Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 08:52 AM

76 posts, read 127,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICCAT View Post
Is their a bus that stops close to Costco?
Yes, the Q103 bus stops along Vernon Blvd and runs all the way up to Costco. I've made the trip several times. It's not that bad. Weekend service for that line was also permanently added recently.

Weekend Service Permanently Added to Queens Waterfront Bus Route - Astoria - DNAinfo.com New York

Old 07-23-2015, 09:22 AM

101 posts, read 159,457 times
My letter for the interview does not mention bringing a money order or check for the background and credit check, did you guys had to provide one?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:29 AM

69 posts, read 108,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtresko View Post
I think you must've been living in closets all this time if you think those apts are large. Without exception I've seen close to 10 apts on the 2nd floor in Commons and all them seemed pretty small to me. But the quality of construction seems to be high end and the surrounding area is beautiful. I guess its all a matter of perspective of what's most important to the people who apply.
Definitely a matter of perspective. Nonetheless, I wouldn't call the apartments I viewed small.

One bed apartment rentals in NYC average about 750 square feet and cost 2700 per month.

Even in the outer boroughs, I've viewed tons of 1 bedroom apartments that were smaller than 750 sqft.
In my opinion, you must factor in location, the age of the building & amenities. I would much rather live in a slightly smaller unit that checks all of the boxes than in a large apartment in a much less desirable location.

Also, we were told that units on higher floors are a bit larger since there are fewer apartments.
I attached the floor plan we chose...
Attached Thumbnails
Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-hps_3202floorplan1.jpg  

Last edited by aml1026; 07-23-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 09:38 AM

142 posts, read 198,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
Yes, the Q103 bus stops along Vernon Blvd and runs all the way up to Costco. I've made the trip several times. It's not that bad. Weekend service for that line was also permanently added recently.

Weekend Service Permanently Added to Queens Waterfront Bus Route - Astoria - DNAinfo.com New York
Thank you!!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina50 View Post
My letter for the interview does not mention bringing a money order or check for the background and credit check, did you guys had to provide one?
No, you do not need to bring those items in.
Only when you are signing your lease will you need to bring a bank check to cover the rent, deposit and application fee.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 AM

50 posts, read 68,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aml1026 View Post
Definitely a matter of perspective. Nonetheless, I wouldn't call the apartments I viewed small.

One bed apartment rentals in NYC average about 750 square feet and cost 2700 per month.

Even in the outer boroughs, I've viewed tons of 1 bedroom apartments that were smaller than 750 sqft.
In my opinion, you must factor in location, the age of the building & amenities. I would much rather live in a slightly smaller unit that checks all of the boxes than in a large apartment in a much less desirable location.

Also, we were told that units on higher floors are a bit larger since there are fewer apartments.
I attached the floor plan we choose...
Faces west, the water, right?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 AM

76 posts, read 127,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aml1026 View Post

I attached the floor plan we choose...
Thank you for sharing! This is absolutely helpful and provides real information to everyone on the forum. And congrats on your apartment - It looks wonderful!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 AM

357 posts, read 656,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
In regard to all the talk about how small the apartments are -

I provided floor plans to this forum for one bedroom units I was offered early in the process. Let's compare to a market rate one bedroom apartment one block from HPS that is not waterfront to one of those HPS units.

Market rate non-waterfront apartment, $3199
Living Room: 19'-6" x 11'-0" (214 sqft)
Bedroom: 13'-6" x 10 - 6" (142 sqft)

HPS Apartment $533 - $2509
Living Room: 16'-5" x 15'-5" (253 sqft)
Bedroom: 12'-5" x 11'-2" (139 sqft)

I think these show that many people are willing to pay a lot more for about the same amount of space. By all means, if the apartment you are offered is for some reason insanely small, let's have a talk about how to make the best use of that space - but offer us some actual proof or floor plans to discuss. Anyone who made it to seeing units was given floor plans and yet no one has offered copies of these for studios, especially by the people who keep saying they are small. I'd be happy to see studio floor plans and talk about use of the space.

But without actual information, this line of conversation is repetitive and not helpful to the overall thread.
Well said.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:56 AM

101 posts, read 159,457 times
Thanks!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 AM

Yeah! We're south-west. Both of the units on our floor that face west are two-three bedroom apartments.
We picked this unit because it has that little corner window in the bedroom. In the attached picture, I highlighted the unit we selected. It's either that one or the one directly below it...

@crossingstenant thank you! we are so excited! have you moved in yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-hps-exterior.jpg  

Last edited by aml1026; 07-23-2015 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery