Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 04:14 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

For more than what is it now, two years? This sad and sorry story of Long Island College has dragged out . It's closing, not closing. There is a deal, then there isn't a deal. There is a deal but this group is suing to block it.....

Now it appears Cuomo isn't going to have what is left of LICH closing on his watch, well not at least during the final months of his re-election bid, soooooo now we have this: N.Y.U. returns, conditionally, to salvage LICH deal | Capital New York

In true NYS fashion it appears someone has leaned on both NYU and the judge presiding over this hot mess to bring about closure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,726 times
This is a national tragedy. This is a worse tragedy than Ferguson, MO. This is a worse tragedy than Ebola in West Africa. It is appalling that no one is paying attention to Long Beach University Hospital.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 PM

250 posts, read 269,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
This is a national tragedy. This is a worse tragedy than Ferguson, MO. This is a worse tragedy than Ebola in West Africa. It is appalling that no one is paying attention to Long Beach University Hospital.

Sigh. I give up.

Anyway, LICH is another example of mismanagement and overpaid administrators of SUNY. They were hemorrhaging money like crazy. SUNY Downstate Hospital on Clarkson Ave in Brooklyn is also going through to same problems and I believe it's only a matter of time before the same thing happens to them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/ny...l-straits.html

Last edited by belltolls; 09-29-2014 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 09:50 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
white collar criminals/vampires are everywhere and and more active than ever and bleeding this nation at unprecedented levels, yet so little attention has been directed towards those low lives.

i hate thugs on the streets like everybody else does, but i am more concerned by these white collar low lives who are well dressed and concealed from public attention yet they suck the system much harder than those sporadic street thugs.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:56 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belltolls View Post
Sigh. I give up.

Anyway, LICH is another example of mismanagement and overpaid administrators of SUNY. They were hemorrhaging money like crazy. SUNY Downstate Hospital on Clarkson Ave in Brooklyn is also going through to same problems and I believe it's only a matter of time before the same thing happens to them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/ny...l-straits.html

The finances of LICH must be truly awful for no other group of hospitals to even want to touch them.

NS-LIJ, for example, is willing to buy hospitals in debt with potential---but it can't be THAT dire. LICH must be pretty awful.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
The finances of LICH must be truly awful for no other group of hospitals to even want to touch them.

NS-LIJ, for example, is willing to buy hospitals in debt with potential---but it can't be THAT dire. LICH must be pretty awful.
As with Saint Vincent's it just isn't about the money (debt). The nature of healthcare is changing especially in how it is delivered. Those that look at the area surrounding LICH reach the same conclusion; at this time there just isn't a need for a full service hospital.

Yea, North Shore Hospital-Long Island Jewish is flush with money (they paid all cash several years ago for Lenox Hill Hospital), but they aren't stupid either. When they spend money it is because the numbers work.

That new urgent/walk-in care center in the West Village that replaced St. Vincent's is a primary example. It employs only about 300 persons in total with only one hundred or so on duty at any time. Also the place acts as a feeder to Lenox Hill Hospital for patients. That is unless you are *VERY* critical chances are if you require further care than can be provided in that setting you will be sent (by ambulance) all the way from the WV to UES (Lenox Hill Hospital). That urgent care center will make money for LHH and NS-LIJ without the costs and hassles of running a full service hospital.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:15 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
white collar criminals/vampires are everywhere and and more active than ever and bleeding this nation at unprecedented levels, yet so little attention has been directed towards those low lives.

i hate thugs on the streets like everybody else does, but i am more concerned by these white collar low lives who are well dressed and concealed from public attention yet they suck the system much harder than those sporadic street thugs.
The evil corporation didn't kill the last deal.. it was the nursing union.
Nursing union thugs wanted to force NYU to keep the lazy sub-standard LICH nurses instead of more qualified NYU nurses. Blame the union friendly liberal judge who forced the ruling.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:49 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
urgent care center will make money ... without the costs and hassles of running a full service hospital.
EXCLUSIVE: Headaches top the list of emergency room ailments at city-run Kings County Hospital - NY Daily News
"likely drug addicts using it as a bogus excuse to get narcotics"
Some things never change:
Before You Go to the Emergency Room, Read This

Old 09-30-2014, 04:54 PM

Deal is back on with NYU once again.

Big mouth liberal/progressive State Supreme Court Justice Johnny Lee Baynes either was leaned on or otherwise got at because today he reversed himself and ruled NYU will *NOT* be party to the LICH nurse's lawsuit. Having won their demands and other points NYU Hospital has agreed to continue with the original plan.
Brooklyn judge rules against nurses in NYU - LICH case | Brooklyn Daily Eagle

Glad someone finally shut that judge up.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:03 PM

379 posts, read 517,795 times
Hey I thought The Affordable Care Act (Obama Care) was going to fix all of this! I have been to LICH a few times and I always thought it was a dump along the lines of an Interfaith Hospital, Victory Memorial or a St Mary's. Hospital care in this country is going to change drastically in the next twenty yeards due to the new laws and available financing. My advise is, don't get sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City