considering many areas of the Bronx didnt even have that. Shake stigma? Good shopping? it depends on who you ask. Maybe not to someone who lives on 63rd and Park or some annoying hipster transplant from nebraska but to someone who grew up on Vyse Ave or off E 170 St, its certainly an improvement of sorts.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:10 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
I like the rezoning but the name is friggin retarded. "I'm from Cromwell-Jerome" lol. Jerome sounds too ethnic they should just leave it Cromwell which sounds badass.
I agree. Honestly, Cromwell will fit in well with other Bronx neighborhood names and im really surprised theres not already a neighborhood or a housing project with that name.

THey need to redraw those borders though. Do a more rectangular, triangular pentagonal type shape to outline the neighborhood that way people can clearly see where the neighborhood starts and ends....

Old 09-25-2014, 06:56 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
I love that part of the Bronx....West Side all day....I am familiar with the area and its surroundings, I had fam that lived in Sedgwick Houses back in the 1980s. That's real Bronx right there, step streets, etc....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-26-2014, 08:39 AM

300 posts, read 374,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
There was a time the bronx didnt have much more than bodegas and liquor stores. compared to the severe lack of retail the bronx used to have, stores like target and the like as well as legit supermarkets are not a bad upgrade considering many areas of the Bronx didnt even have that. Shake stigma? Good shopping? it depends on who you ask. Maybe not to someone who lives on 63rd and Park or some annoying hipster transplant from nebraska but to someone who grew up on Vyse Ave or off E 170 St, its certainly an improvement of sorts.
I'd argue that not much has changed save the big box stores. A neighborhood like Woodlawn for example has character because it has a lot of small businesses and very few box stores. It's the small businesses that help to give each neighborhood character. You get to know the owners and workers of the establishment and they're involved and care about the community more. The other thing that still seems to be lacking is good supermarkets where you can buy fresh produce and good quality ingredients. It seems like the whole natural products and organic products missed the Bronx. What's further interesting is with the amount box stores around the bodegas still seem to be doing just fine.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:36 AM

624 posts, read 982,695 times
The bronx just needs better quality small stores. That won't happen until the median income level improves. Poor people don't care about coffee shops, organic food, etc.. Even the liquor store in my neighborhood is crappy. The wine selection is pretty poor there.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:32 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I love that part of the Bronx....West Side all day....I am familiar with the area and its surroundings, I had fam that lived in Sedgwick Houses back in the 1980s. That's real Bronx right there, step streets, etc....
West Side!

Love all that. Hilly streets, car repair shops under the Jerome ave EL, Dominican flavor etc

Old 09-27-2014, 12:33 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
West Side!

Love all that. Hilly streets, car repair shops under the Jerome ave EL, Dominican flavor etc
Yeah, Inwood Avenue, Featherbed Lane, Macombs Road, love that part of the X

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-27-2014, 01:40 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
I reside in Riverdale and people in the neighborhood generally don't shop in the Bronx and instead go to Westchester or to Manhattan since both are close by. There's amble parking in Westchester, and plenty of upscale stores and places to eat instead of one thousand Target stores, TJ Maxx and all of these other cheap stores that are clearly targeting a certain population. The other thing with a lot of these stores in the Bronx is they tend to be rather run down and not well kept. As a result, you don't have many "upscale" neighborhoods in the Bronx for this very reason. People with money are going to want to have somewhere nice to shop and these cheesy malls and low-end retail stores don't cut it.
Very true. People in Westchester will damn near skin you alive if you even equate them with the Bronx. New Rochelle is very clean and well kept.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:19 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Like this area in Brooklyn is now being called PLG instead of East Flatbush.
No.

PLG is to Flatbush what Stuyvesant Heights is to Bed-Stuy.

Both PLG and Stuyvesant Heights are still apart of Flatbush and Bed-Stuy, respectively. However, before Brooklyn became "The City of Brooklyn" these areas were their own entities/neighborhoods.

In short when everything consolidated later on smaller areas became apart of the lager ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City