Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 AM

103 posts, read 158,805 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Gosh, I wish I had found this thread earlier - it's so nice to see others going through the same process. I'll provide a quick backstory and hope I can maybe provide some help to others going through the process!

We were originally contacted in late February and told we were "potentially eligible applicants". We quickly pulled together all our paperwork and a week later, we were called in for our interview. At that time (early March), both buildings were very much under construction but our agent gave us a tour of a one bedroom within Commons. At that time, it was still empty and had just been painted - this became the model unit that you see in all of the press articles. After that, we were shown two floorplans for one bedrooms on higher floors in Crossing (both the same layout, just different floors) and signed our lease that night for a July 1 move date. We received a call a few weeks later letting us know of the construction delays and our move-in was adjusted to the end of August.

For the weeks and months that followed, I tried to keep communication open every few weeks but honestly found much more information on my own through the NYC BIS website. I don't blame HPS as it seems like they are only given updates from the construction team every once in a while. I was able to keep an eye on the issuance of occupancy certificates and see how construction was progressing based on what permits were being issued and generally knew what was going on before HPS had the info.

Fast forward to this week - we were asked to resubmit pay stubs, employment verification, etc and were told that the HDC requires that these documents be dated within 120 days of the lease start date. I was a bit nervous during this time since it felt like everything we submitted was being reviewed once again and since we didn't have a copy of the lease or anything, it was a bit nerve wracking. Thankfully all went well and we went by yesterday to sign our updated lease. Oddly enough, it was the same lease we had signed in March (and still showed the July date) but our agent told us that the additional pages we were signing were for HDC and that the old date would just be struck in the lease and updated by hand. In addition to the lease, we signed a HDC TIC indicating our income, a letter stating that our income hasn't drastically changed since first lease signing and a third letter called the "Building Preference List" which just had a bunch of options like "low/high floor, facing west, terrace, etc" with some options checked off. I guess this was filled out during our initial phone call.

Here's a few bits of info I learned yesterday:

- The final TCO for Crossing was issued on 7/22 for the remaining floors. Move ins for floors above 21 should begin soon. (We were given a date in late August).
- The TCO for Commons certifies it up to the 12th floor and according to our agent, there's "only a handful" of people that have moved in already, mostly on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
- There are a TON of elevators in Commons... there are two banks, one on either side of the lobby and each bank has 3-5 elevators. Ironically, we've yet to see the lobby of our building or our unit just yet except for taking a peek in the lobby while walking by.
- Construction is wrapping up on Commons, at least externally. The construction elevators were dismantled and the apartments that are behind them are due to have the windows installed soon.
- As mentioned earlier, there is a move-in coordinator who handles hand over of the keys and schedules your move slot to avoid traffic jams, etc.
- The parking garage is officially open. Monthly spots start at $300 which includes full valet service. There's a phone number you text and if you tell them when you need your car, it'll be waiting on the ground level at that time. Oddly, if you want to park it yourself, there's an additional cost. The parking manager told me that people have stopped by and reserved spots for a November or December start date so if you need a spot, don't feel like you have to wait until you're already moved in.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:54 AM

218 posts, read 473,332 times
Anyone know of parking garage in the area and the cost?

Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 AM

136 posts, read 217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
Hi everyone!

Gosh, I wish I had found this thread earlier - it's so nice to see others going through the same process. I'll provide a quick backstory and hope I can maybe provide some help to others going through the process!

We were originally contacted in late February and told we were "potentially eligible applicants". We quickly pulled together all our paperwork and a week later, we were called in for our interview. At that time (early March), both buildings were very much under construction but our agent gave us a tour of a one bedroom within Commons. At that time, it was still empty and had just been painted - this became the model unit that you see in all of the press articles. After that, we were shown two floorplans for one bedrooms on higher floors in Crossing (both the same layout, just different floors) and signed our lease that night for a July 1 move date. We received a call a few weeks later letting us know of the construction delays and our move-in was adjusted to the end of August.

For the weeks and months that followed, I tried to keep communication open every few weeks but honestly found much more information on my own through the NYC BIS website. I don't blame HPS as it seems like they are only given updates from the construction team every once in a while. I was able to keep an eye on the issuance of occupancy certificates and see how construction was progressing based on what permits were being issued and generally knew what was going on before HPS had the info.

Fast forward to this week - we were asked to resubmit pay stubs, employment verification, etc and were told that the HDC requires that these documents be dated within 120 days of the lease start date. I was a bit nervous during this time since it felt like everything we submitted was being reviewed once again and since we didn't have a copy of the lease or anything, it was a bit nerve wracking. Thankfully all went well and we went by yesterday to sign our updated lease. Oddly enough, it was the same lease we had signed in March (and still showed the July date) but our agent told us that the additional pages we were signing were for HDC and that the old date would just be struck in the lease and updated by hand. In addition to the lease, we signed a HDC TIC indicating our income, a letter stating that our income hasn't drastically changed since first lease signing and a third letter called the "Building Preference List" which just had a bunch of options like "low/high floor, facing west, terrace, etc" with some options checked off. I guess this was filled out during our initial phone call.

