Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
What in the world are you talking about.
Exactly what I said. A lot of tenement housing is being torn down currently in Harlem.

Investors continue to snap up properties. Of course it's got aways to go before it's fully gentrified. But fairly rapid changes are happening, and there have been major purchases recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh yes I do, so stop with the snarky attitude.

You think Harlem has some sort of monopoly on rats in bin liner bags/rubbish containers on streets?
Not that I need to link this, but anyone who has any sense would be able to acknowledge all Manhattan has a rat problem.

Midtown Park overrun with rats drawn by cabbies

This is on how a midtown park is full of rats. Ditto for other major parks. Ditto for garbage bins in the subways all over the city.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:40 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Exactly what I said. A lot of tenement housing is being torn down currently in Harlem.

Investors continue to snap up properties. Of course it's got aways to go before it's fully gentrified. But fairly rapid changes are happening, and there have been major purchases recently.
And where, exactly, are these tear-downs taking place.
Do tell.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Do you know anything about Riverview? That Mitchell-Lama building on 140th with the balconies by Riverside Drive?
I know two couples (not well) who live there and have a friend who is hoping to get in.
Apparently it is good ...?
No amenities nearby apparently being the biggest compromise.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Oh yes I do, so stop with the snarky attitude.

You think Harlem has some sort of monopoly on rats in bin liner bags/rubbish containers on streets?
I think, again, that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
And where, exactly, are these tear-downs taking place.
Do tell.
You claim to live in Harlem so you should see these tear downs, and you should know exactly where action is taking place from virtue of living in Harlem.

But I don't think you even live there.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
You claim to live in Harlem so you should see these tear downs, and you should know exactly where action is taking place from virtue of living in Harlem.
There are no tenements being torn down on a significant scale in Harlem. Period.

If there are any at all. There are always one or two random examples of anything. Which you have failed to provide, although I expect you are busily researching on the internet as we speak.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
There are no tenements being torn down on a significant scale in Harlem. Period.

If there are any at all. There are always one or two random examples of anything. Which you have failed to provide, although I expect you are busily researching on the internet as we speak.
Not researching. I live in East Harlem and there's no need to research on what I see daily.

As for West Harlem, I'm there often enough and no need to research what I see on a regular basis.

Walk around Harlem, if you even live in NYC and you'll see what tenements are being purchased, torn down and gutted.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Not researching. I live in East Harlem and there's no need to research on what I see daily.

As for West Harlem, I'm there often enough and no need to research what I see on a regular basis.

Walk around Harlem, if you even live in NYC and you'll see what tenements are being purchased, torn down and gutted.
Again, where, exactly, have you seen these mythical tear-downs ? Especially on the west side. Please do cite an example. You should have no trouble at all doing so since you see this on a daily basis. On the other hand, you do understand that the discussion is about Harlem in New York, right ? Perhaps that's the problem.

Do you mean the Taystee site ? Which are not tenement buildings by any means. Columbia building area ? A few tenements, nothing that significant, and scarcely representative of anything across Harlem. The building on 125th ? which may not be torn down after all and was not a tenement in any case. There is just ONE building on Morningside, but it is not a tenement really and may not be torn down in the end given some recent meetings. Another was saved and nobody believed that would happen until it did.

FYI - "tearing down" and "gutting" are two vastly different enterprises. Some of the guttings underway right now were long overdue.

The fact is that tenements are not being torn down at a significant rate in Harlem. This was a preposterous statement.

Moreover ... once again, methinks the lady doth protest too much here.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 AM

49 posts, read 49,015 times
They are in fact tearing down industrial buildings, and former 1 or 2 level retail/commercial buildings. Tenement buildings are being rehabbed/gutted, and certainly not torn down in Harlem. The only place you are seeing walk-ups/tenements occasionally torn down is south of 96th street when developers buyup a row of them to make way for a new luxury commercial or residential tower. Harlem's tenements are going nowhere...simply being renovated/gutted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City