Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 AM

300 posts, read 374,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I've never had any issues with PP, even the section where the PJ's are!

Pelham Parkway is too long of a strip for any section to be called "seedy".

Anyone who has a problem with Pelham Parkway has a problem no one can solve!
We're not talking the strip. I'm talking about the neighborhood overall. All of the Pelham Parkway corridor looks fine, but if you go north of that, some areas aren't all that nice looking. Run down store fronts, trash blowing around. I don't know any other word for it but seedy, especially heading north along White Plains Rd. I think having that subway above makes the place look darker and grimier too.

I think that's the problem with a lot of the Bronx. The nice sections are overshadowed by the run down areas and the really nice parts are for the most part far away and quite isolated. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 AM

624 posts, read 982,847 times
Isolated incidents like this don't mean much. For example, stabbings at parties like this have happened in Columbia MD, which is one of the more affluent suburbs in the state of Maryland. Every neighborhood has its ghetto pockets.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Isolated incidents like this don't mean much. For example, stabbings at parties like this have happened in Columbia MD, which is one of the more affluent suburbs in the state of Maryland. Every neighborhood has its ghetto pockets.
Well I believe you're a new comer to the Bronx? Is that right? Here's a question for you... If the area of the Bronx that you're in (is it Bedford Park?) weren't cheap as you mentioned in a previous thread, would you have moved to the borough? I just have to ask because if it wasn't for the price, I don't think a lot of folks would be moving there.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:34 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
It's really horrible that a 14 year old is dead here but honestly you have to blame the parents…..yes,I do blame them. 14 years old and out on the streets at 3 am with the parents not having a clue .

While this is the second murder in the neighborhood in the last couple of weeks……an Italian guy stabbed his wife to death with scissors last Sunday….. the crime rate overall is down about 15% from last year and it continues to be one of the safest areas in the city.

As I have said many times before on here,I don't pay much attention at all to murders or the murder rate in analyzing crime.They are almost always incidents,like this murder and the last one and all of the others in the neighborhood in the last year, that involve people who know each other and or drug and gang ****.

If robberies,assaults and that kind of stuff start going up a lot I might worry.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's really horrible that a 14 year old is dead here but honestly you have to blame the parents…..yes,I do blame them. 14 years old and out on the streets at 3 am with the parents not having a clue .

While this is the second murder in the neighborhood in the last couple of weeks……an Italian guy stabbed his wife to death with scissors last Sunday….. the crime rate overall is down about 15% from last year and it continues to be one of the safest areas in the city.

As I have said many times before on here,I don't pay much attention at all to murders or the murder rate in analyzing crime.They are almost always incidents,like this murder and the last one and all of the others in the neighborhood in the last year, that involve people who know each other and or drug and gang ****. If robberies,assaults and that kind of stuff start going up a lot I might worry.
I'll agree with you there. I think these are isolated incidents and nothing to go bananas over, but it's still shocking nonetheless. You say that the crime numbers went down last year... Was Pelham Parkway on the decline at some point? I get the impression that it was based on your comments.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:39 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:

As I have said many times before on here,I don't pay much attention at all to murders or the murder rate in analyzing crime.They are almost always incidents,like this murder and the last one and all of the others in the neighborhood in the last year, that involve people who know each other and or drug and gang ****.

If robberies,assaults and that kind of stuff start going up a lot I might worry.
Yeah, I agree. I saw that about the old timer. Over pain meds? BTW Bluedog, Is this a nice part of the area? Mostly apt buildings?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:41 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
I'm not debating that parts of Pelham Parkway are nice, but like I said, you don't have to go too far North of Pelham Parkway before it becomes completely ghetto. You tell me... Is that neighborhood really worth $1,500 for a one bedroom? I'd much rather pay $1,600 - 1,800 for another neighborhood. I think Morris Park is a much better choice than Pelham Parkway, although I would move away from that Van Nest area. Complete ghetto.
People are paying well over a 1,000 dollars a month in the South Bronx. There are a ton of people looking to rent which IMO has caused big rents. At one time in NYC one could get much cheaper rents in less desirable areas. i don't think that matters any more.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:45 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
I'll agree with you there. I think these are isolated incidents and nothing to go bananas over, but it's still shocking nonetheless. You say that the crime numbers went down last year... Was Pelham Parkway on the decline at some point? I get the impression that it was based on your comments.
Depends on how you measure decline…..crime numbers have done nothing but go down steadily for the last 20 or 30 years even though the neighborhood has simultaneously become less and less white. Some people will claim it was a much better neighborhood 20 years ago even though the crime rate was much,much higher then. Personally,I think the neighborhood is both cleaner and safer now than it was then.The few octogenarian ladies who have been living in my building since the 1960's agree.They say the 70's and early 80's was the worst….as was the case everywhere in the city.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Depends on how you measure decline…..crime numbers have done nothing but go down steadily for the last 20 or 30 years even though the neighborhood has simultaneously become less and less white. Some people will claim it was a much better neighborhood 20 years ago even though the crime rate was much,much higher then. Personally,I think the neighborhood is both cleaner and safer now than it was then.The few octogenarian ladies who have been living in my building since the 1960's agree.They say the 70's and early 80's was the worst….as was the case everywhere in the city.
I'm curious as to why whites continue to move if crime continues to go down and where are they moving to and who is replacing them? I think that was one of the things that I noticed when going through there. That and the few sketchy thug types walking around. I would not feel safe living there. This was over by White Plains Rd and Thwaites Pl.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:05 AM

624 posts, read 982,847 times
Quote:
Well I believe you're a new comer to the Bronx? Is that right? Here's a question for you... If the area of the Bronx that you're in (is it Bedford Park?) weren't cheap as you mentioned in a previous thread, would you have moved to the borough? I just have to ask because if it wasn't for the price, I don't think a lot of folks would be moving there.
I am in Bedford Park / Norwood / Mosholu area and yes of course price was one of the major reasons I moved there. My situation is somewhat unique so the physical location also works well for me for a number of other reasons. I assume you must have read my Bronx thread if you know I live in Bedford Park, that has the details.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Price is usually the #1 factor for anyone looking at where to live. I never claimed that Bedford Park is the best neighborhood in NYC or the Bronx is the most desirable borough on its own merits. With an unlimited budget there are plenty of better options but all that is painfully obvious. Given my situation, budget, and personal preferences, Bedford Park was the best option for me and right now I'm very happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City