Here's a few bits of info I learned yesterday:

- The final TCO for Crossing was issued on 7/22 for the remaining floors. Move ins for floors above 21 should begin soon. (We were given a date in late August).
- The TCO for Commons certifies it up to the 12th floor and according to our agent, there's "only a handful" of people that have moved in already, mostly on the 2nd and 3rd floors.
- There are a TON of elevators in Commons... there are two banks, one on either side of the lobby and each bank has 3-5 elevators. Ironically, we've yet to see the lobby of our building or our unit just yet except for taking a peek in the lobby while walking by.
- Construction is wrapping up on Commons, at least externally. The construction elevators were dismantled and the apartments that are behind them are due to have the windows installed soon.
- As mentioned earlier, there is a move-in coordinator who handles hand over of the keys and schedules your move slot to avoid traffic jams, etc.
- The parking garage is officially open. Monthly spots start at $300 which includes full valet service. There's a phone number you text and if you tell them when you need your car, it'll be waiting on the ground level at that time. Oddly, if you want to park it yourself, there's an additional cost. The parking manager told me that people have stopped by and reserved spots for a November or December start date so if you need a spot, don't feel like you have to wait until you're already moved in.
I was in the same boat as you when it came to finding out info such as c/o, and new updates...I had to visit ny dob sites to find out the latest status, since HPS didnt know themselves. I also tried to post comments here to inquire more info and their experiences, though i later realized that either people are just rude, or dont want to hear any negative comments and will consider you a troll...go figure. With such "flexible" attitude, you can't go far in life.

I am glad the worst of the process is behind and looking forward to starting a new page at Commons...

Old 07-23-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefgnewyork View Post
Anyone know of parking garage in the area and the cost?
The garage within the Commons building has 4 levels and starts at $300 a month. This is pretty peer competitive with some of the other garages in the area. The next closest one is on 50th Avenue, about a block away. It's the same monthly price but pretty sure it is full.

The manager at the garage, which is managed by the Manhattan Parking Group (MPG) was really friendly and mentioned that since they just opened, there's a ton of space.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The garage within the Commons building has 4 levels and starts at $300 a month. This is pretty peer competitive with some of the other garages in the area. The next closest one is on 50th Avenue, about a block away. It's the same monthly price but pretty sure it is full.

The manager at the garage, which is managed by the Manhattan Parking Group (MPG) was really friendly and mentioned that since they just opened, there's a ton of space.
Thank you! I was looking for something where I can park per day since we won't be having our car with us all the time, only when we need it. We were thinking about parking at a relatives house in queens and picking it up when we need it. But for day's we have the car we would like to park in the garage if we can't find parking on the street.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefgnewyork View Post
Thank you! I was looking for something where I can park per day since we won't be having our car with us all the time. Only when we need it...
Sorry, I could've been clearer - the garage within Commons isn't limited to monthlies. Like most of the other garages, they have hourly/daily rates too. Again, it was pretty competitive - I think the special was something like $10-12 for 12 hours. Definitely an option if you just need to park once in a while.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I could've been clearer - the garage within Commons isn't limited to monthlies. Like most of the other garages, they have hourly/daily rates too. Again, it was pretty competitive - I think the special was something like $10-12 for 12 hours. Definitely an option if you just need to park once in a while.
Thank you so much! This helps a lot!!

Old 07-23-2015, 02:14 PM

46 posts, read 65,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aml1026 View Post
Yeah! We're south-west. Both of the units on our floor that face west are two-three bedroom apartments.
We picked this unit because it has that little corner window in the bedroom. In the attached picture, I highlighted the unit we selected. It's either that one or the one directly below it...

@crossingstenant thank you! we are so excited! have you moved in yet?
Beautiful!!! Congrats!!

Old 07-23-2015, 02:24 PM

76 posts, read 127,264 times
We were just contacted to re-verify our income for our mid-September move in at Crossing. So anyone else who signed a lease earlier in the process, it looks like they'll be in touch about a month and a half before. They asked for our four most recent pay stubs.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:26 PM

46 posts, read 65,026 times
Quote:

Thank you for all that information. I appreciate it!! It pains me to pay those $300 a month but do you know what they need to reserve the spot? A deposit and the first month? I want to try it and see if I can manage but I don't want to enter a year contract I. Case it doesn't work. I emailed the person I've been in contact with at MPG but haven't heard back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery